Economy and well built trawler, tight budget....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Art I don't ever think of MPG. Only GPH. Willy burns 1GPH and goes 6.15 knots so I guess it's 6 MPG. That's over twice as bad as my 73 Buick.

And a FD boat requires 3 or 4 hp per ton of displacement. My Willard has 5. Four hp per ton is about as close as one can get not considering the specific boat in question. The Clipper has an extremely fine entry fwd and an easy exit aft. I suspect the wetted surface is not high. Displacement for a 34' X 10.5' FD is rather light. Could be that 24hp should push her close to hull speed and cruise her at 3/4 of a knot below hull speed. But I'd put 30 to 32hp in her if I was repowering.

Bob,
One what ... Clipper?
Predictions of power and speed for a FD boat is far simpler than faster craft. And it helps to have similar boats to compare. 40hp for this boat would be almost overpowered. 60hp certainly is. Why have 60hp when 16 is all that's necessary. It's not that I have extreme ideas. It's just that FD boats require so much (or little) power w a little for headwinds (like 15%) and that's it. They say the Willard 30' boats take 18hp to run about 6 knots ... a knot below hull speed. And that is just about exactly where you want to be. My highest cruising speed is 6.4 knots at 2500rpm. That's 500 down from max of 3000rpm. Nobody in their right mind cruises a FD boat over 1/2 a knot below hull speed. I'd say from 1/2 a knot below and up is overdriven and if one wants to get into those speeds a SD hull or extreme length to beam ratios as in a catamaran would be appropriate or/and necessary.

Bummer

There is one for sale in Ladysmith, BC on the dock next to the Maritime Society dock. Trying to find the photo now. Original owner, not modified.

It sold and has already moved onto it's new home...:nonono:

Two really different boats, one roomy and one not. I know exactly which one I prefer but it's not my money being spent...

Oh- feel free to give your input. We are a family of three and have spent time on as little as 22' So either will work space wise. Usually when we are out we use our boat to get us to places. But also enjoy the bay and eating dinner while watching the sun set. I see the benefit of both. I am more attracted though to the Willard, less exterior maintenance, more robust hull, better economy, American built - would probably be easier to sell when the time comes....I think I just answered my own questions.

Oh- feel free to give your input. We are a family of three and have spent time on as little as 22' So either will work space wise. Usually when we are out we use our boat to get us to places. But also enjoy the bay and eating dinner while watching the sun set. I see the benefit of both. I am more attracted though to the Willard, less exterior maintenance, more robust hull, better economy, American built - would probably be easier to sell when the time comes....I think I just answered my own questions.

Yup - You Did!

bshillam,
No comment on the Tung Hwa other than they didn't even take the time to clean the brown mustache off the bow. And that indicates the've run the boat a lot.

The Searcher is a beauty but not fully restored. Very overpowered. Using only 18 out of 55hp will leave you very underloaded. The 40hp Yanmar would have been a better choice.
The big difference between our Nomad and the Searcher is storage space. The Nomad has a "hold" about 10' wide, 2.5+' high and about 4' long. Short people could have a party down there. Not much other storage on the Nomad.
I think the engine is further fwd as it is on the Horizon.

If you did all this to a cheaper Willard you could spend $50K to even $100K to dupe this boat.

Is the replaced ballast just the Laz or the whole boat. I suspect just the Laz. That was the case w our Nomad and as I recall the others on Willard Boat Owners.

But the answer is yes it's probably worth it. As an investment though ?? Still probably OK if you maintain it.

Eric,
When you say it's not fully restored what do you mean by that? Do you know something I do not? The list of new on this is quite extensive -

I do think I am moving towards a Vega. They appear to fill all my needs and check list for the next boat. Enough of a boat that we all can enjoy but small enough that it will still be economical to own.

Forget the Chung HUA , the Willard is a winner! Looks like a lot of well executed work that adds long term value! I don't know what a beater could be purchased for but if you want a nice, clean, sorted boat you probably could not make it like the one in the photos it you were given the beater. And just forget that absurd comment about "Overpowered". That motor is just what an old Willard needs! Sure you could make a contraption with a bicycle and some pulleys attached to the shaft and strap your wife to it to power that hull, but what fun would that be. Start with an offer low enough that the seller curses you soundly, and then in January he'll call you back with a great price! Good luck.

Couldn't resist

Ok so today I took a ride on a Willard Vega Voyager just for a little around the block cruise. Not very long - but enough to know the ride quality was solid - I guess I was a bit nervous of the tippy that I have read about. But if anyone has ran a 4000 lbs boat and takes a ride on a Willard it's night and day. So no soon as we completed the ride we turned around and submitted an offer. We will know within a few hours. My plan is to personally inspect the boat as it had a survey just two years ago. After inspection, go for a quick sea trial (change the oil) and then head out on a two day 100 plus mile journey back home! Of course with spare belts, oil filters, fuel filters etc.
I'll let everyone know how it goes from here. Specially if I take the journey. :dance:

No survey? What's the hurry?

A 2 year old survey by who-knows-who is not worth much. A survey might only cost a few hundred dollars, but could save you thousands. What's a few hundred bucks in the big scheme of things?

The more I think about it the more I'd be inclined to just buy it after a reasonable survey.

Re the comment about the power by billy feet I didn't intend to call the overpowering out as a dealbreaker. It's not good and I'd recommend on the strongest terms not to do it if repowering but this has been done and the boat's so nice I'd probBly overlook it myself especially if the boat was a Voyager.

Best of luck.

Good to hear, bshillam. I was wondering if that was the one you made the offer on. She's a beaut! Keep us posted.

>I guess I was a bit nervous of the tippy that I have read about.<

A lubbers tippy is a serious boaters sea kindly.

I didn't find it "tippy". I expect a little roll from the shape of the hull but it was sitting down nice in the water. I just wanted to feel it for myself.

True, serious boater sea kindly!

Survey should take place today. Still on track for delivery on Friday.

Good luck with survey . Hope all goes well . You gotta luv those Willies !

Twixt you and Eric I look forward to learning evermore about Willies. Looks like nice boat... Best Luck!

Surveyor got back to me today and really had to stretch to come up with much. He mentioned the propane system does have to be brought up. It needs to electronic actuators. Also a GFI switch to be installed on the 110 side. And in the v-berth storage containers there is some gel coat flaking/glazing, strichly cosmetic. The funny thing is those things you store won't care what condition the locker is in.....This will probably be on the get around to it before you sell the boat list. Other than that he said it was in good shape and valued the boat really well.
I have booked tickets on Friday to land in Comox and pick up the boat with a good friend of mine. Between him and I we should be able to get into some serious trouble. We'll have two VHFS, three GPS, paper charts, spare oil and fuel filters, belts, diesel and a basic tool set. I am hopeful as prepared we are going to be that we don't need anything of those preparations. Other than the instant coffee and hot oat meal.
Cheers!

Fine looking boat. I've always loved anything "Willard" and yours in particular is a wonderful catch--very nice indeed! Nothing like a boat that actually looks like a boat!Congratulations and enjoy! I look forward to reading more!

Travel safe! And, Congrats!!

What a beautiful boat! Practically spotless, definitely picked up a good one. Congrats!! :thumb::thumb:

Bet that SS Claw has Eric second guessing Willys ground tackle.:D

Wow. That was in Comox? Beautiful boat. I missed that one. I would've swapped out my NT for such a boat. Best of luck.

Best of luck with your Willard. I have coveted that boat ever since I first saw Savary on the Willard website. That is one beautiful example of the W30 Searcher. Oh, and I can assure you, that you will be happy with that Yanmar 4JH. Reliable, powerful, clean and economical. Cruise at hull speed with the engine just loafing.

Please keep us posted on your first voyage.:thumb:

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Yes, nice catch, well done.
Have a good trip home.

Congrats!! Man that is one nice Willard. Have a great trip home .

Congrats on a great looking boat. Update us as you get to know it!

Welcome to the Willard World. I look forward to seeing her at the rendezvous. Very nice boat, good job locating one on great shape. Safe seas as you bring her home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom