The eclipse from the boat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve91T

Guru
Vessel Name
Abeona
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
....was amazing from Georgetown, SC. We left the marina about 45 minutes before the show, went up the river, found a quiet spot then threw the anchor and watched the show. We had some low clouds to deal with, but it wasn't a problem. We did loose one of our three pairs of eclipse glasses overboard about 10 minutes after we threw the anchor. I'm sure the fish are enjoying them.

The most amazing thing was not more than 10 minutes after totality a high layer of clouds rolled in from a nearby thunderstorm completely blocking the sun. We got so lucky. It was truely amazing.

(Gotta click the links, sorry)

https://flic.kr/p/WHUkht

An amazing sunset during dinner. What a perfect way to end a truly amazing day.

https://flic.kr/p/XmtzxN

Wifey B: My family was sort of impressed but my three year old niece not so much. She didn't understand the big deal. She said, "It does this every night." Her dad asked her if it didn't bother her that it got dark in the day time. She said, "No, daddy. It came back. Were you scared?" :rofl:

The Eclipse as Viewed From Kentucky Lake

The western Kentucky and southern Illinois areas were a ground zero location for viewing the eclipse, with an average totality period of approximately 2 1/2 minutes. This photo was taken during the totality phase and you can see the lights from the basket handle of the new Eggners Ferry Bridge (Highway 68) in the lower left hand corner of the photo. These lights come on automatically at dusk and three minutes later they were no longer visible. For you Loopers, we were anchored at Mile Marker 37, just outside of Higgins Bay and the bridge was five miles south of us.

Attachments

• DSC05731.jpg
    DSC05731.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 74
South Jersey, Cape May area.....
top shot through clouds, bottom through eclipse glasses....

Attachments

• 20170821_142846.jpg
    20170821_142846.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 69
  • 20170821_140010.jpg
    20170821_140010.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 69
We watched from our dock. Well, a slip neighbor's kid and I were on the flybridge, the rest were on the dock.

Best beer to drink while watching the eclipse - "Corona".

Right after the "peak" in Connecticut we left in the boat to spend the night on Fisher's Island.
It was really difficult to navigate with those silly glasses on!:lol:

We tried to watch it from the boat. There were some clouds that kept getting in the way and we only had our iPads and a pinhole to view it with. Being so far North, there was no perceived darkening of the sky but we could see the partial blocking of the sun.

My wife was kind of disappointed but fortunately for me right about then a pair of humpback whales surfaced a 100 meters off our beam. We idled back and they paced us for 20 minutes. This was between Westview and Hardwick Island.

I had to quip to friends...how can you get excited about the only astronomical event this year that you are not supposed to look at... :)

Anyway, I think whales trump a partial eclipse every day...glad something was nice for you!

What's the big Deal? We haven't seen the sun for over a week now.

What's the big Deal? We haven't seen the sun for over a week now.

That's to funny Mate. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I did the whole eclipse thing by boat back in the 90's. It was pretty cool.

Cheers.

H.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom