Old 05-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Eating while cruising......

Boat yoga made us think of food. Do you eat more healthy or less healthy when cruising? Our answer later.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Less healthy

We only eat organic food

While on the boat we allow ourselves organic snacks like potato chips.

We do stock the freezer with organic grass fed beef for the bbq.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Boat yoga made us think of food. Do you eat more healthy or less healthy when cruising?
Yes.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
How do you know? Almost every healthy eating trend (except eating less and being impossibly careful) has been proven to have it's flaws/misinformation.

Like Kashi cereals being sued for their pesticide use...healthy mix but so full of pesticide chemicals who knows the outcome.

Lots of conflicting data out there in what is healthy...and hardly controllable unless you eat from fresh produce markets where you have seen the growing and know the farmer.

We try but very difficult unless you spend a fortune every grocery stop riding around in taxis, busses, rental cars, etc..etc...looking for the best you can find to eat...will probably die from that stress rather than what I am eating.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
As a diabetic I avoid carbs. Easiest way to do so on the boat is to stick to the basics, bacon and vodka. Cardiologist went ape after hearing that plan so like any good boater I compromised. I now dip the bacon in humus and drink scotch instead.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Guru

I think with us it's very much like at home but with two possible exceptions. We get very busy and tend to snack less. Then also if we're quite active during the day seeing different things on shore, exploring, then often we'll be happy with a very light meal.

We do try to consume minimal sugar. I think we eat more seafood when cruising as when we do eat out we like to sample the local delicacy or most popular. We still cook the vast majority of our meals on board. Also, while we both drink a lot of water already, we drink more on board. And while we're not daily drinkers, if anything we drink less alcohol when cruising. We've also, over the years, eliminated just a couple of things from our diet that we feel help. We don't eat fries or chips and we don't consume soft drinks. Actually the only non-alcoholic beverage we drink is water.

So, I think in our case, marginally more healthy simply because so active and busy. But for the most part the same habits as at home.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
Guru

Activity sure helps...that's the major common denominator I have seen in boating/cruising and the apparent better health of cruisers.

Here's a good example why I have little faith in what I read from medical science....goes hand in hand with the every other year margarine or butter...

CDC says Americans still consume too much, but studies show no benefit in reducing salt | KFOR.com

ATLANTA, GA — A recent report from the CDC reviewed the health benefits of reducing salt and say that, even though Americans consume too much salt, major reductions is no longer considered a substantial health hazard. The CDC even reported that reducing salt intake to below 1 tsp per day may be dangerous to your health.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Here's a good example why I have little faith in what I read from medical science....goes hand in hand with the every other year margarine or butter...
Few of us have the ability to fully understand the science behind a particular study. Instead, some news source picks up a headline and runs with it. The reality is that the poor-eating-choice manufacturers are the really huge companies. They love the controversy and confusion. It makes it simple for people to give up and just ignore eating properly.

But the truth is out there. You just have to be have an open enough mind to seek it. And the most basic understanding has to be to follow the money because that's the motivation for the lies. Find a source of real science without the money motivation and you'll start to bump up against truth.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
Guru

You be the judge, all of these at anchor:

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 05-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
As a diabetic I avoid carbs. Easiest way to do so on the boat is to stick to the basics, bacon and vodka. Cardiologist went ape after hearing that plan so like any good boater I compromised. I now dip the bacon in humus and drink scotch instead.
The very epitome of a true yachtsman!

Old 05-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
Few of us have the ability to fully understand the science behind a particular study. Instead, some news source picks up a headline and runs with it. The reality is that the poor-eating-choice manufacturers are the really huge companies. They love the controversy and confusion. It makes it simple for people to give up and just ignore eating properly.

But the truth is out there. You just have to be have an open enough mind to seek it. And the most basic understanding has to be to follow the money because that's the motivation for the lies. Find a source of real science without the money motivation and you'll start to bump up against truth.
I really do understand and have been eating pretty healthy before it became fashionable.

But the reality is...please post the truth...please post a link to real science...cause every side of the story has another one...the AMA can't agree and even docs will tell you on the side what studies have been sidetracked by the Govt or societies to keep them politically correct....

I think I'm pretty good at reading between the lines ...but again... to go way out of my way to include or avoid something that no one has been able to prove or disprove as being good or bad...especially when eaten in conjunction with other items...I have no absolute path...

Good luck in "eating correctly".
Old 05-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Bayfield, WI
We definitely eat better and less. We most always walk to the grocery store if it's within 2-3 miles. Solomons, MD, the Food Lion is a good 2+ miles but we enjoy it. In Vero we use public transportation. Miami, the dingy plus walk. St. Augustine, walk.
Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
But the reality is...please post the truth...please post a link to real science...cause every side of the story has another one...the AMA can't agree and even docs will tell you on the side what studies have been sidetracked by the Govt or societies to keep them politically correct....
I'm honestly not a conspiracy advocate but do you really think the AMA is the place to go for information that leads to a lifestyle requiring little to no medications and few doctor visits?

I think this is a difficult topic and I've said enough. When people want to really understand diet and nutrition, the internet is a fantastic resource to get smart about it. But you've got to really want to learn because it takes tremendous effort to weed through the marketing and hype. And you've got to be willing to go where the science takes you.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #14
Guru

Only worried about Caltex if he at all that at one meal. At least we know he gets some good food on board. We do eat some very nice large meals on the boat, but we tend to balance them out. We grill a lot. And even as often as we've heard the merit in eating the large meal at lunch, lighter at dinner, we've not made the switch. We normally eat dinner early enough that I don't see that as an issue.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #15

Absolutely no differently than at home. Why mess with success?

Dave
Old 05-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
I'm honestly not a conspiracy advocate but do you really think the AMA is the place to go for information that leads to a lifestyle requiring little to no medications and few doctor visits?

I think this is a difficult topic and I've said enough. When people want to really understand diet and nutrition, the internet is a fantastic resource to get smart about it. But you've got to really want to learn because it takes tremendous effort to weed through the marketing and hype. And you've got to be willing to go where the science takes you.
That's exactly my point...for 3 years my girlfriend has pushed us in many directions to eat healthier only to find conflicting data at every turn...

You seem busy with a job...I'm not..I investigate everything and thoroughly if it affects me...

If you are saying there random tidbits out there that make sense..then we are on the same sheet of music...but there's no written source that I have seen that even remotely suggests a "whole truth"...just tidbits.

And I can live with that...

It seems to be true about many things in life...tidbits of truth that take a lot of effort to piece together...the real question for me...is what will kill me first????
Old 05-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #17
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ps. The "whole truth" is portion control. That's it, that's all.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. ps. The "whole truth" is portion control. That's it, that's all.
phew...always though 20 jello shots out of that bikini clad, 22 year old female navel was excessive....now I just do 1/3 of my age which will finally allow 20 this Oct....
Old 05-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

See, what you're looking for is a quick, one-line answer. "Portion control" as RT said, as if what you actually consume, no matter the size, has no effect.

The truth is a personal thing. The quality of the results is based on the effort put into the quest. Quick one-liners are never right.

OK, I'm unsubscribing from the thread - I've said more than enough. May everyone live to be healthy at 110 and then fall over dead in a single heartbeat.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #20
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
As a carboretic, I avoid diets. But I may try yours.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote