Old 12-24-2016, 05:00 AM   #1
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Eating crow ...

After all the bad stuff I said about Dashew type designs, Green Peace have just launched their newest 'Ocean Warrior' : it looks very much like a stretched version of the Dashew design for use in a the southern seas: the 'Roaring Forties' are the roughest seas in the world.

General characteristics
Class and type: Damen Stan 5009 "Sea Axe"
Length: 50.20 m (164.7 ft) [5]
Beam: 9.32 m (30.6 ft)
Draught: 3.50 m (11.48 ft)
Depth: 4.45 m (14.60 ft)
Installed power: Four engines; 5000 – 10000 bkW
Propulsion: 4x Fixed pitch propellers
Speed: 14.1 knots (26.1 km/h; 16.2 mph) to 30 knots (56 km/h; 35 mph)[4][6]
Range: 1,125 nautical miles at maximum speed [5]
Aircraft carried: 1 MD 500 helicopter can be embarked
Old 12-24-2016, 06:23 AM   #2
Guru

Old 12-24-2016, 06:29 AM   #3
Guru

City: Vermont
It all comes down to the intended purpose. If you want to go 30kts in large seas, it's the way to go. Just as the Dashew is the right design if you want to spend all your time making ocean crossings. At least the Green Peace boat has an actual pilot house.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
It all comes down to the intended purpose. If you want to go 30kts in large seas, it's the way to go. Just as the Dashew is the right design if you want to spend all your time making ocean crossings. At least the Green Peace boat has an actual pilot house.
I'll be very interested to see how it copes with the huge breaking waves of Antartica; this will be the ultimate test of this whole design concept.

IMO, there's no way it will be able to do 30kts in those seas ...
Old 12-24-2016, 07:11 AM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Eating crow ...

In my mind there's no "design concept to test". The Sea Axe design has been around and very well proven in the roughest seas for many years. This is actually the second generation of them Damen has made.

http://products.damen.com/en/ranges/...l-1800-sea-axe

If Damen specs it'll do 30 knots it will do 30 knots. The crew may not be able to take it in rough conditions but the boat can.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:17 AM   #6
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
I'll be very interested to see how it copes with the huge breaking waves of Antartica; this will be the ultimate test of this whole design concept.

IMO, there's no way it will be able to do 30kts in those seas ...
You're right. I doubt it can do both speed and big seas at the same time. But I expect it can go faster in bigger seas than other designs. And I think that shape is pretty much required if you are going to go 30 kts under any conditions.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
In my mind there's no "design concept to test". The Sea Axe design has been around and very well proven in the roughest seas for many years. This is actually the second generation of them Damen has made.

Offshore Patrol Vessel 1800 Sea Axe

If Damen specs it'll do 30 knots it will do 30 knots. The crew may not be able to take it in rough conditions but the boat can.
Perhaps this type of hull isn't scalable; the Damen is being sold for its low pitching attributes according to their site, unlike the Dashew.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
You're right. I doubt it can do both speed and big seas at the same time. But I expect it can go faster in bigger seas than other designs. And I think that shape is pretty much required if you are going to go 30 kts under any conditions.
I think you may be right, the Japanese whaling boats seem to chugg along at displacement speeds AFAIK; a cynic might say that's the fastest speed possible in those conditions.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #9
Guru

The Dashew and other blue water designs are primarily sold to folks who coastal cruise. No different than the vast majority of Range Rovers and Chevy Suburbans spend their lives going to soccer games and shopping malls.

Yes a few will cross oceans(at least once) but not as many as the builder propaganda tries to convince you of.

No clue regarding scalability but Greenpeace didn't hire a toy boat builder either. This is the real deal.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 12-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
That's not Greenpeace.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:30 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
The Dashew and other blue water designs are primarily sold to folks who coastal cruise. No different than the vast majority of Range Rovers and Chevy Suburbans spend their lives going to soccer games and shopping malls.

Yes a few will cross oceans(at least once) but not as many as the builder propaganda tries to convince you of.

No clue regarding scalability but Greenpeace didn't hire a toy boat builder either. This is the real deal.
Ive seen Greenpeace tactics on the News, they approach the whalers on a port tack so that their vessel is the 'stand-on' ship which normally results in a nasty collision; I'm sure the hull of their new boat is very strongly engineered to take the impact .

The ice breaker vertical hull looks like it could make it perfect for ramming other ships.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
That's not Greenpeace.
Is it two separate organisations nowadays?
Old 12-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Sea Shepherd and Greenpeace have always been two different organizations.

The guy who started Sea Shepherd left Greenpeace because he wanted to use more aggressive tactics than Greenpeace was comfortable with as I recall.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:55 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Sea Shepherd and Greenpeace have always been two different organizations.

The guy who started Sea Shepherd left Greenpeace because he wanted to use more aggressive tactics than Greenpeace was comfortable with as I recall.
Aha, that jogs my memory.

Here's one side of the argument against whalers...

The Truth about “Traditional” Japanese Whaling - Sea Shepherd FR

Quote:
. Whaling was practiced by a very few remote Japanese villages as far back as the 16th Century, but this traditional whaling was isolated, small, and was carried out with nets from shore. Less than 1% of the Japanese people participated in whaling as consumers until 1908 and less than 10% participated as consumers until 1930. Today only a small percentage of Japanese people eat whale meat.

The Chinese should never forget that it was profits from whale oil sold by Japan that provided the war chest to invade Manchuria and China and led to the Rape of Nanking.

Modern whaling is a practice borrowed from the Norwegians because of a ruthless businessman named Jura Oka who hired Norwegians and bought Norwegian equipment to establish commercial whaling. There is nothing traditionally Japanese about modern whaling.

Today, Japan is leading an effort to slaughter more and more whales. Japanese whaling industry spokesman Joji Morishita has publicly stated that whaling is not about the money but about pride. Morishita vows that Japan will never surrender to the anti-whaling views of non-Japanese.

The brutal killing of whales has become an icon for the Japanese identity. This is not unusual. Japan has always closely identified with blood and slaughter. From the decapitations by the Samurai upon innocent peasants to the suicidal insanity of the Kamikaze, violence and self destruction have been a part of Japanese culture.

It is this killing - this willful slaughter not just of whales, but also of dolphins on Japanese beaches - that has become almost ritualistic. It is this ritualistic slaughter that is traditional.

"We kill therefore we are" is the best way of viewing this identity and it is not a healthy perspective. Japanese history has already demonstrated in fire and blood just how unhealthy this perspective really is.

The Japanese say that we must respect their culture. I can only respond by asking why? What is it about Japanese culture we MUST respect? We can choose to respect the tea ceremony and rightfully so. We can choose to respect origami, ikebana, bonsai, No plays, sumo, Zen, and Shintoism.

We can choose not to respect seppuku, class inequality, kamikazes, and the slaughter of whales and dolphins.

No Westerner, Chinese, Indian or Arab, is under a cultural imperative to accept inhumane slaughter and blood sports. All human beings have a right to disrespect killing of any kind without being condemned or vilified for it.

Japanese defenders of whaling have actually accused whale defenders of being racists for opposing the killing of whales. The opposition of the killing of anything cannot be dismissed as racist. There is no racial or cultural justification for slaughter. None.

Especially for a practise that is not, and has never been, a tradition.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:57 AM   #15
Guru

Thanks for the clarification Bill. As I pay little attention to them I lost track of the difference.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Bill. As I pay little attention to them I lost track of the difference.
👍

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
check this ou.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #18
Guru

Like I said, aggressive tactics.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:10 PM   #19

City: Kiln,MS
looks a lot like the crew boats they use in the gulf. a lot of hp and not much else but open deck.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:41 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Thanks for posting this video; enjoyed watching it.