Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-17-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
Newbie
 
City: Bucksport
Country: United States
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4
Eastern Shore & New Jersey

Any suggestions for duck-ins along the outside of the Eastern Shore(del-mar-va penn.) and out side NJ. We're bringing a trawler up the coast this May.
__________________
Advertisement

Doug Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Oliver View Post
Any suggestions for duck-ins along the outside of the Eastern Shore(del-mar-va penn.) and out side NJ. We're bringing a trawler up the coast this May.
For the NJ leg, Cape May, Atlantic City, and Manasquan Inlets are your deepest, and widest choices. The others can be entered with local knowledge.
__________________

High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
Newbie
 
City: Bucksport
Country: United States
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4
Any opinions on Barnegat Inlet?
Doug Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Oliver View Post
Any opinions on Barnegat Inlet?
I've been thru Barnegat and it's fine in decent weather. There is an anchorage just inside to the port.
Check it out at Active Capt, there's a lot of info.
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
Barnegat is not as bad as it's reputation...that was from ancient times ...when I was a kid ...yes there is a big sand bar between the jetties but like many others along the east coast...if you can read the waves...you'll be fine and if not sure when you get there...call Sea TOw or BoatUS for an update and if still not satisfied and you are a member of either ask for an escort or even from the USCG if it looks dangerous.

Townsends Inlet between Cape May and Atlantic city is actually pretty easy, strong current but reasonably well marked, drawbridge is needed if taller than say 25' (check chart and tides if close)...some breakers but small if strong easterly and outgoing (like many inlets).

Manasquan Inlet also isn't to bad but a maze of bridges once you get in with current so a single engine can pucker you up whle you wait...just have an anchor at the ready.......I wouldn't have any qualms about using it but I wouldn't want to do it every day with heavy boat traffic.

Eastern Shore has Ocean City, MD...good inlet and some OK marinas.

Your biggest challenge is Norfolk to OC, MD. 30 or more miles closer to Norfolk is Chincoteague, VA...tricky but not too bad in the daytime. Once in a pretty nice place to visit. You can go north on the inside if your draft isn't too much..but I would call/check closer (maybe Active Captain) as I haven't been through lately but have considered it.

Indian River, DE is very strong current and not much when you get in there...better to stop short at OC, MD and then press on to Cape May, NJ or Atlantic City.

For trawlers under 4-5 foot draft..the NJ ICW can be done but best only travelled for the 4-6 hours around the high tide...there's definitely 2 spots I know of within 15 miles of Cape May that have less than 3 feet on even an average low tide....but over 6 feet at high and one is mud so no big deal...the one at the southern end of Stone Harbor in packed sand...I go through with the assistance towing vessel at low tide and it can be done without bending a prop but you are churning...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
...........Check it out at Active Capt, there's a lot of info.
Yes, if you haven't already, go to https://activecaptain.com/ , join, and read about just about any place you can take a boat.

Not only details, but reviews from people who have been there.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Be very careful about any information or advice pre-Sandy (late-October 2012) along the coastline of NJ. Ignore anything, even in ActiveCaptain, that is dated before then - use it as a suggestion at best especially north of Atlantic City.

The safe, deep-water inlets are Cape May, Atlantic City, Manasquan, and Sandy Hook. We've always (our 12th year) been able to skip by Manasquan but keep it as a bail out point. It's a long day between Sandy Hook and Atlantic City but definitely possible for any trawler-type vessel especially as the days get longer (like in May).

If I were going to enter any other inlet along the coast of NJ, I'd want to talk to a local tower to get the latest info about buoy markings and passages. If you wait for good weather, there should be no reason to have to use any other inlet though.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,197
I went in and out of Barnegat this past fall. Conditions were pretty rough at the time, but we made it fine. Watch the bouys carefully. The marked channel is way off to the north right along the breakwater and you will be convinced you are doing it wrong, but you aren't.
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
Be very careful about any information or advice pre-Sandy (late-October 2012) along the coastline of NJ. Ignore anything, even in ActiveCaptain, that is dated before then - use it as a suggestion at best especially north of Atlantic City.

The safe, deep-water inlets are Cape May, Atlantic City, Manasquan, and Sandy Hook. We've always (our 12th year) been able to skip by Manasquan but keep it as a bail out point. It's a long day between Sandy Hook and Atlantic City but definitely possible for any trawler-type vessel especially as the days get longer (like in May).

If I were going to enter any other inlet along the coast of NJ, I'd want to talk to a local tower to get the latest info about buoy markings and passages. If you wait for good weather, there should be no reason to have to use any other inlet though.
Good advice....my stuff is post Sandy and from my tower buddies up north some has changes (the usual stuff) but not a whole lot more.

Townsends Inlet though charted as unmarked is really pretty easy and safe on all but a strong easterly...from the west it's a piece of cake...straight shot in and almost always 10-12 feet as it is dredged often to replenish the beaches of the wealthy towns either side of it.

Not much when you get in...but if the weather is going bad or if the tide is rising with a couple hours to go...you can use the ICW to Cape May or Ocean City, NJ to keep going/ride out a stretch of bad weather.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
Newbie
 
City: Bucksport
Country: United States
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4
Thanks everyone, this is great info...I am a Maine sailor who has never been South of Block Island. I am helping a friend, who is brand new trawler owner, bring her Bristol 42 from Newbern. This Bristol cruises a 6 knts and I was planning approx. 10 hour days. I'm planning the trip using Garmin Blue charts & Active Captain. The ICW to Willoughby Bay leg should occupy the 1st 3 days. From Willoughby I have planned Chincoteage Inlet-Cape Henlopen-Barnegat works next for distance- then to Great Kills Harbor in NY-to somewhere in Long Island Sound- to Block Island & from there I'm all set. I have NO experience on a trawler and neither does the new owner, so please feel free to offer any opinions or advice. Thanks again.
Doug Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
magicbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 460
I live next to the lighthouse on Barnegat Inlet which makes this our home port. The tall tales are a) from the same people who post ActiveCaptain shoaling warnings next to markers that are out of the channel; or b) people who visited Barnegat Inlet before the south jetty was built.

Here is my "local knowledge" guide to visiting Barnegat Light.


Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boating to BL.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	27472  
__________________
Barnegat Light NJ or Nantucket MA
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #12
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,530
IF the boat isnt too deep 4 ft a MAX!! it is possible to stay inside from Cape May to Manasquan.

You will probably touch ,so single screw is preferred.

After seeing NJ on the various boob tube presentations a real look is worth the effort .

Its TRUE,,,, NJ is mostly the wild West in terms of dock and water way deck construction.

Just remember the NJ State Bird is the mosquito!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #13
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Oliver View Post
Thanks everyone, this is great info...I am a Maine sailor who has never been South of Block Island. I am helping a friend, who is brand new trawler owner, bring her Bristol 42 from Newbern. This Bristol cruises a 6 knts and I was planning approx. 10 hour days. I'm planning the trip using Garmin Blue charts & Active Captain. The ICW to Willoughby Bay leg should occupy the 1st 3 days. From Willoughby I have planned Chincoteage Inlet-Cape Henlopen-Barnegat works next for distance- then to Great Kills Harbor in NY-to somewhere in Long Island Sound- to Block Island & from there I'm all set. I have NO experience on a trawler and neither does the new owner, so please feel free to offer any opinions or advice. Thanks again.
If you and your friend have never seen Cape May, NJ and are a fan of architecture...Victorian Cape May is usually on a persons short list. Just barely 12 miles or so further than anchoring out and much less further if looking for dockage at Cape Henelopen (Lewes, De).
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
I live next to the lighthouse on Barnegat Inlet which makes this our home port. The tall tales are a) from the same people who post ActiveCaptain shoaling warnings next to markers that are out of the channel; or b) people who visited Barnegat Inlet before the south jetty was built.

Here is my "local knowledge" guide to visiting Barnegat Light.




Dave
Very good!!!........
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,801
If it is a new trawler owner and a six knot boat, you are better off going up the Chesapeake. It is great cruising for one thing and many many places to head into if something goes wrong. It really doesn't add that much more distance (60-80nm depending on route and detours) in the scheme of things, is safer, and it would be a shame to miss it from a pure cruising perspective. And as others mentioned definitely Cape May instead of Lewes or Indian River regardless of route. I would not go into Chincoteague for the first time, especially in poor conditions, without a local.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
capt jerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Oliver View Post
Thanks everyone, this is great info...I am a Maine sailor who has never been South of Block Island. I am helping a friend, who is brand new trawler owner, bring her Bristol 42 from Newbern. This Bristol cruises a 6 knts and I was planning approx. 10 hour days. I'm planning the trip using Garmin Blue charts & Active Captain. The ICW to Willoughby Bay leg should occupy the 1st 3 days. From Willoughby I have planned Chincoteage Inlet-Cape Henlopen-Barnegat works next for distance- then to Great Kills Harbor in NY-to somewhere in Long Island Sound- to Block Island & from there I'm all set. I have NO experience on a trawler and neither does the new owner, so please feel free to offer any opinions or advice. Thanks again.
think about bgoing to little creek va and from there to ocean city? its about 110 miles
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #17
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
Be very careful about any information or advice pre-Sandy (late-October 2012) along the coastline of NJ. Ignore anything, even in ActiveCaptain, that is dated before then - use it as a suggestion at best especially north of Atlantic City...............
Sounds like it's time to do some editing or deleting on the website.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #18
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
NOAA milage - Chesapeake Bay - Norfolk to Delaware City 209 NM
Delaware River - Delaware City to Cape May 51 NM
Total 260 NM

OpenCPN - Cape May to Norfolk 154NM

106 miles is at least another day stop if you are stopping every night so add another 10 miles at least, for me it's a lot more.

My 6.3 knot boat I haven't done it yet but figure coastal is 3 days....stop every night. Chesapeake is at least 5 and most of the time I take 6 because of tidal currents. If you hit the Delaware at the wrong time...you can be fighting a 2+ knot current for a long time. Of course timed right...you get that push. Just don't do the Delaware if it's a screaming tide and opposing wind...very choppy to say the least if the winds are nearing 20 knots or better.

All said...the Chesapeake is a nicer cruise and lot's more options....just longer by several or more days unless you really push and time the tides well.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #19
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Sounds like it's time to do some editing or deleting on the website.
There's a lot of research about crowdsourcing that we follow. It's the wrong thing to remove older comments about an anchorage or hazard. Every one is dated. Having the older info shows a history of what happened so you get a better view of the dynamics of the area.

In a similar way, I think a 1-star anchorage is the most important anchorage type of marker. It's because it let's you know that a place that looks like it should be a good anchorage actually isn't good. That's incredibly valuable especially if that anchorage was one you were relying on as a backup or for other reasons.

The goal isn't 100% accuracy for every piece of data. The goal is to document the history and provide quality decision making capabilities.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #20
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
There's a lot of research about crowdsourcing that we follow. It's the wrong thing to remove older comments about an anchorage or hazard. Every one is dated. Having the older info shows a history of what happened so you get a better view of the dynamics of the area.

In a similar way, I think a 1-star anchorage is the most important anchorage type of marker. It's because it let's you know that a place that looks like it should be a good anchorage actually isn't good. That's incredibly valuable especially if that anchorage was one you were relying on as a backup or for other reasons.

The goal isn't 100% accuracy for every piece of data. The goal is to document the history and provide quality decision making capabilities.
Plus...just like the quality and judgement of posters on the internet...the quality and judgement of some of your "reviews " has to be carefully evaluated for it's reference point.

I have been to marinas where a (singular) reviewers has said it's a "difficult approach" and I'll bet it is for 5% of your target audience...or trying to shoot that gap in a hurricane...way short of a big challenge for boaters I know. But that doesn't mean the review is worthless or shouldn't be included.

Just like marinas that some people hate because they aren't 5 star and other's love because they are rustic and the dolphin entertain them every day.

Even the most novice of boaters know sand bars come and go...rocks usually don't...good bars come and go with owners and chefs and bartenders change... yet bridges take years to take down...worrying about things that can obviously be short term transient should not need editing as it should be obvious to your experienced users as you have stated.
__________________

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012