Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #21
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,813
If you want to stay on the Ocean side of Delmarva, Ocean City is a great stop over point. Good inlet with a straight shot from the sea buoy (2 -3 miles off shore to the NE) to the inlet. 1/2 mile inside the inlet brings you to Sunset Marina's boat basin. Sunset marina is arguably one of the finest mainas on the East coast. 10'+ water depth from the sea buoy to most any slip at Sunset. Have been running charters out of Sunset for 13 years. During the summer there are 2 swimming pools, a fitness center, 2 restaurants, a bar and the nicest staff you would ever want to meet. Hell, they even put up with me. They can accommodate yachts over 100' and have a 88 ton travel lift.

ocsunsetmarina.com

From Ocean City to Cape Charles (bottom of the Delmarva peninsula) is about 80 miles.

Ted
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #22
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,881
Ocean City is like Chincoteague...it's not the inlet or the marinas that are the issue...it's the people there....you can't have little dogs or children or they are not safe...

O C Diver...you are from Florida...right?????? By the way what does OC stand for....????
__________________

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #23
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Ocean City is like Chincoteague...it's not the inlet or the marinas that are the issue...it's the people there....you can't have little dogs or children or they are not safe...

O C Diver...you are from Florida...right?????? By the way what does OC stand for....????
Can't speak for Chincoteague, but Ocean City MD is far safer and than any sea side town in NJ, and locals are far more friendly than the inbred knuckle draggers that run most NJ marinas.

My charter boat's name is OC Diver, short for Ocean City Diver. Been running charters out of Ocean City MD since 1985. Became a Florida resident in 2010.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #24
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Can't speak for Chincoteague, but Ocean City MD is far safer and than any sea side town in NJ, and locals are far more friendly than the inbred knuckle draggers that run most NJ marinas.

My charter boat's name is OC Diver, short for Ocean City Diver. Been running charters out of Ocean City MD since 1985. Became a Florida resident in 2010.

Ted
Sorry...I was only kidding...OC is a great place...again..sorry as did recommend it as a stopover place...

now about those knuckledraggers..
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #25
Guru
 
alormaria's Avatar
 
City: Trenton
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 902
Hey! I resemble dat remark!
__________________
Al Johnson
34' Marine Trader
"Angelina"
alormaria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #26
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
I'd have to echo what was previously said about going through the Chesapeake too. It might add a day or two but the safety and protected nature of staying inside the Chesapeake Bay instead of going out around the Delmarva peninsula needs to be considered. All you need is a couple of days of easterly winds to stop you from moving outside/offshore. The weather has to get pretty bad to stop you on the Chesapeake. That said, crossing the Potomac River in wind-versus-current conditions also needs to be watched.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #27
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
NOAA milage - Chesapeake Bay - Norfolk to Delaware City 209 NM
Delaware River - Delaware City to Cape May 51 NM
Total 260 NM

OpenCPN - Cape May to Norfolk 154NM

106 miles is at least another day stop if you are stopping every night so add another 10 miles at least, for me it's a lot more.

My 6.3 knot boat I haven't done it yet but figure coastal is 3 days....stop every night. Chesapeake is at least 5 and most of the time I take 6 because of tidal currents. If you hit the Delaware at the wrong time...you can be fighting a 2+ knot current for a long time. Of course timed right...you get that push. Just don't do the Delaware if it's a screaming tide and opposing wind...very choppy to say the least if the winds are nearing 20 knots or better.

All said...the Chesapeake is a nicer cruise and lot's more options....just longer by several or more days unless you really push and time the tides well.
I take it when you say Delaware City you mean the mouth of the C&D? Any way from the Hampton Tunnel / Willoughby Bay it is 225nm on my core routes (not stopping in anywhere) to Cape May (western entrance to CM Canal. By ocean I also have 155 to CM, 110 to OC and and 127 to Indian River.

Having been on a few fishing trips out of Chincoteague, there are times when it is just not safe; there is a reason the chart shows "breakers" across the entrance. The depths change a lot there too, I never felt confident taking 5 feet of draft in there though certainly it is done every day by the locals. The Corps does dredge it virtually every year, I'm told, so some of that may depend on how recently. I guess what i am trying to say is that with a new-to-you boat looking for a place to duck into in adverse circumstances, I wouldn't count on it.

Yes, if you stop to smell the roses and cruise the Chessie, it will add some extra distance.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #28
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,881
I can't make the run offshore because I have a crew and dog that won't make a 30 hr passage....

I leave Jersey in mid December and return mid April. Believe me...planning 5-6 days of easy transit in the Chesapeake is WAY harder than 30 hrs of running up or down the Eastern Shore Coast if I could plan on it.

That said again..if you can't make the leg(s) offshore...the inside route has more options...but if you can make a 30 hr run with boat and crew...the outside is definitely a time saver on many levels...

Big decision but just takes a commitment either way.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #29
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I take it when you say Delaware City you mean the mouth of the C&D? Any way from the Hampton Tunnel / Willoughby Bay it is 225nm on my core routes (not stopping in anywhere) to Cape May (western entrance to CM Canal. By ocean I also have 155 to CM, 110 to OC and and 127 to Indian River.

Having been on a few fishing trips out of Chincoteague, there are times when it is just not safe; there is a reason the chart shows "breakers" across the entrance. The depths change a lot there too, I never felt confident taking 5 feet of draft in there though certainly it is done every day by the locals. The Corps does dredge it virtually every year, I'm told, so some of that may depend on how recently. I guess what i am trying to say is that with a new-to-you boat looking for a place to duck into in adverse circumstances, I wouldn't count on it.

Yes, if you stop to smell the roses and cruise the Chessie, it will add some extra distance.
I only know what either NOAA prints or what my chartplottesr say...and I have made both runs numerous times as a delivery captain and helo pilot...just look at the chart...you have to go north and south to get from Annapolis to Cape May which are almost 120NM by water yet almost equal in latitude..give or take a few miles here or there...big deal..it's definitely a day or two longer in a 6 knot boat unless you go round the clock if you take the Chesapeake route.

Chincoteague is a difficult inlet yet plenty of boats run it every day including the USCG...if you plan to run such an inlet..just make sure the winds and tides don't make it worse and call if you need help...that's what the government and private assistance towing networks are for.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:25 AM   #30
Guru
 
Daddyo's Avatar


 
City: Cruising East Coast US
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,441
All really good info but here's my two cents. If you mean to make time than the 24/7 nature of going outside can't be beat. Once you round Cape Charles your next only dependable stop is OC, MD. That said the tide running out can be fierce so you need to time things well in a displacement boat. Next stop if you must is Cape May than Atlantic City than Sandy Hook. But again I stress the value in going outside is you can easily run 24/7. The sea tends to flatten at night as an added benefit.

If you have the time than of course cruise the Chesapeake. If you want to you can run inside 24/7 as well but just make sure to time your arrival at Ready Point with high tide. You will have the tide all the way to Cape May. Skip going back in and run the NJ shore straight through. If you leave pre-dawn out of Cape May (easy to do as the inlet is big) than you will make Sandy Hook before sunset or just at.
__________________
Mark Bowerman
Brokerage owner and cruiser
Esse Quam Videri
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #31
Dauntless Award
 
Wxx3's Avatar
 
City: New York, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
All really good info but here's my two cents. If you mean to make time than the 24/7 nature of going outside can't be beat. Once you round Cape Charles your next only dependable stop is OC, MD. That said the tide running out can be fierce so you need to time things well in a displacement boat. Next stop if you must is Cape May than Atlantic City than Sandy Hook. But again I stress the value in going outside is you can easily run 24/7. The sea tends to flatten at night as an added benefit.

If you have the time than of course cruise the Chesapeake. If you want to you can run inside 24/7 as well but just make sure to time your arrival at Ready Point with high tide. You will have the tide all the way to Cape May. Skip going back in and run the NJ shore straight through. If you leave pre-dawn out of Cape May (easy to do as the inlet is big) than you will make Sandy Hook before sunset or just at.
I agree.
I'll be doing this in April.

Richard
__________________

__________________
M/Y Dauntless, New York
a Kadey Krogen 42 Currently https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Blog: https://dauntlessatsea.com
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012