Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #21
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Earnestly Seeking Advice

Ron, it sounds as if you can do this.* You are way ahead of some in the ability to do much of the maintenance.* A willing first mate is essential.* Get a single screw with a full keel.* You will touch ground at some point.* Just make certain as you can that the boat and drive train are as sound as possible.* Welcome to the cruising community.* Please keep us advised as to your choices.

I think that it is wonderful that you are taking care and including your daughter.* It should open new worlds for her.* You sound like great people.* I hope to see you on the waterway.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #22

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...

Ron, Check with your insurance agent to see if you can get insurance. Many insurance companies are reluctant to insure a boater with very little experience. Talk to him about you taking a course from the US Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxilary to see if that helps.

yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #23

City: Caye Caulker
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: 36' Marine Trader, D C

Ron, after looking on line for over a year, then spending thousands of dollars flying around,renting cars to go look at boats, I found what I wanted. It was in my buget and the mechcanics were sound. The po' had upgraded electronics and had maintained her with a "open check book" all records on board. The boat* I bought was built in 1979 and she is a fine little ship. There are issues with her that I will be working on for the next 20 years. But that being said, I knew thet would be the case. I could not afford to buy a 2012 trawler. The maitenace and upkeep of a larger boat at first can be scarey, but as you get to know her and figure out your systems and all her wierdness, after a while you wont want anybody touching her but you. There are a lot of good trawlers out there for 60k.* Times are tough for most, so now is a good time to buy. Good Luck, and smooth seas. Capt. Bill
belizebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #24
Per
Guru

I like Marin's quote "buy the smallest boat you can afford"... there is more truth in that then you think.

Personally I cannot tell you what to do, you have to make the decision because once you are in, the boat will be your second ball in chain... (i noticed you mentioned being married).
But I can make suggestions:
1. Go rent a real boat or a charter to try the lifestyle, make sure the dream really is what you think it might be.
2. Buy the smallest boat you can afford, preferable single engine diesel (stay under 30 ft and you will not feel too nervous about driving her)
3. Get a surveyor who will boat shop with you, my surveyor and me went to look at a couple boats i liked, he only charged me a nominal fee as long as my intent was to use him for the actual survey which obviously I did. Spend the money on a engine survey also, it is the most expensive equipment in the boat so why take a chance.
4. Make a realistic budget to see what you can comfortable afford, take all cost in consideration and then some.
5. Does anyone know if you can rent a boat long term to do the loop or similar?
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #25
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

I have owned a boat for around 30+ years and have always loved the water and boating.* I never really considered living on a boat, until I went through my divorce and it became a necessity.* For nearly eighteen months I made it work, but in the end it nearly caused me to get rid of my boat.* Living on a boat full time just isn't for everyone.*
That said, these are Larry's five rules for happy boating:
1.* Just because you love boating, doesn't mean you will be happy living on one.
*2.* When friends and family say that your boat is a hole in the water, that you regularly throw money in. *It's ok to laugh, but understand they are right.
3.* A happy boater either has good mechanical skills or*lots of money.
4.* Girlfriends and wives who truly love boating are few and far between, cherish them!
5.* If you love the water and boating, don't sweat the cost. It still beats gambling, drugs, alcohol and loose women. (OK, at least gambling and drugs anyway!!)***
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Ron, just two statements...make that three...maybe four....

1. Like Marin said....

2. Like GaryP said..."Don't strive for perfection (very expensive), strive for reliable and good enough." Absolutely right. I'm still working on getting my 1975 CHB 34 absolutely as imperfect as I can...and enjoying every minute of it, because I have learnt I can live without perfection...it just needs to work, and look ok.

...and like Edleweiss said...

3. Girlfriends and wives who truly love boating are few and far between, cherish them!

4. If you love the water and boating, don't sweat the cost. It still beats gambling, drugs, alcohol and loose women.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #27
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
loose women.
*Are you sure about this one?
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Wow there is so much good advice on here.* Like others have said, it really makes a difference if you are remotely handy, which it sounds like you and your wife are.* It also REALLY helps to not be expecting perfection or that the boat will ever be finished.* The project list never ends... hopefully you can keep the boat in good enough shape that it runs and the projects are all nice to haves. * If you don't enjoy the projects and the never ending maintenance then owning a boat can get old really fast.* It sounds like you are coming at this with the right attitude so I think you will be fine!
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #29

Hey, I looked at the Albin 27s on Yachtworld. Those are really cool little boats. I like the looks from the photos. I'll have to see one in person sometime.
Old Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Quote:
JD wrote:Peter B wrote:
loose women.
*Are you sure about this one?

Yes, well I was trying to keep it rated for family entertainment...

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote