E-bike or Harley on board ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supertramp

Vessel Name
" Supertramp "
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
What have you on board for shore excursions?
E-bikes or Harley?

Would love to have one like this.

Attachments

• bagbikeslarge1.jpg
    bagbikeslarge1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 107
Feet or pedal bikes. The Harley stays home in the garage. Sadly, she actually spends way too much time in the garage since we got back into boating. Thinking of selling her soon, but it is hard to let go.

We have a 125 CC Kawasaki which is a little to big/heavy to lift onto the boat but great for marina and city riding. I plan on selling the Kawasaki this summer and buy TWO smaller/lighter street legal motor bikes but under 100 CC range. Under 100 cc does not require a motor cycle license. My big bike riding days are over and getting to old to pedal.:thumb::D

It's not the same as with outboard motors. My buddy is here in Sacto and had no issue getting his. Lots of lawn equipment is 2-stroke. I think they just have to be CARB compliant to be sold in CA.

They charge tax to CA residents, so I suspect it's a CA company. ...(insert internet research here)...

Yup, just looked it up, they're in Van Nuys, CA.

EDIT:

(....more internet research...)

Yup, you're right...

"We cannot ship any 2-stroke Bicycle Motors or Bike Engine Kits to California due to CARB regulations."

Last edited:
I just put a deposit down on one of these - it weighs less than my Avon RIB with motor.

I’ll have to go to a dock to lift it off with my mast/boom/Harken 2 speed sailboat winch.

Honda has been making that motor for 50 years. I had a Honda SS90 40 years ago - same engine, just without the Fuel Injection.

In your part of the world it’s called the MX-125.

Not suitable for highways, but great on city streets. Not available here until Aug.

I’ll carry it on the aft deck above the lazarette on the little DeFever.

Honda Grom

Mike

A Harley could double as a great Anchor :hide:. But then again, it'd leave quite an oil slick.

A std bike or foulding bike does not require a special license , a license for the unit , insurance , inspection and crash helmits.

The folding bikes now have multiple speeds and good brakes.

A taxi will be fasr cheaper to get you to ehere you wish to explore by bike.

The Harley can stay in the shop , being repaired, not many docks can handle the weight .

I had a couple of folding bikes, Dahon Mariners. Great quality and seven speeds. They even had carrying bags. Most trawlers though could easily fit a full size bike. Then there would be no need for assembly. When rode hard there was just a bit of flex from the foldable. I weigh about 210 but push my bikes hard
The nice thing about the Dahon - aluminum components!

On the motor kits for the bikes, not all are created equally. Make sure the engines are names you recognize. There are a lot of Chinese garbage being pawned off. If the motor relays through a fly wheel to the bikes tire you can have slippage when wet. If it connects via carbon belt to the back wheel it can produce enough stress on the wheel to twist it up. Check put Eagle bikes, they even sell replacement heavy duty spokes. I would suggest a four cycle Subaru or Honda. Reason being, the two cycles are so loud it attracks the wrong attention. Be careful ordering and assuming you can use this set up without local (police) attention. Some cities haves laws against the motorized bikes, speciallly California.
If you want something motorized go simple, by a moped - then it is set up to be street legal. Just my two pennies. Buying a moped you can use locally to run to the store or in you travels while boating.

Although you could probbly pick up a Honda Rucus for the same and have a heavier frame and easier service. But it wouldn't be as cool

Last edited:
"A Harley could double as a great Anchor :hide:. But then again, it'd leave quite an oil slick."

"The Harley can stay in the shop , being repaired, not many docks can handle the weight ."

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

That'll be quite enough of the Harley bashing now.

It should be common knowledge that the Lord God himself rides a Harley.

"A Harley could double as a great Anchor :hide:. But then again, it'd leave quite an oil slick."

"The Harley can stay in the shop , being repaired, not many docks can handle the weight ."

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

That'll be quite enough of the Harley bashing now.

It should be common knowledge that the Lord God himself rides a Harley.

The Harley is over rated and a macho status symbol! :flowers: Its heavy, loud, hard to handle and slow. A Honda, Kaminski, Suzuki will out run and run circle around a Haley. God did not ride a Harley as SHE would ride something more refine/tasteful. Well maybe if it was PINK with a lot of chrome! ;):D

The only boat I saw that carried a Harley was a 100 ft that have garage with a power ramp. Now that was cool!.:socool: However it was so big, heavy he could not get it up the ramp. :rofl:

Phil
Most places set the non license limit at 50 ccs not 100 The 50 cc jobs do about 35 miles an hour tops. The electric ones won't even do that. 150 cc chinese ones can be had for under a boat buck and they will carry two people but you do need a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license in most places and you will have to get a bike plate and insurance but it is the way to go. Funny - not much weight difference between the 50 and 150 cc about 350 pounds if I remember - no problem for a small winch

Flywright
The bike conversion kits are cheap enough - I bought mine for $125.00 I used it for a summer and it worked pretty well but I sold it as I felt it was too dangerous It goes over 30 but the old stock brakes and steering were not made for that. BTW you can order those kits with a higher displacement and they look the same but they go even faster. Mine had a chain to a second sprocket and a very simple clutch . You pedal 20 feet or so and release the clutch to get it to start.

If you like the folding bikes, check out the Montague line. They are human size rather than looking like circus bikes. YMMV.

We carry our full size bikes on the sundeck when we're going places we want to explore or when marina hopping on a week-long cruise. But I don't like to keep them onboard when we are just hanging around the home marina or anchoring out. I want to make full bike covers for them so we can chain/lock them to the dinghy racks.

I also like the Citizen folding bikes. and they are very reasonably priced. Don't tell Tom, but he might get one for Christmas this year! :thumb:

How about a needle in a haystack, you could always look for a Honda Motocompo. Only 53k ever built. 60lbs and cute as hell.

I recently saw a reasonably priced all aluminum bicycle at Walmart. I thought it would be a great bike to have aboard. Unfortunetly I am still a working stiff and not there yet. Two more years and I will be free.

Without a davit, we're limited to something we can manhandle on and off the boat.

Here's how we stow our bikes in the cockpit for overnight trips. The aft rail is protected with firehose/velcro. If we need to clear the cockpit, the bikes can be secured on the foredeck along the fwd rails.

bobsyiruncle, I agree that std brakes and skinny tires don't mix well with 30mph powered bikes. And motorized bikes are not a joy to foot-pedal for 20 miles on a bike trail. I'm seriously considering converting a single-speed beach cruiser with a rear coaster brake into a motorized bike when the Admiral's looking the other way! I think it'd be a kick to ride and a novelty to operate. The whole thing should cost under $300. If it's a flop, not great loss...as long as I don't kill myself in the process.

Attachments

• DSC_4691.jpg
    DSC_4691.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom