Dust or Someting worse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_E

Vessel Name
Agnus Dei
Vessel Make
36' Shin Shing
Hi All,

When we were looking at the boat during the buying phase, we saw what appeared to be a "dusty" interior that had not been used for 2 years. We've been reading about Mold and mildew... and are kind of concerned. Here's what we have. All the woodwork inside, but ONLY the woodwork has a film on it that wipes right off. The appliances, the walls, the table, the windows... nothing. The surveyor tried to tell me we had a mildew problem, but I didn't buy it. The boat was in a covered slip, seagulls everywhere. Did I mention feathers and birds everywhere? I can't explain why this "dusting" was just on the shiny woodwork. Ideas?

Dave

Hope it wasn't dust from BORER eating away and having a nice day? or maybe because it was on all the surfaces but only really visible the bright finished area's ?

Why not just treat it as if it is mildew. Wipe every surface, not just the shiny parts, with a bleach soaked rag, or use one of the bathroom mold & Mildew treatments. Then you know you have killed it if it is mildew, and if not, no harm done.

sounds like my basement varnish work when the dehumidifier was not running. MILDEW.

Greetings,
Mr. DE. I suspect the surveyor was correct. On a previous vessel we had a brief mold/mildew problem which manifested itself as you describe (light film of "dust" on wood surfaces) and we corrected with the technique Mr. k suggests.

To prevent a repeat of above mentioned condition, we now leave fans running 24/7 to circulate air inside. No problems since.

It confuses me that you didn't take the surveyor's word for it. That's his job isn't it?

Sounds like the beginning of mildew..not sure technically what to call it.

.....common to start on the wood first as it might have the right moisture content or hold dirt/oils that the mildew does best on.

Probably not dust as it is described.

Thanks for the replies! We'll give the entire interior a wipe down this week.

Just perplexed me how it was only on shiny wood surfaces.

Dave

since it is very fine and not yet thick you probably cant see it on other surfaces. Wipe them down as well and do leave a fan running.

Make sure the bilge is dry

50/50 white vinegar and water appear to be the internets fav for killing white mold on wood. Repeated warnings about bleach, only for a last resort.

How about using EPA's advice and damp wipe with dilute detegent solution, then wipe dry? Same thing we specify for remediation contractors in healthcare facilities.

Here in the moldy south, I do not leave the AC running or dehumidifiers - just have a strong air mover ($60 carpet dryer) running 24/7 on low speed, aimed to provide max air movement within boat. My layout is such that one does it. Completely effective at min $.

Does it smell? Mildew has a stale odour.

Jim

Does it smell? Mildew has a stale odour.

Jim

No smell. Now my sailboat had a smell that got into any clothes or towels left on the boat. We had some jackets we left on board for a couple years... no amount of washing could remove that smell. Tossed them.

Plastic pan(s) of white vinegar in the bilges keeps the mold and ANY smells away! [emoji41]

In an attempt to make the interior pretty the PO may have used a wax polish on the wood.

Wax is food , so will attract hungry living dust.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom