Dumpster find

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
attachment.php

Oh, wow. That was my first road bike. Always had a soft spot for trumpets since then. You brought back some great memories!

Oh, wow. That was my first road bike. Always had a soft spot for trumpets since then. You brought back some great memories!

She is a rare breed indeed. Built during the union takeover of the plant she is a one-off, a T160 (Yes, T160, not a misprint), 750 Bonneville twin.

The other two are a 67' Daytona 500 and a 69' T120 Bonneville 650

While we are on the topic of motor bikes and dumpster diving...true story. Several years ago, probably around 2006, the dilapidated, near tear down house down the block was sold when the guy who lived there died. There were several old cars on the property, an old Alpha and a few other bits and bots, rusted old hunks of stuff. One day there was a smallish shipping container that was being loaded with all sorts of rusted old motor bike frames, fuel tanks etc. Really, it looked like junk to me. The fellow who was loading the container told me these were old British motor bikes from the 1950's and 1960's. I'm not sure what make he said they were, but he said they were kind of like the classic Indians. BSA's? I don't know for sure. But it was important enough that these had been purchased by a collector and were being sent back to England. All told I think there were about 20 frames. I got the sense this was a rare and important find.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Very similar to Jim's story, I once bought a dumpster full of old artillery wheels at an quarterly Govt. auction in Ft. Meade, MD. I was in the antique truck restoration business at the time and had a 1926 International 60 series that had the same 6 X 36 solid rubber tires as were mounted on the artillery wheels. I bought the dumpster for 220 bucks and there were 17 wheels in there. Kept six for my International and sold them for 200 bucks each and still got another 200 bucks for the dumpster when I was done with it 5 years later. It was one of those lucky days. I guess those tires would be worth a boat-buck each now.

I picked up some teak oval railings from the dumpster. About 20' although a lot of it was curved for the bow rail.
I have made a lot of small stuff and repaired many pieces over the years from that find.
I still have a lot of small pieces and one ~4 ft long.

To me it was a fine find.

I have also left old, yet good, fenders, chairs, and other pieces after they took up space for a few years without finding a real use for them.

All or the vast majority of my three strand white travel lines are from my marina's dumpters. It seems there are some owners that confuse dirty with worn. Picked up some brown where the line wraps a creosoted piling? Into the dumpster. Picked up some green? Into the dumpster.

All or the vast majority of my three strand white travel lines are from my marina's dumpters. It seems there are some owners that confuse dirty with worn. Picked up some brown where the line wraps a creosoted piling? Into the dumpster. Picked up some green? Into the dumpster.

One man's trash can be another man's......

However... Usually, one woman's trash stays where they put it. :rofl:

Many years ago I spent about a year in a very high end marina, and the dumpster diving was incredable, but most folks put the good stuff on the side. Folks with expensive boats throw out the most amazing stuff. I scored a NEW section of 1/2 X 60ft nylon line once. As I was hauling it away, a guy said "I didn't think that would last long" He just had no use for it, but I still use it two boats later. Later someone left a perfectly good roller furler along with a nearly new jib that just happened to fit my boat. Stereo's, TV's, dvd's, and tools were comon. I kinda miss that fun.

Naw, Hawgwash - I wash them. Come out like near new. Off a couple of high end boats, about one season on them.

If anyone wants any gill netting or seine netting for anything let me know. Also herring gillnet...complete with dried herring.

I grabbed some seine web for a neighbour with a tennis court. He was very pleased.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Here's my favorite dumpster find..........

Attachments

• Scan0004.jpg
    Scan0004.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 103
OK, So gonna check the dumpsters this weekend at the marina.... jus' looking for the good stuff.......

Picked up my new Highfield aluminum bottom RIB yesterday and a new Yamaha 9.9.

Now all I need is a new fuel tank with Yamaha hose and fittings. I must live a life of righteousness and purity cause' look what I found in the dumpster this morning :)

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 93
Mike-the first question that comes to mind is- How the hell did they get that in the dumpster?- and the second would then be-How the hell do you get it out?

I'm a garbage man and it is truly depressing what a disposable society we are. The wife instituted a something comes home, something leaves policy due to a decrease in garage space. By the way, here's a nugget. That thing you threw in first to hide from neighbor or whomever, it's the last thing out and final thing I see in the truck!

Picked up my new Highfield aluminum bottom RIB yesterday and a new Yamaha 9.9.

Now all I need is a new fuel tank with Yamaha hose and fittings. I must live a life of righteousness and purity cause' look what I found in the dumpster this morning :)

Check that tank carefully. Usually the reason one is thrown away is a defect. I places one next to a marine dumpster once. It was a red 6 gallon metal gas can for o/b's. Reason: pinhole leak in its bottom. I did take the cap and gauge/hose-attachment apparatus off. As well as scratched "leak" into the red paint. But, not all discarders may be as forthright.

If your tank find in OK - Then Good On ya!

Check that tank carefully. Usually the reason one is thrown away is a defect. I places one next to a marine dumpster once. It was a red 6 gallon metal gas can for o/b's. Reason: pinhole leak in its bottom. I did take the cap and gauge/hose-attachment apparatus off. As well as scratched "leak" into the red paint. But, not all discarders may be as forthright.

If your tank find in OK - Then Good On ya!

Looks like never used. Ran with it for an hour yesterday, checked this morning ..... No leaks:thumb:

While I was in a high end California marina, I often times found exactly what I needed for a current project. I was once on my way to buy an electric macerator conversion pump for my head when I spied one attached to a complete toilet next to the dumpster. It was new, never used and bolted right up to my toilet in less time than it would have taken to buy one.

We dug this out of the weeds on the bank yesterday .Idle speed / no wake . It must have broke loose during recent high water . It's our new anchor bouy.:hide:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 104
We dug this out of the weeds on the bank yesterday .Idle speed / no wake . It must have broke loose during recent high water . It's our new anchor bouy.:hide:

What's next to it - a baby Darth Vader! :facepalm: :D

Further to my first post above, more relics from a bygone era. Cedar gill net floats I found under a disposal bin in the yard. As mentioned previously, I tie up in a commercial fishing vessel moorage. I used to find the odd one washed up on beaches when I was a child. I haven’t seen one in probably more than 50 years.

IMG_2707.jpg

Me too, loads of lines, many 3/4 nylon, from the dumpster, at the marina where they crush old boats where I had my boat for years. And electric wire and a rule 1500 bilge pump. Fire extinguishers. And too many other things to recall now. Anything the marina owner who was doing the destroying of old hulls did not want, all went into the dumpster. The engines, tanks, etc..., were scrapped for metal content.

He tears-rips boats to pieces using a backhoe. Fiberglass hulls come apart quite easily.

Last edited:
Dumpster Diving! You guys are just a bunch of sailors.
Don’t tell the sailors I said that, they’ll kill me!

I guess I'm lucky? My marina (Legacy Harbour in Ft. Myers) has a table in front of the office where folks put stuff they don't want. During the season when the marina is full, it's amazing what turns up. No one puts out real trashed stuff and what does show up is usually gone pretty quick. It's a bit of a ritual to make a daily trip by the "free table" to see what's showed up.

Further to my first post above, more relics from a bygone era. Cedar gill net floats I found under a disposal bin in the yard. As mentioned previously, I tie up in a commercial fishing vessel moorage. I used to find the odd one washed up on beaches when I was a child. I haven’t seen one in probably more than 50 years.

View attachment 79343

Those are seriously cool. Great find. :dance:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom