Old 07-28-2016, 07:17 PM   #1
Guru

Dumpster diving find...

Found this JABSCO toilet pump in the club dumpster and took it apart. Found the impellor vanes all torn off from piscrete. I'm guessin' it hadn't been run in a while. Dissassembled the motor, cleaned up the armature and re-assembled it. Ran just fine. I'll put it all together with my store of spare parts and carry it on board as a spare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7290001.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	54645   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7290002.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	54646  

ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Guru

I would take up lots of posts if I described everything I got via dumpster diving lol
Good on ya bud!!

jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Lucky guy! I just bought one of these and it cost me 300$ here in Canada. The one on my newly owned boat was like 20 years old and the motor but also the schredding blade were totally rotten. I wish I had these kind of dumpster here!
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
When I read the title of this thread I kind of thought I may have been responsible for it. I put a stainless gas grill, in perfect working condition, and a small folding table out by the dumpster in the marina next door. They were both gone within an hour. They came with the boat when we bought it 3 years ago, I only used the grill once and didn't like it and the table not at all. I got tired of hauling them around and I was "unjunking" the boat. I threw away a lot of stuff.

I hate having useless crap on board. I hope it made someone's day.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:20 AM   #5
FF
Guru

At the marina I frequent in Ct boat owners that have something they think someone might use, simply lay it next to the dumpster.

The sad part is when you find something that would be useful, but is the wrong size.

For a month I looked with "lust in my heart" at a prop cage , but for a smaller prop diameter than mine.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:32 AM   #6
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
My favorite find to date is an ICOM M-127. The internal speaker was shot. I connected an external speaker to the radio and it works perfect.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:56 AM   #7
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Our Marina has a "free table" in the dock/club house. Everyone passes along stuff there. When we bought this boat, we loaded it up three times!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #8
Guru

Our club also has a "free table" for stuff that can be re-used. My bet, is this pump got put in the dumpster by a professional, and I use that word loosely, installer, who did not want anyone make use of it. I was puttin' trash in the dumpster and noticed the red and black wires, got a boat hook and uncovered the pump. It amazes me that so many people pay for new when the existin' unit can be fixed for peanuts.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:15 AM   #9

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
A fellow from "I" dock left 8 or 10 cans of premium Canadian beer at the "J" dock gate just as I walked up. It was still cold! That didn't last long! Thanked him and moved it out to the boat.

Must've felt sorry for us on J dock!
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFarrell View Post
A fellow from "I" dock left 8 or 10 cans of premium Canadian beer at the "J" dock gate just as I walked up. It was still cold! That didn't last long! Thanked him and moved it out to the boat.

Must've felt sorry for us on J dock!
Yeah, right.
When the guy got back from his car with the gate key he wondered who scored his beer so quick.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
My previous marina had a giveaway table as well.

We also had a community ice chest on our dock. As the summer would go on, the crappy beer would remain in the cooler and the number of cans of said beer grew. By the end of the season, we had a full cooler of crappy beer....which ended up going on the giveaway table.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #12

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Nope, the giver was right there, I asked him if he would like to come down to the boat and help me empty a can or two, but he went back to "I" dock to unload more stuff from the boat.

Still got some left, drop by some time!
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #13
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Good find!!

But Marina dumpster diving is a hard habit to break. I have accumulated to much stuff and I'm on the "12-step-program" now myself.

My favorites were a new single trumpet stainless boat horn and a new looking Shakespeare marine loud hailer speaker horn. Both had the same problem and discarded by their owner. "Cold solder joints" which were easily fixed with a soldering iron.

Not to mention all the crab pots, lines and corks the Fish and Wildlife officers pickup and throw in our dumpster. Got so bad that the Port asked the officers to just set it along side the dumpsters, so people wouldn't crawl inside to retrieve the items. They were afraid someone might get hurt!
Old 07-30-2016, 06:56 AM   #14
FF
Guru

My best to use find was the transom of thick 1 1/2 GRP that someone had carved from ther fish boat.

Took almost no effort to use it as a bow roller , windlass and chain stopper platform.

Thought it looks so nice I did not repaint it , so the donor boats name still exists.

Anchoring is not a requirement on USN a Utility Boat.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:16 AM   #15
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted trawler
40 inch edson s/s destroyer wheel for me, unblemished.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:26 PM   #16
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Wish I could find it - article my son sent me from a writer for one of the sail cruise mags - about half through his second circumnavigation - listing all of the gear on his 40 footer recycled from marina dumpsters & junk piles. An amazing array of serviceable gear. Electronics, pumps, winches, lines, .....

We have several trophy boat guys in my marina - love that they religiously junk dock lines each season - you know, green places in spots. Also, scrap starboard - just grabbed a 2 X 6 " scrap"

in the dumpster - fresh cut. Amazing.

sbu22 is online now   Reply With Quote