Duct tape residue removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jungpeter

Guru
Vessel Name
LIBERTY
Vessel Make
TOLLY 48
Hi All,

I had to use 3M duct tape to secure some engine room insulation under my engine room hatch cover this summer. Now, after removing the tape itself, I'm trying to remove the tape residue. The surface the tape residue is stuck on is composed of varnished plywood, with raw teak trim. Not too concerned with removing the finish, as I can deal with that. But the residue is proving REAL hard to remove! I've tried acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, and Goo-Gone. Anyone have any suggestions?

Regards,

Pete

WD 40 will remove it, but I wouldn't use it on the raw teak cause it will stain.
But you could remove the WD 40 residue with acetone.

Sounds like that old comedy skit with the Smurge, etc.:blush:

Paint thinner.

Agree with the two other replies but also keep a product called Goof Off paint remover in my bag of tricks. Surprised the Goo Gone didn't get it.

Tried removing some double sticky tape recently, found that Goo Gone mostly makes a sticky mess. I think I have some Goof Off on the boat, I'll have to try it next time.

heat first with a blow dryer to soften it (don't use heat gun),and with small putty knife you can scrape away the heavy residue , then use goof off applied to a rag, wipe in a circular motion

Naptha. Best stuff I've found for removing a wide range of adhesive goo.

I had the same thing happen to me in the spring after taping up my mast for the winter. I lined up GooGone, Acetone, Varsol, WD40 and Lacquer Thinners and tried one at a time. Some worked but took a lot of elbow grease, others did nothing or just smeared the glue around, but the Lacquer Thinner removed it almost instantly. Just keep trying different things until you find the right solution (pun intended) for the specific glue you have. Good luck!

I think I've got to visit my boat in winter storage and take the duct tape off........

I think I've got to visit my boat in winter storage and take the duct tape off........

You can buy shrink wrap tape in white or blue and it works great. Comes off with no residue. It is very strong as well and sticks to practically anything. Usually available in 2" and 4" widths and most marine stores have it or can be found on many websites.

For Aussies only. Eucalyptus oil is good for removing this kind of residue.

I used Gorilla tape to tape water ingress points on our boat for Matthew. One spot I used Goof Off, and while it took some elbow grease to get it all off, I soon discovered that just dabbing a fresh piece of tape onto the area worked far better and faster!

Tom.B nailed it. The residue loves to stick to fresh tape. Patience is your friend.

3M Citrus cleaner will also remove it, but the stuff is expensive.

Baby oil - Dab it on. Let set for 20 to 30 minutes. Wipe off the oil with diluted duct tape glue included. Repeat if needed.

Duck tape removal

Use Xylene. Available at your local paint / hardware store. Ok on varnish for short periods. Great for most sticky stuff. Same stuff as the old fashioned cigarette lighter fluid.

While it's too late for the current problem, in the future, I'd recommend exchanging your duct tape for gaffer tape. Among its other many uses, it is used to tape audio cables to stage floors, and leaves no residue when removed. I carry a roll on both my boat & motorcycle...works as well, if not better, than duct tape. A little pricier, but well worth it.

I would sure hope 3M adhesive remover would work on 3M adhesive!!!

I'm trying Tom's duct tape idea. Sounds like it oughta work similar to having a hair of the dog that bit you.

I heard that Tang makes a pretty good adhesive remover.

I used Duc-Tape to secure a few things on the boat in prep for Matthew. Went to the auto parts for 3M adhesive Remover. $23.00 for a quart. Ouch. Gonna try lacquer thinner first. The 3 M stuff really works good....but, $23.00??????

While it's too late for the current problem, in the future, I'd recommend exchanging your duct tape for gaffer tape. Among its other many uses, it is used to tape audio cables to stage floors, and leaves no residue when removed. I carry a roll on both my boat & motorcycle...works as well, if not better, than duct tape. A little pricier, but well worth it.

Is Gaffer tape available at hardware-home improvement stores?

Is Gaffer tape available at hardware-home improvement stores?

I've never seen it the typical hardware stores. I get mine locally from PNTA, a theater supply store located in Seattle. You can also get it from Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom