Old 02-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
I like the DD boats but they are way too expensive for now. Could this be considered as a "starter duck"? Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3587814940.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	27198 Maybe more sailor than trawler, but the 3.5' draft is interesting. Seems to have decent living space.

Thoughts? Anyone been one one of these?
Could a family of four spend a week on one?

http://m.yachtworld.com/mobile/listi...oat_id=2024652

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I like the DD boats but they are way too expensive for now. Could this be considered as a "starter duck"? Attachment 27198 Maybe more sailor than trawler, but the 3.5' draft is interesting. Seems to have decent living space.

Thoughts? Anyone been one one of these?
Could a family of four spend a week on one?

Schucker Cutter Rig 436 Gallery - Ref: 1831 - YachtWorld.com Mobile
I like it.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Portland Oregon
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Classic
Looks pretty tight compared to other trawlers. If kids not yet teens maybe ok. I have always chosen to buy used boats rather than new, as I am good at restoring things and am comfortable doing so. This particular boat has a nice helm setup. Scary to me was not finding engine room photos. Also motor sailors are known for compromises. Location of photos makes me wonder about the Tom Fexas "pool sandwich" effect. This is where boat just stays in your back yard. Know your goals.
Sapphire
denloe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by denloe1 View Post
Looks pretty tight compared to other trawlers. If kids not yet teens maybe ok. I have always chosen to buy used boats rather than new, as I am good at restoring things and am comfortable doing so. This particular boat has a nice helm setup. Scary to me was not finding engine room photos. Also motor sailors are known for compromises. Location of photos makes me wonder about the Tom Fexas "pool sandwich" effect. This is where boat just stays in your back yard. Know your goals.

It looks like the marina pictures were taken at Fort Myers City Marina. The canal pictures at Punta Gorda which is directly on Charlotte Harbor. This is a very good sailing and cruising area. You never know how the owner used the boat, but it is located in a good sailing area that the shallow draft would be appreciated.

That area is only about a 160 mile sail to Key West or the Dry Tortugas. Easily reachable in about 36 hours. The motorsailer part would be nice when the wind dies down.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Starter Duck?

I'd say yes. You may even find it better. Certainly better looking.

With the low helm visibility being poor underway looking fwd and visibility everywhere poor I'd not choose it for me but ... If you can accept the visibility (or lack of) and the expense of two propulsion systems this boat would make an excellent trawler.

My Willard has 3.5' draft.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
That's a Schucker. I've got the baby sister and have been well pleased with her. They have lots of storage and there is a Yahoogroups for the Schucker brand. You might have heard of "Gentleman's Guide to Passages South" -- Bruce Van Sant chose a Schucker as his last boat.

They are not perfect but after six years, I've only found one thing "wrong" -- the fuel pick-up lines were (past tense/fixed now) inaccessible. Two access ports (Beckman plates) solved that issue.

There is WONDERFUL access to the engine. The builder actually understood that at some point you'd be changing impellers, doing maintenance, etc. Large panels come off. And the deck comes up for full access on Seaweed. Ditto the one big girl I was aboard.

I like them.
Try yahoogroups for a Schucker list. It's worth joining --not a lot of traffic but if a question comes up, lots of experience ready to help/offer advice.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We have been on a couple of Shuckers. The inside area is pretty livable and very open. Going to weather, they are more comfortable with the helm further back than some pilot house trawlers. For coastal and the Caribbean I think it is a good boat but not really designed for off shore IMHO. Shuckers are not overly built.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We have been on a couple of Shuckers. The inside area is pretty livable and very open. Going to weather, they are more comfortable with the helm further back than some pilot house trawlers. For coastal and the Caribbean I think it is a good boat but not really designed for off shore IMHO. Shuckers are not overly built.
Ahh, so not really a baby DD then if it's no good off shore.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #9

City: Skagway Alaska
Vessel Name: Nowitna and Yukon
Vessel Model: Schucker and 53 foot wood homemade
Not offshore

I have personally looked at the boat in the picture. I also own a 40' Shucker. Great boats but not for offshore use in my opinion. Windows are not strong enough and the cockpit is way to big. Holds lots of water before it drains and takes too long to do so. Very fuel efficient boats drawing 3'2" with single engines and they do sail. Heavy Hulls and 14' of beam. Here is a picture of my boat.
Not sure if I downloaded the picture or not.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #10

Try again
Click image for larger version

Name:	092.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	27214
Old 02-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Personally, I like it. From the looks of it i dont see a problem with visibility from the helm. It seems pretty high up.. It probably gets great mileage, especially with a sail or two or three up. It might not bee a blue water boat, but very very few trawlers are anyhow. As a member of a family of four, I wouldnt hesitate to gunkhole around for a few weeks on that boat. I especially like the rear cockpit that would make a great fishing station and would be safe for kids. mst motorsailors have a flush deck back there. As someone else pointed out though, it could use some large scuppers to allow water egress faster in bad weather. The only reason shucker isnt on my shortlist is that most were designed for two or four (also like most trawlers) and we will need to sleep 6 at times.
Check it out and tel us what you think!
Scott
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
Try again
I'm not really a big offshore guy so don't know squat yet-- so this is no more stable or safe off shore than a regular trawler? I would think the good size sail a would give some stability, but I didn't really consider the water not shedding easily.

I like the back up sail idea, and I think they are cool looking boats! Found one for $59k asking price that needs some "TLC". That sounds scary... :-(
Old 02-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #13
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Schucker was also one of my favorites. The only sail boat that ever got me to thinking I might switch to the light side was a Schucker 40. The engine access was impressive, well thought out. Inside height seemed good, layout was decent, and I actually preferred the head and shower in the bow. I never got an opportunity to sea-trial one but if a nice looking Schucker would have been available at the same time as my boat, I'd still have bought the Manatee, if for no other reason, just to save the inconvenience of the bridge clearance.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #14
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
As Janice mentioned, Bruce Van Sant cruised his "trawlerized" Schucker in the Caribbean for a number of years. Here is his website - may open up some possibilities.

Schucker 440 Motorsailer Tidak Apa
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #15

Schucker

Their is a Schucker forum you can do a google search for.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #16
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Here's what they look like out of the water. I saw this in storage over in Rotunda Fl. back in October. She appeared to be in excellent condition, but I don't think was for sale.
As I write this, I have a long time client en-route from his home in Costa Rica to the Rio Dulce to see the one there, also on Yachtworld. I've been watching it for awhile for myself, since it's "already there", so when he asked my recommendation of a good coastal cruiser- I immediately thought of her. He's 76 and is planning to sail down the East Coast of South America to Brazil. (He used to own a Soveral 48' that he based in Columbia that he cruised back and forth to Miami, and had a Motorsailer over in Europe, AND a Catamaran in Costa Rica, so he's not a neophyte I'm sending to his doom). Not having seen the boat, I just gave him the Brokers number and wished him good luck. I'll let you all know what he discovered. You want one with the Pullman berth layout with the head forward, which is what it is. These boats have interiors like a power boat, complete with hide-a-bed in the salon. They were built over in the Ft. Myers area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3106.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	27219  

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #17
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
cardude: Check out the link on Tidak Apa and click on the "other photos". Nice shot in there of the engine space.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #18
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Here I was, thinking Duck Substitute might be pate or perhaps smoked salmon?
Old 02-09-2014, 05:21 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
I have personally looked at the boat in the picture. I also own a 40' Shucker. Great boats but not for offshore use in my opinion. Windows are not strong enough and the cockpit is way to big. Holds lots of water before it drains and takes too long to do so. Very fuel efficient boats drawing 3'2" with single engines and they do sail. Heavy Hulls and 14' of beam. Here is a picture of my boat.
Not sure if I downloaded the picture or not.
I like it, and I wouldn't want the cockpit any smaller - it might just need the scuppers enlarged or more added.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #20
FF
Guru

Any large full sized cockpit can be freed of a great quanity of water with scuppers.

With modest sail area this boat should not heel far so the freeing ports would be just above the healed water line.

Built more with power boat scantlings , it could be fine alongshore , but ocean passages might be out of her abilities.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote