Old 02-14-2012, 03:30 AM   #41
RE: dual bow rollers

"I have no shares in the company"

Sorry , when steel bought for $200 a ton gets sold for as much per pound as a 747 , there is a good deal for stockholders.

My WWII Danforths have NEVER failed me , but I don't push the product.

ONE happy user does not make a great product.

In 60 years we will see if CQR and Danforth have been replaced by TONKA , SCARCA or ,,,,,,?

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #42
TF Site Team
City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
dual bow rollers

Ok, well, we'll have to agree to disagree FF, but I have had both CQR and Danforths fail me. I used a Danforth on my yacht, and found they could skid along the surface if it was a bit hard or weedy, or pick up stuff like cans on the fluke points. That latter issue happened several times in popular anchorages. However, I agree the design is basically sound for softish, non-weedy bottoms, but my main objection to them is their rather unwieldy shape for bowsprit roller deployment, especially once the weight gets up on a larger boat. Ok if you have an anchor hawse of course - like big ships - similar design.
As to CQR/plows...lots of people still use them...I'll stop there...

Rob, that bowsprit assembly you knocked up looks really businesslike and excellent.* I bet it works well.

Jan, I see what you mean about the sprit not being wide enough to move the winch.* Mine is wide enough the winch could be rotated around the chain drop hole, to angle it slightly towards optimum alignment.* Maybe you need to replace yours with something like Rob's, or with a wider thicker piece of timber.* Mine is almost a foot wide and is 2 & 1/2 inches thick, backing onto a Samson Post similar to yours.

-- Edited by Peter B on Tuesday 14th of February 2012 06:32:59 AM

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #43
City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

I wouldn't be too fussed about carrying 2 anchors up forward all the time.
If you have a quality heavy primary anchor and all cahin rode (we're talking east coast Aus here) you won't have many problems.
Carry at least 1 spare plough type anchor , doesn't have to be as heavy as your primary and also a good reef pick set up.
My anchor locker is set up in 2, one half carries all the primary anchor chain the other carries all the rope, chain, buoy and reef pick for the reef set up.
Double anchor set up I allways set as previously stated one behind the other, this requires planing ahead due to prior knowledge of strong wind.
Duel anchors off the bow have a tendancy to tangle IMO.

Now when you do head north you must come into Mooloolaba and we can compare engines or we may catch up further up the track.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #44
Veteran Member
City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: NightinGayle
Vessel Model: Tradewinds 42

Thanks guys a most helpful dialogue.

Benn I'd love to say hi in Mooloolaba in due course :-)

JanisK is offline   Reply With Quote