Old 07-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Re: Dsc

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

Sounds like it will be OK once you are out of port. or out of range
These things go off every so often up here.* When they do, everybody's radio all through the San Juans*or the Gulf Islands or both places howls.* My guess is that the signal is such that it is very easy to pick up and for the radio to react to even if it's weak. So I don't know what the range is, but it's a lot more than just being out of port.* You need to be out of the entire area.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #22
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

Alarm sound is a defening loud alarm. You surely will know it when it happens! It will scare
the hell out of you the first time you hear it.

Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

A false alarm does not happen too often around here. Almost all DSC radios have a guarded switch. I would assume all "false" alarms to be intentional and done with malice(read kids playing here). I seriously doubt they are done by someone accidently bumping a button. I have heard only one around our area since their proliferation....and yes, it is loud!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #24
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

A few weeks back I installed a new antenna a WM VHF650 radio with DSC. I had already applied and gitten my MMRI number and entered it in the new radio. I dug out my Garmin plotter book and read the section on connecting to a plotter. Wired everything in using the accesory cables on each for the NMEA "hookup". I guess I'm ready to go- but am not sure how to test the thing. Maybe I should push "the button"?
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #25
TF Site Team

....or not!!!...
Old 07-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #26
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

If you know someone else with the DSC get there mmsi number and programm it into your radio then press DSC.

If you have it hooked up to your plotter (I have a garmin )It will come up on your screen as a boat icon.

both *radio's should then switch to a pre determined*channel.

SD*
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #27
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
Forkliftt wrote:

A few weeks back I installed a new antenna a WM VHF650 radio with DSC. I had already applied and gitten my MMRI number and entered it in the new radio. I dug out my Garmin plotter book and read the section on connecting to a plotter. Wired everything in using the accesory cables on each for the NMEA "hookup". I guess I'm ready to go- but am not sure how to test the thing. Maybe I should push "the button"?
Steve,
*All you have to do is press the DSC button not the red one.* It is a great little toy. Sort of makes your radio act like a cell phone.*

when you hit the DSC*button the radio will ask whom to call**i.e. all ships, individual group and so on.
If it is individual you can scroll down to whom ever's number and name you have entered .
Hit DSC again the radio switches to channel 70.*and say's waiting for acknowledgement.*
*Any one with the radio turned on that has DSC will*hear a series of beeps if you hear the beeps you hit the DSC.*Both your radio and the boat you are calling will switch to channel 8.**
*No one will know. No eves dropping.*
You can send a position report*if you like*and the*GPS*numbers will show up on the radio. On the GPS plotter if it is hooked up. It shows an icon for the* boat.

It really is a great way to keep in contact with just those you choose.

If you hit the red button you know what that does.

SD*

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:21 AM   #28
TF Site Team

SD, it will switch to whatever channel you were on when you began this operation. So if you want to talk on 68, you turn it to 68 and then do what you said above. When they answer, it will switch them over to 68 automatically. You may know this but it sounded like you were saying the default was always Ch 8. And I know all radios are different but if I am receiving a call, all I have to do is hit the transmit button to answer it and the freq change occurs automatically....IOW, pick up the mic and talk just like would do if your phone was ringing. It also has caller ID so you know who is calling. If it is somebody you already have programmed, their name will show up. If not, it will just be an MMSID number....just like a cellphone would work.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Dsc

We have the DSC hooked up on our VHF and SSB/Ham radio.* One GPS feeds booth.* The SSB/Ham scans*6 different frequencies.*We hooked them up because they were there.* Will they work?** I'm not so sure.* Most boaters I have talked to don't have theirs*hooked up and*few seem to understand the DSC system.

As far as HF radio goes, most large voice stations (SSB/Ham) have closed.* Commercial shipping (>300 GT) have HF radios as part of GMDSS but are they on?* Our HF radio is on maybe 1-2 hours per day and is used for nets, email or weather.*

Will DSC ever work*as it was intended?* Has anyone heard where DSC was used as a method of rescue?

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Paz, BCS, MX

-- Edited by Larry M on Sunday 12th of September 2010 04:13:38 PM
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #30
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Absolutely. I have mine hooked up to the VHF and HF. The USCG is continually upgrading their stations to handle these distress calls. I got to see one in operation a few years ago at USCG group San Francisco, right under the golden gate bridge. When you hit the button, it immediately sounds an alarm and prints out a page with your vessel information (assuming you've registered it) and your exact point at the time of transmission. Pretty cool!

Also other DSC equipped radios will sound an alarm when you hit the button.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote