Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Driver

Inquiry -* Besides yourself and perhaps your mate, who else do you let drive your boat? Does your insurance allow for a "guest" driver?**** KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Driver

When I take my boat out, I let everyone drive it. Kids and all. BTW, my current boat is a sailboat and it's a lot easier to screw up than a power boat.

As far as insurance is concerned, I have no idea if*they are covered and personally, I don't care. I am there to make sure nothing goes wrong.

-- Edited by Tony B on Friday 24th of February 2012 12:05:06 AM
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Driver

Like TonyB, I will let anyone with an interest drive my boat. I will instruct them as much as I feel they want, and really try to make them understand all that goes into the process. However, I remain fully engaged in all aspects. I know that ultimately it is me who is responsible for everything on the boat.

As to my insurance, I don't worry about it, because I am fully engaged in my responsibility.

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 24th of February 2012 12:08:58 AM
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
RE: Driver

Never have I seen/heard of*recreational boat insurance specify who can drive...operate may be a different story.* As long as the O/O is aboard I doubt there would be much issue with the exception that in states that require "licensing" or some kind of operator training.* Failure of the "driver" to meet that criteria may get you in trouble if there's an incident.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

I don't recall my insurance specifying who can operate the boat.

I don't often take people other than my wife, but when I do, I'll offer them the wheel if it's safe. I'm not far away, though.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville

Quote:
KJ wrote:
Inquiry -* Besides yourself and perhaps your mate, who else do you let drive your boat? Does your insurance allow for a "guest" driver?**** KJ
*We let the autopilot drive a lot. *

My insurance company has never said one way or the other.* If a guest was at the helm and he screwed up, it would still be my fault.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
Boat Bum

City: Kemah, Texas
Vessel Name: Traveling Star
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40

I have heard about policies that limit who is at the helm.* Mine is not one of them.*

The only time I am at the helm is during take offs,*landings, and when the Admiral need to hit the head.* Other than that I am pretty much just the chief engineer.
Alfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Driver

Pretty much the same as everybody else, I'll let friends drive but I am close by glancing at the instruments and looking out for crab traps. My son would like to take Old School out on his own so I made a deal w/ him. 20 hours of instruction, driving, startup, shutdown, the whole ball of wax w/ me as his instructor. Then a checkout flight w/ me aboard doing absolutely nothing, just watching him single hand it. So far he's got 2.5 hours w/ more to come next time he's in from college. Pretty fun.

-- Edited by Gulf Comanche on Friday 24th of February 2012 08:24:45 AM
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Driver

Like Carl, whenever my kids are driving, I have no worries,as they can do as good a job as I can while away from the dock. So far none have volunteered to dock the boat, although I wouldn't expect any problems. Perhaps that is why they don't want to dock it, as they wouldn't want to disappoint the old guy, should their docking not turn out perfect. I am a bit disappointed none have "asked for the keys".
Unlike Carl, when my daughter brought her boyfriend along, he knew there was a competition, in fact he had already passed it, by being invited along. My son-in-law can steer as true a course as she can, despite being raised without any salt water nearby.
As for strangers, I will offer the helm to anyone who is my guest aboard. Sometimes, while leaving the confines of the harbour, while I am raising the mast and like duties, I will ask for help by having my guest take the helm. The only people who ever come on my boat are aware, and not afraid to say no, if they lack confidence in their own abilities. Besides, I am close by and can see how they are doing.
As for insurance, there is another thread on rules of the road, which applies. If your boat is involved in any incident with another, it won't matter who was at the helm, it will still be your fault. Your insurer will only want a rider on your policy for other drivers if you are chartering your boat to others, then your rates will be higher, by enough to cover incompetence.

-- Edited by koliver on Friday 24th of February 2012 09:52:52 AM
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Yep. The captain is responsible weather it's Auto Pilot or mike turning the rudder.

Look at old Joe Hazelwood . Spilled 50,000 gallons from a single whisky bottle.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Its either my wife or me at the helm (she is quite competent, including electronics, close qtrs maneuvering and docking) but I do have two friends that are very competent (one is a ragbagger and the other a retired merchant mariner) to do more than just take the helm, although they turn it over to me for docking (as I do if I am at the helm of their boats). Otherwise, I will allow someone to take the helm only in open water and with me or my wife lurking close by.

The big exception is my son who actually "stole" our boat one night with a bunch of his friends without telling me. Son had only been on the boat once previously with me. I did not get very annoyed as he and his friends are merchant mariners with thousands of hours operating much larger commercial vessels as well as yacht maintenance and operation experience. I got a report the next day about how they had first gone over the boat's systems to fully understand them and ensure they were working properly (including engine and seacocks check) before cranking her up. Not even a scratch but the booze supply suffered. I suppose if they had had an accident, there would have been all sorts of complications. But they didn't.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:
Yep. The captain is responsible weather it's Auto Pilot or mike turning the rudder.

Look at old Joe Hazelwood . Spilled 50,000 gallons from a single whisky bottle.

SD
*Ask*Capt. Francesco Schettino*of the Costa Concordia
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Driver

l let very few pilot my boat as I am anal as hell. Exceptions have been dwhatty, FlyWright, my wife and the newest driver, (and possibly the most interested, is my grandson, who's 9.)

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 24th of February 2012 11:44:01 AM
Attached Thumbnails
img_4224.jpg   img_4222.jpg   img_4231.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

My tireless friend Otto maintains the course 90% of the time.* I push his buttons.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Driver

Our insurance policy uses the word OPERATE, which implies person responsible for taking the boat out.*
Covered Person is defined as you, my wife and myself. Or any person of legal entity operating the insured vessel as shown on the Declaration page with OUR direct and prior permission. The only my wife and I are on the declaration.
However, we can let other people drive as long as we have the full responsibility of the boat.* Maybe our policy is more restrictive as its a YATCH policy and 58 ft, 40 tons which most pleasure boaters do not have the knowledge/experience to operate.* When we bought the Eagle the bank and insurance company questions if I had the knowledge and experience.* Most people feel intimidated when the take the helm of the Eagle even experience boaters.*
Also the other interest thing is that is EXCLUDES employee, agents, marina, repair yards, sales agency, and yacht club.* So basically by the policy I am the only person that can operate the*Eagle without telling the insurance company.* ******So read the fine print of your insurance policy.* **

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 24th of February 2012 04:37:43 PM
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
KJ wrote:
*My wife and I drive the boat pretty equally.* On the rare occasion--- usually just once a year--- that we have guests with us we'll let the husband drive at times because they have an aptitude for it and both have boating experience.* However when they do either my wife or I are at the helm station, too, keeping an eye on things.* And we don't let them drive in narrow passages where current is a factor, or into a marina and so on.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
l let very few pilot my boat as I am anal as hell. Exceptions have been dwhatty, FlyWright, my wife and the newest driver, (and possibly the most interested, is my grandson, who's 9.)
*But you were hovering close by, at least with me.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

About every 18 months I make a 100 mile trip to the yard I trust for a haul out.

My business partner of over 20 years always comes along, and he always drives the complete 100 miles. If he's not driving he gets bored.

I trust my business partner with everything. I love the fact that he drives. It's the only trip where I can go down into the lazarette and listen to the prop spinning, or into the engine room to listen and watch. I have spend a hour watching the fuel tank sight gauges indicate fuel transfer between tanks as the boat rolls in wakes. I can put a gloved hand on the prop shaft and feel vibration as the engine speeds up and slows down.

My wife drives, usually in open water, and sometimes for several hours at a time, but she wants me on the flybridge.

Mike
Palm Coast FL
pull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Mike wrote:
....where I can go down into the lazarette and listen to the prop spinning, or into the engine room to listen and watch. I have spend a hour watching the fuel tank sight gauges indicate fuel transfer between tanks as the boat rolls in wakes. I can put a gloved hand on the prop shaft and feel vibration as the engine speeds up and slows down.
*Ah love. Or something akin to it. I can empathize.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Yep. Spot on.*

Melissa says you must know my husband.

Mike
Palm Coast Fl
pull is offline   Reply With Quote