City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
At my marina/dock, one hardly hears more than the "crickets."

Old 08-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #162
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Skidgear, you are describing people sitting on their sundeck haveing a few drinks and laughing.

I'll be perfectly honest here...

If it was prior to say 10:00 at night (week day) and you asked people on our boat to "tone it down" because someone laughed too loud, I'd probably offer you a beer or ignore you to avoid a conflict.

Living on a shared space means that you have to deal with however others might choose to use that shared space. As long as the music isn't turned up, or its really late at night we have no rights to silence on a dock.

If I asked the charter captain parked right next to me to please not have a crew cleaning his boat (with music) at night, or to not allow his clients to talk and joke at 4 in the morning he would rightfully tell me to buzz off.

I'm sitting on my boat right now. I was up at 5:00 having a cup of coffee. The dock is a 24X7 place. At that hour people are walking up and down the dock. Fishermen are preparing to go out. Its not a silent place at any hour.

Thats part of what I love about harbors. The sights and the sounds of dockside life.
Standard procedure for loud partiers is to offer someone who asked them to tone it down a drink. SOP among drunks. If declined, the party rages on, but even louder as they "are going to prove who's boss". Unless I want to get into it, I go below and close all the doors. Standard drunk behavior. By the way, I have an occasional drink and conversations take place on the sundeck of our boat. But if we have adjacent neighbors, I ask my guests to keep it down if they get loud. House rules that pisses a lot of them off including my heavy drinking brother who took it as an insult and hasn't spoken to me since. So be it....you're not welcome on my boat if you can't respect others around you.

psneeld, This isn't about folks who have a quiet drink and a quiet conversation....it's about surely alcoholics who don't like having their habit infringed upon.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #163
Guru

City: Georgia
Mark, if you got crickets, you got problems.

Spent a lot of time at Treasure Island marina in PC Florida. It got quiet after the treasure ship quit calling waiting diners over the PA that their table was ready, usually about 10 or 11 on weekends. Then it was as quiet as could reasonably be expected. One morning about 4 am one of teh charter boats had forgot to top up the night before, couldn't find the attendant and laid on their horn, waking the attendant I'm sure, but all those staying on their boats as well. Some things just make people cuss. Never had problems with drinkers, and as far as I remember no one had problems with me.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #164
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
Standard procedure for loud partiers is to offer someone who asked them to tone it down a drink. SOP among drunks. If declined, the party rages on, but even louder as they "are going to prove who's boss". Unless I want to get into it, I go below and close all the doors. Standard drunk behavior. By the way, I have an occasional drink and conversations take place on the sundeck of our boat. But if we have adjacent neighbors, I ask my guests to keep it down if they get loud. House rules that pisses a lot of them off including my heavy drinking brother who took it as an insult and hasn't spoken to me since. So be it....you're not welcome on my boat if you can't respect others around you.

psneeld, This isn't about folks who have a quiet drink and a quiet conversation....it's about surely alcoholics who don't like having their habit infringed upon.
Wow...I didn't know there was a difference based on so many posts.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #165
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Wow...I didn't know there was a difference based on so many posts.
Then you didn't completely read my post # 158
Old 08-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #166
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
By Janice
"And a glass of white wine with a freshly broiled fish on the magma grill is just about perfection. And with a bulldozer drizzled in olive oil with Old Bay spice, garlic and some paprika? Hand me a glass of something tingly and cold and I'm a happy boater."

Ok I'll bite. What in the world is a "bulldozer" I am familiar with the Cat, JD, and Komatsu varieties, but it seems you are writing about some sort of fish or crab?
Hello Steve.

Think small lobster, without the claws. Tasty, though the texture is more solid than a lobster. A local here has taught me about them (yummy!) and I look forward to being invited again. Soon, I hope.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #167
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Well I learned something from this thread. I've never heard of a bulldozer either.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #168
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Just to add to the topic....

"A Bay Shore man was struck and killed by a boat propeller Sunday evening in Baldwin Bay and the boat’s operator faces a vehicular manslaughter charge after authorities determined he was drunk at the time of the accident, police said.

According to police, Raymond Balboa, of Baldwin, was operating a 50-foot Sea Ray with about 10-14 people on board when he stopped the boat in the bay so the passengers could go swimming. After a short time, Balboa, 53, requested that everyone get back on the boat, police said.

Balboa started the boat’s engines and began to navigate the vessel while one passenger, Cesar Hernandez-Rodas, 34, remained in the water, police said. Hernandez-Rodas was struck by the boat’s propeller and suffered multiple lacerations to his lower extremities, police said.

Hernandez-Rodas was brought on board the boat, which moved to a nearby home. Hernandez-Rodas was then transported by a Nassau County ambulance to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

During an investigation, Balboa showed signs of intoxication and he was placed under arrest without incident, police said.

Balboa is charged with second degree vehicular manslaughter, operating a vessel while intoxicated and operating an unregistered vessel. He will be arraigned on Monday at First District Court in Hempstead.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #169
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
The thread was started about drinking and operating a boat. I'm pleased to see that the majority of the posters understand the dangers of drinking and boating. I suppose trawler owners are mostly more mature than owners of center consoles or bowriders. Or perhaps alcohol has thinned the ranks.

A few posters were pretty defensive and I suspect they are those who do drink while operating a boat. I hope these folks will think seriously about this and learn to wait until they are safely ashore or anchored for the night. Not only is boating under the influence (any influence) a danger to yourselves, it's putting your friends, loved ones and innocent bystanders at risk.

I posted that I was a performing musician and truth be told, alcohol probably paid for the boat I own. Alcohol in moderation is fine in my opinion but only when there is no need to operate machinery or make important decisions. Drink at home or out with a designated driver. And know when you've had enough so you don't make a fool of yourself.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #170
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Skidgear,

I have found that marinas on the inland rivers and lakes have more party stuff going on than on the east coast. Well, that is except Ego Alley in Annapolis. For the most part it has been pretty quiet in the marinas we frequent. Of course we only cruise down to Miami/FL occasionally, but still have found the marinas relatively quite. There are some noisy boats going up and down the ICW.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Old 08-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #171
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
You know a while back in this thread I posted that I just physically couldn't drink and boat because I can't afford to lose .00001% of my concentration and dexterity and reaction time at the helm. All the debates about the social and legal angles aside - and just to be clear, I love a good, fresh, ice cold martini myself once in a while - I'm surprised so many posters think they can still confidently and skillfully guide tons of boat through wind and water with any alcohol molecules bouncing around in their brains. Moving a boat must be much easier and more casual and less demanding for lots of people than it is for me.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #172
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
You know a while back in this thread I posted that I just physically couldn't drink and boat because I can't afford to lose .00001% of my concentration and dexterity and reaction time at the helm. All the debates about the social and legal angles aside - and just to be clear, I love a good, fresh, ice cold martini myself once in a while - I'm surprised so many posters think they can still confidently and skillfully guide tons of boat through wind and water with any alcohol molecules bouncing around in their brains. Moving a boat must be much easier and more casual and less demanding for lots of people than it is for me.
Professionals fly, drive, captain all sorts of things in less than perfect state of health and mind.

Professionals know when it's beyond even reasonable limits to continue to do so.

To think an airline pilot, train engineer, truck driver, cruise ship captain never continues with a cold, headache, extreme fatigue, etc..etc...is living in a fantasy land.

But you don't have to be a professional to be proficient with your own boat.

If I truly thought 2 beers over an hour or two with a meal was going to impact my ability to drive a 6.3 knot boat in reasonable conditions...then I should sell her now as I plan on driving her into my years where I know my faculties will be less than what I have now even with two beers in me on a meal.

I guess selling her is the "responsible" thing to do.... NOT!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #173
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
The more I think of this - we're normally power boaters, but last month we chartered a sailboat to Catalina from Long Beach with friends. Buddy at the helm, you have to hang off the bow as far as you can, grab a sharp pointy stick on a peanut bouy tied to the mooring ball, haul up the first line, cleat it off, then walk (run) along the rail (without toppling over the railing cables) to hand-over-hand the aft mooring line (without cutting your hands on the barnacles) and cleat it off aft, all in about 15 seconds before your 42 foot sailboat whacks somebody's million dollar yacht moored right beside you. I'd be happy to try that just before a good martini, but certainly not after one.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #174
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

If I truly thought 2 beers over an hour or two with a meal was going to impact my ability to drive a 6.3 knot boat in reasonable conditions...then I should sell her now as I plan on driving her into my years where I know my faculties will be less than what I have now even with two beers in me on a meal.

I guess selling her is the "responsible" thing to do.... NOT!!!!!!
We're on the same "wavelength."
Old 08-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #175
Guru

If I see a dark horizon with a coupe waterspouts touching down...yeah...maybe I will not crack that second beer with the sandwich...or if I have a particularly demanding anchoring or mooring..maybe not even the first one...

I just thank my lucky stars to know my limits and to have the ability to function operationally under a lot of different stressors and distractions.

And maybe...just maybe...that's what I was getting at in the training thread....training can make you different...you just have to seek out where you want to get.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #176
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
We're on the same "wavelength."
Based on the PMs I'm getting...don't feel alone with reasonableness in living your life...
Old 08-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #177
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I would feel a bit uncomfortable if the tow boat operator showed up with a beer in one hand.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #178
Guru

Sounds like many here are uncomfortable that alcohol is allowed out on the water at all for anyone.

Based on my guess...if in the over 50 crowd, we have probably flown in an airplane that was flown by one or both pilots under the influence at some point in our lives...doesn't make it right but based on fatal airline accident reports...it seemed to me alcohol was a lot less of a risk than many other factors out there.

None of what I have been posting justifies drinking and boating ...but most of what's been posted against it doesn't justify the "backlash" society has against it either and the thoughts of controlling it (especially in the same breath many here use in "losing freedoms".

Drunk and drinking as pointed out already go hand in hand...but are NOT synonymous....

I know one towboat business is zero tolerance for their captains.... even though federal law doesn't quite put it that way...I would guess all the companies are so don't worry.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #179
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Hello Steve.

Think small lobster, without the claws. Tasty, though the texture is more solid than a lobster. A local here has taught me about them (yummy!) and I look forward to being invited again. Soon, I hope.

They're called Shovel Lobster. So now you can ask for them by name.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #180
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Having been on ocassion been as s!*t faced as the village priest, I can attest that the person imbibing is the least qualified to determine his own state of impairment.

Closed Thread