Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Like others I do not consume alcohol underway.

At anchor I might have a glass of wine, but it will be very minimal.

I am responsible for my boat, and have to have my faculties.

Sitting in a slip I can let go more.

www.mvlisasway.com
Old 08-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I don't imbibe. If anybody on TF needs an example of how alcohol affects human judgement, I suggest a visit to OTDE. As well as don't drink and drive how about don't drink and post?

Old 08-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #23

City: Anacortes
At the dock: Sure.
At anchor: Little
Underway: Nope

I learned some time ago that we are really bad at breathing water, 6 foot or 60, doesn't matter. I don't think most people are able to rationalize a recreational activity with the respect of the environment they are in to begin with. To add alcohol to that mixture, would be a bad idea.

My goal is to place strict limits on my own stupidity.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #24

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I frankly don't know if there are laws on the books in this state governing drinking and operating a boat.
Hi Marin,

It is against the law in Washington State.

RCW 79A.60.040 :

(2) It is unlawful for a person to operate a vessel while under the influence of intoxicating liquor, marijuana, or any drug. A person is considered to be under the influence of intoxicating liquor, marijuana, or any drug if, within two hours of operating a vessel:

(a) The person has an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or higher as shown by analysis of the person's breath or blood
Old 08-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #25
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
The limit in South Australia is 0.05, but it is perfectly legal to drink while you are operating a car or boat, as long as you are below the legal blood alcohol limit.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
All I know is when I'm trying to glide back into our slip in a high wind without touching anything or whacking anybody else's boat, I need every brain, nerve, and fine-motor muscle cell I have in my body, all firing in perfect coordination - and even then I still embarass myself once in a while. I don't even want to smell a drink until we're rocking on the mooring lines.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #27
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
As a Kiwi I love a good cold beer but never until we are at anchor or at the dock. Right now we are anchored in the Harbor Island wildlife refuge in the North Channel and am enjoying a cold Corona.

CheersClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407356843.722512.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	31849
Old 08-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #28
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
The limit in South Australia is 0.05, but it is perfectly legal to drink while you are operating a car or boat, as long as you are below the legal blood alcohol limit.
That actually makes sense. But as usual, here in the good old US we take the sledgehammer approach, just having an open container in the car is the same as driving under the influence.

Bob
Old 08-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Two people were killed when their boat crashed into a dock on Lake Tahoe at night. The high-speed impact split the boat. Alcohol suspected.

Bay Area couple killed in boat crash on Lake Tahoe - Crime - Sacto 911 - The Sacramento Bee
Old 08-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #30
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
That actually makes sense. But as usual, here in the good old US we take the sledgehammer approach, just having an open container in the car is the same as driving under the influence.

Bob
Unless there's an open container law in the town you are boating in...open container is not federal law and not in NJ either (and I would bet it's not in many states). Not all motor vehicle laws apply to all motor vehicles again depending where you live.

You are more likely to be stopped if seen tipping one back while at the helm...but it's not illegal and even the towns around me with open container laws usually don't enforce them on the waterways.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: 5 O'Clock Somewhere
Vessel Model: 2016 Beneteau Swift 30
24 hours from bottle to throttle and no libation till docked!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #32
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Noticed that things had changed recently at a home up the street from us; something was odd. I learned today that who I had considered a responsible person had at 10 PM hit a motorcycle with their car couple weeks back... just 1000' down the road at a junction. Cycle rider lived but was hospitalized for some time. Car driver fled the scene and went to the house. Cops followed glass tracks and water tracks to the car. Evidently the driver had been "out" for the evening. Leaving the scene of any tragedy is deplorable.

Moral of the story: DON"T Drink and Drive - At All!!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #33
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Some folks are a menace at the helm no matter what, add alcohol or drugs and you read about them in the news stories. Some folks know better than to drive after too many libations and do it anyway thinking "this one time will be ok." Some of us are very situationally aware and like AusCan pointed out capable of analyzing our risks. We can say no and mean it.

Yes I drink while on my boat at the dock, anchor or underway if I feel like it. No, not like Hemingway did but then he was responsible enough to have a captain. BUI is a completely different subject and no I do not partake in that.

I'm far more concerned about reckless behavior (including BUI) than I am about somebody having a drink while driving their boat. If you don't recognize the difference you are better off without any alcohol on your boat entirely IMO.

I have drank perhaps 10 beers and 4 glasses of Scotch total in the last 3 months to put this post into its proper perspective. Far from a party animal.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 08-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #34
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post

Bob
I don't know about TX law, but in NC there is big difference between driving while impaired and having an open container. It certainly is not a sledgehammer approach but a simple infraction.

Later,
Dan
Old 08-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #35
Guru

Problem is, when you`ve "had a few" you are in a lousy position to judge your own capabilities. Emergencies can "emerge", anytime, you can be at anchor for the night when it happens. So a hard and fast limit is a good choice, someone has to be ready at all times to operate the boat. If you figure the authorities have it right at "under .05%", that is a guide, but remember, on our roads, the max. PCA (prescribed concentration of alcohol) for newer/inexperienced (Provisional) license holders is lower or zero. And IMO, there is more to operating a boat than a car.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #36

Designated Drinkers are allowed aboard my boat.

Other times I am a Designated Drinker on their boats.

The dock is where we can let loose and still be sure that everyone makes it back on board safely. Really not many places where everyone can walk "home" after drinking together.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #37
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
It's a joke.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #38
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I don't imbibe. If anybody on TF needs an example of how alcohol affects human judgement, I suggest a visit to OTDE. As well as don't drink and drive how about don't drink and post?
That's because you are an atheist. (sorry an in joke for those that don't frequent OTDE.)

FWIW, for me it's not about zero tolerance, it's about common sense.

A few posters here seem to associate 'drinking' with getting smashed. I see nothing wrong with having a cold beer or glass of wine trundling along at eight knots on a mostly empty waterway, and I don't buy the argument that one beer will seduce me into finishing a six pack.

A slight deviation here, over many trips to the US over the years I am somewhat bemused as to the polarisation of attitudes toward drinking alcohol that I come across. I do wonder if that is a hangover(pardon the pun) of the prohibition era of the early part of last century.

As an example I don't understand that as a country you can think an 18 year old is old enough to carry a gun and go to war, yet not old enough to sit down in a pub and order a beer.Perhaps it should be the other way round.(that last bit might get me banished to OTDE )
Old 08-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #39
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
30years ago I witnessed a drunk leave the beach in his gofast . He circled back around to "make a exit" well he ended up hitting a boat wake , lost it and went airborne right over the boat that was beside him on the beach. He decapitated the woman. I haven't touched a drink on my boat ever since.
Unless it's docked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Old 08-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #40
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. AG. atheist: definition of atheist in Oxford dictionary (British & World English) Nope, never said that at all. You must have me mixed up with those other sinners.... Now back to our regular programming.