Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #321
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
I went out yesterday with a sailboater, 38 ft. about 3 hours. Went into the Atlantic, 90+ degrees. We each consumed 3beers each. At no time did I feel he was impaired.. I know I was not. The reflex time concerned me though at the blazing speed, under sail at 4 knots....get a grip people... BTW, he docked his boat w/o a hitch in a crowded small slip. The temperance women with axes of pre prohibition I thought went away..... I was wrong...

Old 08-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #322
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I draw the line where the law does at .08. I personally think it should be .05, but I accept whatever the law is for the given area.
My wife and I were driving along a country road and it became clear the car in front of us was a drunken driver or somehow impaired. She called highway patrol and they got the road closed from the other direction before the car coming up behind him got to him..... he was at .28.
In NSW, Australia it is .05, on the road or a boat. Around .3 you can be in real trouble, driving or not, unless an "experienced" regular/constant drinker.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #323
Scraping Paint

City: -
It has been my observation over many years that people who most vehemently defend unintelligent behavior are, for the most part, trying to rationalize their own inability to differentiate between intelligent and unintelligent behavior.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #324
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
But if you endanger someone else's ability to live their life the way they want, then we've got a problem.
Are you okay with an impaired boater slamming into your boat as has happened to some of the posters on this thread? Are you okay with an impaired driver swerving across the median and hitting you or your family going the other way and killing or injuring some or most of them?
That IMO, nails it. In this situation, personal freedom reaches its limit when it adversely affects others. If you won`t or can`t apply that limit, someone or something else has to, in this case the law, as best it can. If citizens can assist by alerting authorities, they should, to help avert real and present potential danger to fellow man.
If that has not got through by now to those opposed to restrictions on drinking and boating, it will never get through.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #325
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
It has been my observation over many years that people who most vehemently defend unintelligent behavior are, for the most part, trying to rationalize their own inability to differentiate between intelligent and unintelligent behavior.
And who gets to define what "intelligent" means?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 08-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #326
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
The people who don't have to defend not knowing.

Seems to me that this thread has gone from the rational (Ron's original post) to the silly (this post). Perhaps it's time for the moderators to step in and put a bullet in its head....
Old 08-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #327
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
So all you zero tolerance types think Richard on Dauntless is a lousy, irresponsible boater, failing Marin's standards of credibility for seamanship?
Are you referring to the fact he has wine on board and it sounds like he is having a drink from time to time?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #328
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I draw the line where the law does at .08. I personally think it should be .05, but I accept whatever the law is for the given area.

Who else feels it's ok then to also have one or three beers, and drive in broad daylight at 7 mph??
Old 08-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #329

City: Benicia CA
Quote:
You do. Go for it.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:23 AM   #330
Guru

We seem to have diverted from, BUI or not, to defining "intelligent". Anyone interested has contributed more than once, differing ideas are well established, and it is getting snarkey. Time Gentlemen, Time.

Closed Thread