Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #261
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Hey Mods,

I think everything has been covered here. How about putting us out of our misery before guns and anchors get in the mix. This is going nowhere at this point, it seems just about everyone has posted their points (several times) and no minds have been changed.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #262
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Soooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
"King of the world" on TF was established long before you joined. That should be a valid excuse to give you break.
I should use the TF search option.......got it.....

Old 08-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #263
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
............. Yup I will have a beer or two on the boat. So what
So what?? You are impaired and endangering me and my loved ones. You should be able to figure that out.

And it's a shame if you can't wait until you're back at the dock to drink a beer.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #264
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Gentlemen,( and Ladies) if this high minded moral exactness on the irresponsibility of the use of alcohol and it's resultant danger to others extended to gun rights use & abuse, I would be a little more impressed.

Or is that excused under the second amendment?

Yes, I know guns have nothing to do with alcohol and this is a blatant hijack(sorry mods) but I do find it difficult to read the pontification some have posted here while reading their glory threads over the years of their latest pieces of lethal weaponry.

To borrow a phrase, alcohol doesn't kill, people do.

(well this should win me some friends)
I think humans are complex creatures and within that framework may have what appear to be quite conflicting views on different subjects. I would say my views on guns are consistent with mine on alcohol but I don't want to get into that subject on this thread.

But most of us don't fit into some label or small box with our views. That doesn't make it wrong. I would say my wife and I would astonish people who have known us in our professional life sometimes if they knew the rest of the story. And we're proud to defy any labels. We look at each subject and formulate our beliefs individually based on that topic.

It can be ironic to observe sometimes though. Let's see, the parents who get drunk and party all of every weekend but then flip out when they find their son smoked weed and say "We didn't teach you to do stuff like that." How abuse of alcohol is more accepted than abuse of other drugs. Now is abuse of marijuana going to follow and be more acceptable than say Ecstasy? And look at the dead kids who tried the legal synthetics.

Am I a bleeding heart liberal or a Libertarian? A social liberal and a fiscal conservative? A conservative adventurer? Sometimes I think my wife and I are oxymorons. Other times perhaps just morons, but we do enjoy life.

How has life become so complicated. Should be simple. Learn the difference between right and wrong and do right. Love thy neighbor. Do no harm to others. But it's not simple and neither are humans. Complex confusing are we.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #265
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
Hey Mods,

I think everything has been covered here. How about putting us out of our misery before guns and anchors get in the mix. This is going nowhere at this point, it seems just about everyone has posted their points (several times) and no minds have been changed.
]
And it's your place now to decide it should or shouldn't continue?

Actually I think it's been a great thread discussing a very important subject. It also has allowed us to hear opposing views. Has it made anyone rethink their position or actions? I don't know. The majority has been amazingly civil even in the expression of strong views.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #266
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
They're called Shovel Lobster. So now you can ask for them by name.
They are sometimes called slippers in the Bahamas.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Old 08-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #267

City: Gainesville, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
They are sometimes called slippers in the Bahamas.
Yep, slippers. Mmmmm. Sweeter than spiny lobster - but the shells are sure hard to cut (if you're butterflying them.) I always buy them over at the Fish House at the very east end of Marsh Harbour. Generally about $120 for a 10 lb. box (20 slipper tails.)
Old 08-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #268
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
Yep, slippers. Mmmmm. Sweeter than spiny lobster - but the shells are sure hard to cut (if you're butterflying them.) I always buy them over at the Fish House at the very east end of Marsh Harbour. Generally about $120 for a 10 lb. box (20 slipper tails.)
Just around the corner from Marsh Harbor Marina. Just a dinghy ride away. It's also a pretty reasonable place to buy groceries in quantity. They usually have slippers in the freezer.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Old 08-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #269

City: Gainesville, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstruck View Post
just around the corner from marsh harbor marina. Just a dinghy ride away. It's also a pretty reasonable place to buy groceries in quantity. They usually have slippers in the freezer.

Exactly.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #270
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
For those who are defending alcohol consumption while on the boat...here's a little test for you:

Don't even have a sip of booze for two months.

Did that send a shiver of doubt laden apprehension through you? Did it make you scoff at the idea and find yourself calling me a flaming idiot for even suggesting such a thing? If it did, maybe you aren't as "in control" as you thought you were.

Two months.

How hard could it be?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #271
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And it's your place now to decide it should or shouldn't continue?

Actually I think it's been a great thread discussing a very important subject. It also has allowed us to hear opposing views. Has it made anyone rethink their position or actions? I don't know. The majority has been amazingly civil even in the expression of strong views.

No, it's the moderators place, I only posted my opinion (note the words "I think").

Just like you.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #272
Guru

Quote:
No, it's the moderators place, I only posted my opinion (note the words "I think").

Just like you.
If I have opinions to post to the moderators I do that in private. There is a cute little "report post" button that allows you to send them a message. Just a suggestion in case you weren't aware.

Oh and one easy way to escape the misery of a thread you're no longer enjoying....stop reading it...lol
Old 08-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #273
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
Do I drink and drive an automobile , No, as a commercial driver there be way too much to risk financial risk. A couple of beer with lunch has not a lot of effect, its a matter that the non drinkers want me to loose any of my personal rites. It is assumed I am one hundred percent at fault if I have a .05 level of a so called impairment resulting in no insurance. Surrendering any sort of justice for me and by passing in many many cases the true cause of the accident. Great for the stats !
I have well over a million miles under my belt and with my own eyes I can tell you boys that drinking is a small part of the over all picture of the carnage on the streets and in no way close to the picture presented by the media justice system etc.
Its your rites and freedoms under attack and I don't mean that drunks have the rite to kill or injure! But get real. Booze has been part of our culture for century's and probation will not and never has worked. Yet I still have to deal with folk that honestly should not have a licence. But cause I am a pro again its me that gets the test, how is that working I mean my god we have an elected official in Canada's largest city that loves crack so it seems but no test for him. Give me a break for a beer or two at the f'n beach instead of a can or two of pop. I like beer not a real fan of pop.

MADD has taken law enforcement away from serving and protecting to a new level of safety checks and reduce personal rites. Yet just take a drive around any day through a school zone or see how every one seems to think 10 K to 20 over the speed limit is acceptable , yet where is the no tolerance there. And ya I can go on and on. I get fingered for doing the speed limit by little old ladies,

Things have changed we used to drink and drive I grew up with pop and his bud having a beer behind the wheel. They where cops ! They never hurt any one and luck had nothing to do with that.

I have not been behind the wheel with so much as a beer in my gut since 1986.

Couple of beers on the boat is not , for most of us a challenge that endangers others. Fact.

Slippery slope leading to the loss of personal freedoms yet again. Follow the cash. How is it drunk driving stats always include the 5 or 10 time offender with no license , no insurance, and no long term help, fact !

The horse has left the stable , move on and start dealing with some other issues that our society's are dealing with.

There that should get this to OTDE

Yup I will have a beer or two on the boat. So what
Your "hand writing" makes it seem you may have had a couple totties today/eve. LOL - - > That about sum it up?!?

This thread is not at all about drinking or not drinking. It is about operating equipment while drinking or still under influence/effects from drinking. This thread's main premise is to save lives by acting responsibly... That and nothing more...

Nobody gives a sweet crap if someone else likes to drink alcohol while not operating equipment. Drinking when/while operating anything makes a whole different story!

No one should ever drink and drive - anything!! - PERIOD
Old 08-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #274
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
This is going nowhere at this point, it seems just about everyone has posted their points (several times) and no minds have been changed.
I too doubt if any one of us has experienced an epiphany. One thing that my dad used to say comes to mind:

A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still. Edmond Marois.

Another aphorism that strikes me as apropos is:
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #275
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Hey Mods,

Since I was the one who started the thread, it would seem that if anyone should ask for it to be closed, that should be me and I am not going to request it at this point.

If you've been on forums for any length of time you should know by now that nobody ever changes his or her mind, at least publicly. What does happen is that people are given something to ponder and may eventually come around to the other point of view. I've seen it happen over time.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #276

It is worth keeping up with this thread just to see Janice's aphorisms.

Can we all drink to that................responsibly?
Old 08-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #277
Guru

Someone mentioned epiphany. Others say no one ever changes their mind. I don't think epiphany's are anticipated but if a thread causes one or more people just to think a bit about things, if it generates conversation on an important subject, then it's done a lot and more than threads on most topics. I've heard views on both sides that I don't necessarily agree with, I've expressed my views, but I have learned a lot about the thoughts of TF members on the subjects.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:09 PM   #278
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Most bont doat when dey hve toooo much alkeyhol!! Hiccupp, Hiccupp - LOL

Only Problem - - > Few know when too much has been reached. Soooo... only truly safe way to boat is to not have any at all. Now, is that simply toooo simple for some to understand???
Old 08-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #279
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I can't believe this has continued. It's like a friend of mine that keeps telling me the same stories every time I see him. He'll say did I tell you about bla bla, I say yes you told me that story. He just tells it again like I never said a word.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #280
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
I can't believe this has continued. It's like a friend of mine that keeps telling me the same stories every time I see him. He'll say did I tell you about bla bla, I say yes you told me that story. He just tells it again like I never said a word.
Maybe he figures you're a slow learner...lol

Next time, before he starts, you tell him the story just as he has you.

Closed Thread