Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-planing View Post
Which squadron?
HU-2 out of Lakehurst, New Jersey.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
HU-2 out of Lakehurst, New Jersey.
A fellow Fleet Angel...early 70's. Two long cruise deployments on USS America...Med and Gulf of Tonkin, short cruises on Forrestal, Intrepid and Saratoga. There's an HU-2/HC-2/HC-7 mailing list, by the way.

go-planing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #43
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
($54 bucks in 61? You were living large! I thought I was rich getting $205 with free room and board in 72)

Seem to remember the twice monthly payday of about $75 back in 68
LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Michigan City, Ind
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWW View Post
($54 bucks in 61? You were living large! I thought I was rich getting $205 with free room and board in 72)

Seem to remember the twice monthly payday of about $75 back in 68
$150 a month in 68? You musta been E-4 over 4 or better. As an E-3 under 2 I thought I was getting $96 bucks a month and about $15 tax free and $65 a month combat pay doubled my income and sent $150 a month home to help out the rest of the family. By the end of 68 I'd made E-4 and field promoted to E-5 and doubled it again! Had to obligate for another year to get E-5 and selected P.I. for Super High Intensity Training, which incidentally, was the acronym name of that river in Olongapo....
Wanderin Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:10 PM   #45

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Lady A
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Hey Sailor......buy me drink?

Well, I was wondering how long this thread would go before some one mentioned Olongopo. Subic Bay was our homeport away from stateside. USS Taluga AO-62, four westpac cruises on board that old WW2 tanker, as an MM2. 67-71.
No air cond. in berthing space , port and stbd watch rotations, bilge rats berthed directly above boiler room and engine room. Oh, what a life.
Unrepping day and night, manning the cargo deck for cargo and personnel transfers, when not on watch. Oh joy!
The best part was when our tanks were empty and the cargo deck bare, we would head for Subic to replenish, which would give us 48-72 hrs in port, before the cycle would begin again.
Now I'm gonna have to dig out some of the pics I took of the USS Enterprise along side taking everything we had that was fuel ( black, diesel, avgas).
Or when the USS New Jersey rolled up from behind, gives me gooseys.

Bill
Tuttouomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #46

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Lady A
Vessel Model: Defever 44
P.S.
Ice cold San Miguel and monkey meat on a stick. ( I really think it was dog).
Oops, is that not PC?
Tuttouomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #47
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Station Dito 76-78, hard not to get in trouble back then.
" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #48

City: Washington, NC
Vessel Name: Hidden Costs II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Top speed of the Enterprise was 33.8 knots. Limited by shaft torque. I stood Throttleman watch many a night shift in the mid 90's. The 60 mph was a myth. I was able to remove the brass plate on the throttles to polish and found where the whole watch team in the 80's had signed when she ran aground in California. I was on it stationed in Norfolk. Many a story to be told by sailors! We were a wild bunch of kids! The #1 engine room was the furthest forward and at full power the shaft would twist 1.5 times from front to back at those speeds. Shame she couldn't have been turned into a museum. We spend fortunes on useless endeavors everywhere in the world but here at home...
fastinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #49
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
We operated with the New Jersey, Marines loved gun fire support from the BB, a salvo of six 16" projectiles would make targeted vc bunker complex turn into a huge hole in the ground. CG-32 had the missiles and range to protect the BB from mig suicide missions which intelligence had predicted. We also had fun with the migs on PIRAZ station, they did not like us maintaining station 40 miles off Hanoi.
2/67-9/67 F.B. Royal DD872
12/68 -7/69 W.H. Standley CG 32
1/71-7/71 " "
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00127.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	46715  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:52 PM   #50
Guru

Ships mugs

Couple of mine that I could get to fairly quickly. CVN-69 USS Dwight D. Eisenhower was with VAQ-138 med cruise. A lot of stuff going on during this time78-79 didn't get into port much. Got my first dear John on this one.
LHA-5 USS Peleliu, ships company actually visited the Island of Peleliu and delivered a monument to place from WW2 great time.
I was ships company on the CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln and we evacuated the P.I. In 91, From both Clark and Subic when Mt. Pinitubau erupted, what a mess!
Makes me enjoy the cocktails on the stern of my own that much better.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:54 PM   #51
Guru

Opps forget to add these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image[1].jpg
Views:	42
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	46720  
Old 11-21-2015, 06:55 AM   #52
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
We operated with the New Jersey, Marines loved gun fire support from the BB, a salvo of six 16" projectiles would make targeted vc bunker complex turn into a huge hole in the ground. CG-32 had the missiles and range to protect the BB from mig suicide missions which intelligence had predicted. We also had fun with the migs on PIRAZ station, they did not like us maintaining station 40 miles off Hanoi.
2/67-9/67 F.B. Royal DD872
12/68 -7/69 W.H. Standley CG 32
1/71-7/71 " "
Bill
heard the same about the New Jersey from a good friend who was a FAC for her sometimes.....want a hilltop gone? Call the Jersey
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #53
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
Originally Posted by LWW View Post

(Seem to remember the twice monthly payday of about $75 back in 68)

Old age is hell. That could have be monthly. Started as E1 in June 68 ended June 72 E5. 2 1/2 years on USS Sylvania AFS 2 as a Storekeeper. Lots of manual labor and Med time.

PS I've until last year been able to keep an eye on my ship in the ghost fleet on the James River but sadly it's gone now.
LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #54
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
LHA-5 USS Peleliu, ships company actually visited the Island of Peleliu and delivered a monument to place from WW2 great time.
I and my video crew spent a week out on the Peleliu. It was a training run for the ship's crew in preparation for an upcomng long deployment; there were no aircraft or assault vehicles on board. We just steamed up and down the southern California coast for a week.

When we'd be off Pendleton the Marines would come out in LCACs and practice boarding and departing the ship's ramp. We had the run of the ship and it was impressive going down below and shooting the LCAC operations. We'd never seen one before.

We were there to shoot footage and background plates of Harriers comng in evey afternoon from a base in Arizona (I think) to practice landings and takeoffs.

The rest of the time we had nothing to do so we hung out on the bridge a lot. In contrast to the Constellation we'd filmed on some years earlier at least half the crew and officers on the bridge were women.

The ship's commander told us that the LHAs weren't the biggest or longest ships in the Navy but they were the tallest.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote