Downloading movies to watch on board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have literally hundreds and hundreds of movies on DVD (paid for) and since the newer computers are coming out w/o DVD drives, I'd love to get them on a hard drive, so I can watch them.
Anybody have any idea of how I can do so at anything but 1 to 1 speed and some have copyright protection on them as well? I've owned them for years and I don't think it fair I can't transfer formats. It's not like I'm selling them, or even giving them away. They are for my use only. Well, maybe my wife too.

A terabyte portable hard drive can hold a lot of movies. Hopefully you already have a VPN service. Decent free malware program, torrent app and the Pirate Bay can get you any movie you want. Just remember that the larger the screen you will be watching on the larger the file you will want to download. On my old laptop 720p was fine. Now with an HD screen I get at least 1080.

using iTunes. to download the movies to a RUGGED USB drive....Have 4 4GB drives filled with TV series and movies.
The old DVD ( several hundred) I ripped with software to the drives)
New episodes..a weekly run to Starbucks or a McDonalds, or any place that offers free wifi, and all shows/movies are on the drives

We have been happy with Netflix and Apple TV. Very easy if you have wifi access. Also easy if you download from Netflix to your apple device then use your Apple TV. We will also hotspot from our iphone to apple tv which will access many channels and networks. We also use our iPad to watch movies.

Take a look at Playon.tv and their cloud DVR service.

You can record shows or movies, on accounts that you already have (like Netflix) or networks from cable or cord-cutting services.

You can then timeshift them and watch later (again from the cloud), or download the file to your computer, hard disk, stick, etc, and keep it indefinitely.

I have used this to load items into my Plex library, and the naming protocols support all the metadata being applied.

Ben

Take a look at Playon.tv and their cloud DVR service.

You can record shows or movies, on accounts that you already have (like Netflix) or networks from cable or cord-cutting services.

You can then timeshift them and watch later (again from the cloud), or download the file to your computer, hard disk, stick, etc, and keep it indefinitely.

I have used this to load items into my Plex library, and the naming protocols support all the metadata being applied.

Ben

Sounds great for home, but on a boat with limited internet? One of my requirements is that the whole library needs to work with no internet. To me, cloud and boat don’t go together.

Sounds great for home, but on a boat with limited internet? One of my requirements is that the whole library needs to work with no internet. To me, cloud and boat don’t go together.
Depends on boat usage, people mostly staying at the dock overnight v.s. people mostly staying at the hook and off-grid. I tend to be like you said and do not rely on any internet as mostly spend my time away from dock but know a lot who spend their night at the dock.

L

Depends on boat usage, people mostly staying at the dock overnight v.s. people mostly staying at the hook and off-grid. I tend to be like you said and do not rely on any internet as mostly spend my time away from dock but know a lot who spend their night at the dock.

L

Agreed. That’s why I said me and my needs. Others can and will be different.

Recognize that the original poster stated "I would like to download movies at home, to watch aboard on the Smart Tv I have. I have an Amazon Prime account. "

PlayOn would enable him to download every movie or show available on Amazon Prime (at charge of 20cents per recording), which he can then download to a storage device to be accessed aboard with no internet.

I once received a "strike" from Comcast for downloading pirated content for downloading a game I happened to own.

I received that threatening letter myself, after a guest stayed at my house and did some illegal downloading. He was a bit embarrassed when I told him about the letter.

Recognize that the original poster stated "I would like to download movies at home, to watch aboard on the Smart Tv I have. I have an Amazon Prime account. "

PlayOn would enable him to download every movie or show available on Amazon Prime (at charge of 20cents per recording), which he can then download to a storage device to be accessed aboard with no internet.

This looks promising. I looked at their website, and I am still fuzzy on a few things:

It appears I need to download the movies at home to a PC, and then bring it to the boat?

As far as a memory stick being mentioned, this will replace the need for the PC?

If yes, what type of memory stick are we talking about? I would think it has to be some of storage device with an HDMI output to the TV?

I received that threatening letter myself, after a guest stayed at my house and did some illegal downloading. He was a bit embarrassed when I told him about the letter.

At least he had the grace to be embarrassed about it. A lot of people would not.

This looks promising. I looked at their website, and I am still fuzzy on a few things:

It appears I need to download the movies at home to a PC, and then bring it to the boat?

As far as a memory stick being mentioned, this will replace the need for the PC?

If yes, what type of memory stick are we talking about? I would think it has to be some of storage device with an HDMI output to the TV?

Doesn't your TV accept a USB drive to view photos and movies? I thought all TV's do that today.

Whattayagot? An old B&W tube TV in that boat? :hide:

Before a cruise I go to Wal-Mart to their big boxes where they dump movies for $3.34- $4.99 and buy about 20 or 30. Play them off the Blu Ray. No muss, no fuss.

Us, too! :D

We scored Captain Ron for $4.99!

When you download the file from PlayOn Cloud, you can save it where ever you want. We happen to put ours on a network drive that then serves all our content through a Plex server. You could just as easily put it on a memory stick or a small portable hard drive. Those in turn could play on a TV, if configured with a USB port, or through another media box (eg., Roku etc)

Question regarding Amazon:

I can download movies to my IPad, using the Prime Video App.

I am unable to download movies to my Mac Book, and don’t see an available Prime Vid App when I search.

Are others able to download free movies with their Prime Account to their Mac Book hard drives to stream/cast to their TV while aboard?

Question regarding Amazon:

I can download movies to my IPad, using the Prime Video App.

I am unable to download movies to my Mac Book, and don’t see an available Prime Vid App when I search.

Are others able to download free movies with their Prime Account to their Mac Book hard drives to stream/cast to their TV while aboard?
No. They only allow downloads to phone and iPads.

Doesn't your TV accept a USB drive to view photos and movies? I thought all TV's do that today.

Whattayagot? An old B&W tube TV in that boat? :hide:

TVs usually only play avi and mp4
That leaves about 99% of our media collection unplayable, but like I said in an earlier post any one of the hundreds of different $50 kodi media box's available online will sort that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom