down an engine in naples,fl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sean2112

Good Afternoon ,

Checking to see if any of you fine sailors can steer me in the right direction . Lost port engine at Naples,FL . I have decided she's not going to make it to Biloxi, MS under her own power . I'm looking for a boat yard
that I can limp to . Charlotte harbor has been a wash out . I'm now looking around St. Petersburg . I'm attempting to put her on stands then arrange
boat hauler service. The major problem I'm running into is she's 42' many boat yard I have talked with stop at 35' any help is much appreciated .

Thanks ,
Sean2112

Any info on the nature of your problem? Depending on what's wrong, it may make more sense to fix the issue and continue vs bailing out and having it trucked.

Yep, tell us what kind of engine and what went wrong with it. Might be able to help.

Engine

Unfortunately the gauges on both engines were reading 130 temp stepped out and saw smoke form port shut down immediately. Two hours later would not start. I didn’t have a way to confirm but I believe it to be seized. Twin diesel 6.354 Perkins.

Did you try Charlotte Harbor Boat Storage in South Gulf Cove. They handle 45+feet.

Get a mechanic down there to do an assessment. Could be as simple as a hung up starter that can make a lot of smoke.

First, go down there yourself and see if it shows any burned paint on manifolds, see if there is coolant sprayed all over, look at starter and see if it is charred. Look for anything different from the good engine. If cool enough, check coolant level and oil level.

Gears can also burn up and make smoke.

I agree with everything said here. I have a hard time believing that you cannot get the engine repaired for less than what it is going to cost to you to truck home- all in. Hell, I bet you could get it replaced for less than getting trucked. 4-6k to get it home? What does a rebuild cost? It would seem that Florida is the perfect place to approach this project. Just get out of Naples or they will see you coming. Good luck. I am very interested to hear about how this all goes. Also, i'm sorry you are having to deal with this at all. Bill

Thank Ya'll ,
Great ideas and information !! Will keep you informed as things progress .
Going to have boat blessed . I'll take any, and all help I can get
Once again ,Thank You for taking time to help !
sean2112

Good luck. What kind of boat? We are in Jackson, but our 42' boat is in Columbus Marina on the TennTom. We lost a tranny on the TN River, but continued on one engine about 25 miles with no problems to Decatur for a good mechanic. We have Lehman 135's.

Last edited:
Have the boat lifted and the prop on the bad engine removed. A single engine will take you home just fine. There are thousands of single engine 42 footers out there. If you have a bow thruster or any real boating experience you may not even notice any difference being a single engine. You may end up not even putting the other prop back on (LOL).

I also agree that it may sound worse than it really is.

Good Luck

pete

Single engine

Hey guys ,

I’m a gambling man . However I can smell a looser. Lol. The starboard engine, is not really up to par. I had my hopes on the port engine . lol Anyway , I would really like to float her up to Biloxi . In my heart I know she’ll not make the trip. It’s just not worth the risk. Once on the hard in Biloxi, I’ll rebuild both engines. Replace bilge pumps , replace depth finder etc, etc Thanks to all
Sean2112.

I'd make sure I had towing insurance, and just limp on back on one engine. Except for crossing the big bend (and you can day trip that if you go from Clearwater, to Cedar Key, to Steinhatchie, to Carrabelle), it's all ditches, bays and sounds on the ICW.

Going to give it a try

Good afternoon,
After encouragement , I’m gonna to give it a try . Worse case scenario it get hauled back on truck if all goes south. Hopefully, all will go well. Just going to take my time .
And roll with punch’s . I feel pretty confident that I will be touching base as this progresses

Thanks, To all
Sean2112

As David advised, Snead Island Boatworks is the best up here in Tampa Bay.

Just in case you change your mind as you travel further north:

Indian Springs Marina, (727-595-2956, ICW Marker 31, land address - 113th Ave North, Largo, FL ) has a travelift large enough for your boat. I don't know if they have an on-site diesel mechanic, but they are very helpful, nice folks and will make sure you get the help you need.

The only travelift north of Largo that I know of is at Marker 1 marina, (727-733-9324, 343 Causeway Boulevard - Dunedin, FL), but I don't know if it is large enough for your vessel. Have no info on their staff.

North of Dunedin: One of our TF members, "Martin J" is doing a refit of his boat in Tarpon Springs and I would hazard a guess that Marty may know the Tarpon Springs boat yards. Marty is VERY knowledgeable.

Best of luck,
Mrs. Trombley

Last edited:
Salt Creek Boatyard in St Pete hauled my 42' trawler a few times, for me and the two prior owners. It didn't seem to stress them.

Pitman's in Tarpon Springs hauled it most recently. It didn't seem to stress them, either.

A nearby fishing charter captain mentioned that Marpro, also in Tarpon Springs, could do the haul-out for me, which I did call and confirm. They didn't seem concerned -- but Pitman's was able to squeeze me in before the holiday and they could not.

Have you been able to look at the engine/engineroom, yet?

I'd really, really, really recommend taking a look before continuing on.
You've got to know the state of the boat to know that it is seaworthy for its intended purpose, e.g. the trip home under whatever constraints (time of day, weather, seas) you plan to operate.

You may need to clean things up before you can continue. Or the problems might be worse than expected. Or, there may be something you can fix more easily than expected. You might be able to get parts sent to a marina to meet you or by Uber at a local autoparts store, etc.

I don't really understand what happened from your description.

For example, how did the engine sound and feel before shutting down? Was it smooth in vibration and report? Or was it surging, shuddering, tapping, vibrating, etc?

Where did you see the smoke? Out of the exhaust? Or coming up from the engine room in the cabin? Or out an engine room air vent?

What did the some smell like?

What did it sound like when you tried to restart? All quiet? Ticking? Trying but not going? (I'd have looked to see what was going on before trying...)

What does the engine room look like now? Fluids on things? What type? Is the bilge filled with oil or fuel or coolant that needs to be managed so it doesn't get pumped out by the bilge pump? How does it smell?

What does the engine look like now? Does it look normal externally? Or are parts of it blackened? Are there any fluids on it? What about the alternator? The starter? The fuel hoses? How does the belt look? Is it wholly in place? How do the fluids look? Normal color? Normal level? Anything low?

How are the batteries? Is there acid? Are the vent caps on? Is water level normal? Is the voltage normal.

Can you turn the engine over now with a ratchet/wrench/bar? If not, can you do it if you disconnect the starter?

I don't really understand the state of things. I'd never suggest anyone continue on a trip with a boat that isn't seaworthy. Too much can go wrong. In a twin engine, I wouldn't have left unless I had confidence in both. Losing the "good" one is a bit concerning to me. Having said that, if it was a freak event, and it can't be addressed in a reasonable time locally, and everything else is good, limiting risk by travelling with good weather and good seas and daylight, etc, may be reasonable.

But, for myself, I'm concerned that we haven't gone back to the basic question w.r.t. whether or not the boat can safely make the trip. Part of answering that question, I think, would be figuring out what happened and cleaning up.

Once one knows the current state of the boat, one can ask if there is a set of operating conditions, for which it is seaworthy, which can get it home under its own power?

And, one can also ask, what is wrong, what is likely needed to fix it, and if that can reasonably be done at or near the current location or somewhere along the way to which the boat can make safe passage or be towed?

In my world view, only once one goes down and does a deep look, can one decide if the boat can safely be taken home as-is under some set of operational constraints; needs to be fixed somewhere to which it can make safe passage or be towed; neither; or both.

Pretty please do some investigation before getting underway. Folks here will be happy to help as able.

EDIT: Now that I think more about this...just for completeness...same questions apply to the transmission as engines. Additionally, depending upon the situation, what gear does the lever on the transmission, itself, show it to be in? And, also depending upon the situation, in neutral, can the shaft be rotated?

And, in general, is the electrical okay? Or is anything burned up in a way that could be a safety problem or functional problem? Ditto for anything else nearby.

Last edited:
Have you been able to look at the engine/engineroom, yet? <<<<SNIP>>>>>>Ditto for anything else nearby.

You mean actually get a feel for how the babies are doing and if there's anything you can do to help them, keep an eye on..... ? Get some tools out? Verify clean air, clean fuel, lubrication and cooling?

Or.....

"Afraid they've seized"

"Going to have boat blessed"......

We may be wasting our time here.....

You mean actually get a feel for how the babies are doing and if there's anything you can do to help them, keep an eye on..... ? Get some tools out? Verify clean air, clean fuel, lubrication and cooling?

Or.....

"Afraid they've seized"

"Going to have boat blessed"......

We may be wasting our time here.....
Inspecting a boat I observed to the broker that all the seacocks were frozen open. He replied most owners just go onboard, start engines, and go. He`s probably right, but an inspection before and during start up makes a lot of sense to me.

Inspecting a boat I observed to the broker that all the seacocks were frozen open.

I would not have left the dock until they were operable. Spent some quality time marinating them in my favorite penetrating oil.... I know where my seacocks are, they work and there's nothing near them heavy enough to slop around and damage them. A high water alarm JUST above the pumps and you MAY have a shot at finding the problem and shutting it off before it's above the floor boards because then it gets hard to find.

Knowing your systems, both design and state of maintenance, is part of being a prudent mariner.

Thanks for all input .
The engine is not seized just verified.
The water pump i has a small leak .
That must be the culprit. Shut her down in time. Waiting for new pump to come in .
I really needed some luck.
Once again, thank you all .
Sean2112

Wow, this situation has gone from a trashed engine to just a pump (r/w presumably) leaking a little bit. This really doesn't hang together with your earlier postings. I think you need to find a yard with a good mechanic to help you through this.

David

The modern diesel engine is not a mystery ... and as mechanical things go .... are generally bullet proof. Stop guessing. Call the engine manufacturers local dealer and get a recognized tech out to the boat to troubleshoot it. It is likely within a hour or two (and very few dollars relatively speaking) at the most, a good tech can tell you exactly what's happening and what it will cost to fix it. Then and only then can you make an informed decision as what to do.

It's not a matter of luck or divine intervention. It's pure science and engineering!

Hey Sean,

I'm strongly with those urging a call to a repudable mechanic. Even for the mechanically inclined, it takes a long while to learn a first boat, and a while for each boat thereafter.

I consider myself very mechanically inclined, but, I still keep a mechanic in speed dial (Justin @ DNA Marine, 727-934-6300) and had two on speed dial back in Cali (Chris @ S&W, 310-835-3155; Martin Ball, 310-508-9036).

Many things in a boat arent the same as even diesel truck, industrial, or farming engines. The cooling , exhaust, and transmission are all different, for example.
And, access ia very different. It is no trouble to drop an oil pan in a truck -- but try that in a boat. Ditto for smothering an exhaust to stop one.

On my first boat, it was really educational and confidence building to have Marty and Chris work on things with me around. As Marty rehabbed the two 6.354MGT mains, I did the 4.107 genset and controller.
When Marty was busy and I used Chris, he had a great ear for hearing valve timing being just a little off and I got to learn from him not just doing it by gauge, but checking it by ear.

Now I do most of my own mechanical work, but as an out of town owner, I balance my maintenance time, boating time, and budget. I try to plan to do a certain amount of work and boating myself, and hire someout for whatever is left.

Lately, the engine room has seen a lot of mechanic and less of me -- during the rare days with no rain in Florida, Ive painted the house and gunwhales and recoated the brightwork. Thats kept me out of the engine room. I am behind on fluid changes -- so Justin is doing those this week so next time I'm there, I can boat with guilt-free confidence.

When I first bought the boat it had a problem that would, by the book (workshop manual), take an efficient mechanic a full day, just for the disassembly and reassembly. Being less rehearsed, it could have taken me 2 days -- the loss total of what is, for me, a rare boating weekend. And, if I was slower, maybe two. Justin came out, told me it would be a full day, then realized a way to do it without all of the disassembly, and had it fixed in an hour. All in, including going over a tons of stuff with me and inspecting a ton of stuff, the total bill was something like $240. 2.5hrs of time.

At this late stage of the game, most mechanics are more rehearsed than me, but when it comes to 6.354s rarely have a better understanding. Justin showed me up big time (where others in Florida had disappointed). His deep understanding as an experienced generalist saw a better way. When he explained it, I was dumb-founded by the "obviousness" and simplicity. I thought I was hiring someone to turn a wrench in my stead, but, I lucked out to find an amazing tradesman and teacher.

He also showed man that attention to detail and patience can fix valve cover leaks without needing to use gasket sealer in addition to the cork gasket. He cleaned it all off and up and super carefully straightened subtle bends in the cover's lip edge. Then it mated perfectly without tightening down, so tightening it down to try to get a seal didnt itself cause slight bending. I really thought those just needed sealant, and I've seen many leaking even with it -- but I was wrong.

Back to your boat, I still dont see how a water pump causes smoke. And, I'm still concerned about the other uninspected parts of that engine. And, I'm concerned about its twin, which you described as less reliable. And, to be honest, I'm concerned the skipper/chief-engineer may still be in the on-ramp phase and beginning a long journey not yet prepared and unassisted.

Last edited:
I can`t reconcile smoke with a leaking raw water pump either. 130 degree temps on BOTH engines,Centigrade it`s way too high, Fahrenheit it`s too low.
Smoke from a major overheat? from exhaust or engine room? Disintegrating pump/alternator belt?
If the pump leaks it needs repair or replacement so start there by all means. But there is likely more to it, and it sounds like so far, mechanics and engines may not be your strong suit. Those engines are solid agricultural beasts, hard to break.

Your problem may be related to the R.W. pump, but I doubt it. I would really like to know more about the "smoke". What did it smell like and what did it look like?

Super heated steam and an engine belt disintegrating are two different animals and don't have much in common.

Yep, get a mechanic down there.

pete

+1 for getting a mechanic. Last year, I was faced with a similar dilemma about getting my boat from San Francisco to Mexico for a refit - she hadn't been run aggressively for years and I simply didn't have confidence in her to get the 500nms to Ensenada. Part of the decision was made for me - due to height of flybridge, trucking was too expensive. In the end I paid a mechanic roughly what I would have paid for standard trucking - all hoses and pumps replaced, heat exchangers flushed and checked, valves adjusted, etc.. With adequate sea trials to verify repairs, I steamed 75-hours south to Ensenada without a hitch.

Sounds like there are some really helpful people on this forum who can assist you to manage this remotely. Cheer-up - this will be in your rear view mirrors before too long.

Peter

Tampa bay boat yards st Petersburg

http://vikingboatworks.com/

You should call Viking Boatworks, Tampa Bay. They do lots of big boats. And have been in business for decades with the same owner.

Best of luck

Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two reputable yards in Ft Myers Beach just 25-30 miles north of Naples with bailout capabilities and decent mechanics should you like to pursue that option

Back
Top Bottom