Dorian aims for East Coast of Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SE NC report: Looks like we're ok here. Eye seems to be staying off the coast. Wind is up, but tolerable. Probably will get more wind before it subsides. Tide at this point is only a few feet above normal. We can handle that. Just need to see what the backside will do, that often bites me. Power still on, genny gets to sleep (so far).

Worst of this was an a$$ load of rain and scattered tornados. My girl has a co-worker that took a lot of tornado damage in Porters Neck, about 4m NE. We may go there in the morning to help out. Some flooding damage locally, nothing major.

I need an IPA!
Glad to hear you're mostly out of the woods. Won't be able to deliver IPAs till mid October.

Ted

After seeing the damage to my boat, I’m trying to figure out the logistics and process of getting it repaired.

First of all, since my solar panels were blown off, I’m wondering how long my batteries will last as it sits there in the yard. I didn’t leave any DC draw on, except for the bilge pumps. I have no idea when the yard will become operational again, so it could be sitting there awhile. I do have a small auxiliary solar panel inside the boat I can rig up to keep the batteries topped off.

Also, since the mast is broken, I’m wondering how I will remove the top broken section and rigging so I can eventually get the boat back to the states for repair. Can it just be hacksawed off if it is still connected partially, or do I need some other tool?

Of course I have no idea if the bottom is damaged until I see the boat, so I might have much more to deal with than just batteries and the mast and rigging.

The insurance company said in the last big storm it took a couple of months to get everything settled, so I guess I can’t do too much until the adjuster sees the boat.

Reports from Skinny Dippin' are all good! Our Marina posted video updates all night long!

Feeling very thankful this morning!

After seeing the damage to my boat, I’m trying to figure out the logistics and process of getting it repaired.

First of all, since my solar panels were blown off, I’m wondering how long my batteries will last as it sits there in the yard. I didn’t leave any DC draw on, except for the bilge pumps. I have no idea when the yard will become operational again, so it could be sitting there awhile. I do have a small auxiliary solar panel inside the boat I can rig up to keep the batteries topped off.

Also, since the mast is broken, I’m wondering how I will remove the top broken section and rigging so I can eventually get the boat back to the states for repair. Can it just be hacksawed off if it is still connected partially, or do I need some other tool?

Of course I have no idea if the bottom is damaged until I see the boat, so I might have much more to deal with than just batteries and the mast and rigging.

The insurance company said in the last big storm it took a couple of months to get everything settled, so I guess I can’t do too much until the adjuster sees the boat.

If at some point it's reasonable to get out there, I'd ask your insurance company if they have any issue with you going out to take pictures and do some potential damage mitigation (such as getting some new solar online, removing any loose damaged parts that could cause further damage).

Once you ascertain the damage you may find the insurance co will pay for the return of your boat to the states. Ask for everything.

Unfortunately, there is little you can do to speed up the process and, until you see the boat, you don't know if you want to do any attempts at mitigation or not. I'd be anxious too, at least to get there and take photos, but you have to wait for word there that it's possible to get there and then you can observe and take photos. Even then, you may be able to do nothing more.

I would personally take the stance that your boat is totaled until proven otherwise.

My insurance adjuster said they are waiting to see when they can get surveyors out to the Bahamas. Said it could be awhile. I have to keep reminding myself this is going to be a long process.

Last edited:
Let's not overlook the damage being done on the Outer Banks. Ocracoke has record water levels above flood stage and there is concern about people trapped on Ocracoke.

What’s the formula insurance companies use to total a boat? If the damages are a certain percentage of the insured amount?
What’s that percentage usually?

I'd expect it to be anywhere from 2/3 to the full value depending on the company and the situation. And sometimes the specific nature of the damage will play into it or the owner will prefer to have it fixed or not (and potentially influence their decision) when it's right on the line where they could go either way.

Totaled? What’s the formula insurance companies normally use to total a boat? If the damages are a certain percentage of the insured amount? What’s that percentage usually?

Typically when either the policy limits are reached
OR
When the insurance company determines they can replace with like kind and quality.

The decision all revolves around dollars. If the limit was $175K and the repairs and all related costs to put it back to pre-damaged condition exceed or approach the limit, the insured gets a check for $175,000 after the deductible is met if that applies. They get the vehicle/vessel.

Last edited:
Typically when either the policy limits are reached
OR
When the insurance company determines they can replace with like kind and quality.

The decision all revolves around dollars. If the limit was $175K and the repairs exceed $175,000, you get a check for $175,000 after the deductible is met if that applies. They get the vehicle/vessel.

I'm under the impression its about half the cost of the insured value. What say you, Insurance Gurus?.. Several insurance professionals on this forum can educate us in this scenario

Certainly not a guru about anything but I do know if they total your boat you may be able to buy it back from them at a negotiated price.

I'm under the impression its about half the cost of the insured value. What say you, Insurance Gurus?.. Several insurance professionals on this forum can educate us in this scenario

Autos are simple and many states even have percentages by regulation. Houses and boats get far more complex.

On boats, they have factors other than repair costs to consider. What is the salvage cost or salvage recovery if they don't repair? If they choose to repair, how do they do so? Where? How do they get the boat to a repair facility? How does that cost compare to salvaging it where it is? The difficulty to get the boat to a repair facility may play a role in the decision. Different insurers have different views on the subject, but in general it's a lot closer to 80% than it is to 50%. Also, policy specifics play into this. Are you insured at actual cash value or a fixed value? How does the insured value compare to market? What does the policy say about replacement vs. depreciated values for parts and equipment on partial losses? Other factors enter into the discussion such as how many boats does the insurer have in the location and what is the availability and interest of salvage companies. If an insurer has 20 boats at GTC, they're going to spend a lot more time looking for solutions than if they have one boat there.

Cardude, I don't know who your broker is or your relationship with them. Sometimes, if you have a good, long term relationship, the broker can give you insight into how the insurer typically works and what to expect. Some are more helpful than others.

Just got back from the boat after making final adjustments to the lines. Raining here, but nothing like what Hatteras, NC got. Wind forecast is tropical storm force only, probably below 45 knots. Big question mark comes around 8pm with the high spring tide. N and NE winds can push a lot of water down the bay to meet the incoming tide. Add to that the storm rain draining into the bay, and it can make for a flooding event. Wait and see.

Ted

Certainly not a guru about anything but I do know if they total your boat you may be able to buy it back from them at a negotiated price.

When I lost Possum, the insurance company did ask me if I wanted to buy her back. I didn’t need another project at that time so I said no.

CD, hang in there. There is good reason to be optimistic. The boat is upright and still on its blocking. And the upside down catamaran is not laying on top.

Ted best of luck, Dorian is now a Cat 1 so you may not even have to pick a leaf off Very Slow Hand. Stay safe.

Just got internet back here in SE NC. All good. Boat and docks are fine. We did not get hardly any surge last night at high tide, which is puzzling. Had more water at the 2pm high than the 2am high. Guess the eye stayed far enough out.

A lot you won’t know until you or a rigger can look at it. There is a decent chance that the sail may be just fine or require a little repair. The trick will be to remove the furled sail from the mast. You will want to remove the mast completely. Normally this is done in the yard with the assistance of a crane. That may not be possible very soon for you.

Is your mast keel stepped or deck stepped? If keel stepped, you will likely need a crane to lift it up and out. Once you do that, you can carefully straighten the mast to get the main out. Once you do that, remove any fittings that are salvageable and the mast becomes scrap. I would also scrap any of your shrouds as who knows how badly they were stressed (good opportunity to switch to rope rigging).

If the mast is deck stepped, then with some helpers you could carefully lower the mast by hand. It would take some careful planning but likely there will be plenty of scrap laying around to fabricate a cradle to lower the mast onto etc... just be careful. Again, lower it and then straight it to be able to remove the sail. Sails aren’t cheap and that one can be used again. A new mast and rigging is relatively simple to have installed.

Assuming the hull is still sound, once the mast is out you now just have a trawler that you can get back home.

I’m hoping that the only damage you have is the mast, some deck hardware, and the standing rigging.

It’s keel stepped. I now realize it’s probably beyond my ability even to rig it temporarily so I could get it back to to the rigger in Stuart that I used (Mack Sails). I sure don’t want all that rigging, loose sail and broken mast flopping around up there on a trip back across the gulfstream.

Not much I can do at this point I’m realizing, other than maybe get over there to look at the boat and maybe get some personal things out of the interior.

Not much I can do at this point I’m realizing, other than maybe get over there to look at the boat and maybe get some personal things out of the interior.

Getting her back to usable and home might be a while, but depending on what shape she's in beyond the broken mast it might still make sense to do a little storage prep of sorts to make sure that sitting for a while doesn't cause further issues. Of course, gotta coordinate with insurance and only do what's safe and practical.

It’s keel stepped. I now realize it’s probably beyond my ability even to rig it temporarily so I could get it back to to the rigger in Stuart that I used (Mack Sails). I sure don’t want all that rigging, loose sail and broken mast flopping around up there on a trip back across the gulfstream.

Yeah, if it is keel stepped then you will need a crane of some kind to lift the mast out of the boat. Even a tall fork lift will work. However, that may be hard to come by for a while until the marina is put back together. Other than that, removing the mast and rigging is easy but something you definitely want to do, or have done, before moving her.

Also, it will be quite a while before any type of equipment can even make it through that mess to your boat. Right now, mitigation is likely the best you can do. Secure anything that might flap around in a breeze, secure it against any water intrusion, and get your small solar panel hooked up. Even some tape over any screw/bolt holes from panel mounts that have been ripped out etc... would be helpful.

Last edited:
Is the infrastructure to move it to the water still intact?

Even if your boat can be made ready to sail, you may have to wait for a working lift to move it into the water.

Aftermath, the long wait

Having lived through two major hurricanes here with two very different types of boats (GB-42 and this Pilot) surviving the tempests, I am very sympathetic with Cardude and can't imagine how I would have reacted being as far away as he is from his boat. In both my personal experiences I was close by, but it was still several weeks after the storms before before I was able to move them from their anchorages, and in the second case several days before I could get a downed tree off the boat. With the utter devastation out there in the Bahamas, it is unlikely the yard workers will be interested or available to support untangling the mess at the yard. It could be months. It is unclear to me looking at his boat whether it is really on the stands or whether water level may have risen to the point the hull was lifted and pounded into the ground - total time. Another thing to consider is that after months of sitting there unattended, the interior will likely be entirely molded over and dangerous to enter without breathing protection. It seems optimistic beyond reason to expect that water intrusion did not occur.

If it were me, and I could by some miracle get her in the water, I'd tell the insurer I was taking desperate measures to avoid the above and fire up the generator and take an angle grinder to that mast and rigging and leave it all behind as I motored away to the USA. But if it's gonna sit there forever, then it will be a total if it isn't now.

Do you know whatever became of Possum?

A fellow bought her from the insurance company. I saw her hauled out at a yard on the Miami River. He had gotten the engine started and was working on the damaged wood. I dropped off some stuff I had at home that were for the boat.

Did it make you smile to see someone trying to bring the Possum back to life?

Just wrapped the car in preparation for the visit of our friend Dorian, it looks like a big sausage now lol.

20190906_182436.jpeg

Apparently I am right where it will touch ground in Nova Scotia!

L

Back
Top Bottom