Dorian aims for East Coast of Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From Windy on my iPhone just now:
View attachment 93129

While Windy may be helpful guidance for some offshore sailing, I haven’t seen any be accurate for predicting winds inside of Hurricanes or Tornados. If it’s forecasted to be blowing 150+ I know my boat isn’t big enough.

2 PM NHC says it turned 15 degrees -from 270 to 285. and called it WNW Its still going only 1mph. Not much but better that before. We can hang our hopes on it.:banghead:

I hate to call something this deadly and destructive beautiful but it really is beautiful.

Attachments

• BF1A55D4-BFBF-4995-8460-68065BBC91C8.jpg
    BF1A55D4-BFBF-4995-8460-68065BBC91C8.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 57
Bahamas Land and Sea have reported that three USCG helicopters are now in Marsh and two cutters are on their way to the "event area."

James J Paw Sharp

1 hr

** URGENT INFORMATION ** I just spoke personally with the U.S. Coast Guard Emergency Operations Command Center in Miami. They CONFIRMED three USCG helos are now in Marsh Harbor, 2 USCG Ships are in Route, and Various Bahamian Authorities Vessels are in route now to the event area. ANYONE SEEKING EMERGENCY MEDICAL OR RESCUE ASSISTANCE IN THE ABACO AREA ARE ASKED TO CALL 305-415-6800. PLEASE SHARE! #HEROES #ABACOSTRONG

Last edited:
Those who know the Abacos I was to,d today that Angie’s is all but gone. I’m sure what was left of Walkers is now destroyed. Think I half to find another place to enjoy the boat.

Posted on MTOA

Report from Joe Cammarotta on Man-O-War Cay:

"I just got a call back from Angel Cruz. Everyone is accounted for an okay. The damage is devastating and overwhelming. he said in his area only two houses have roofs on them and his and Neal weatherford's and his is also flooding because of a hole. There is not a boat left floating in the harbor of man o war. All of the Albury and g&l ferries have sunk. Every boat including the ones in Easter harbour have sunk or are gone. They need small generators, fuel, water, tarps, rope and duct tape.he said he will call me back in a few hours to provide an update as they walk around but it is pure devastation he said.

CarDude, I won't post the details here as it makes really bad reading, but GTC did not do well. It seems people are trapped in houses and the shelter at the primary school failed.

This all through messaging and second parties of course, but from what I am reading the Cay is in a bad way.

Posted on MTOA

Report from Joe Cammarotta on Man-O-War Cay:

"I just got a call back from Angel Cruz. Everyone is accounted for an okay. The damage is devastating and overwhelming. he said in his area only two houses have roofs on them and his and Neal weatherford's and his is also flooding because of a hole. There is not a boat left floating in the harbor of man o war. All of the Albury and g&l ferries have sunk. Every boat including the ones in Easter harbour have sunk or are gone. They need small generators, fuel, water, tarps, rope and duct tape.he said he will call me back in a few hours to provide an update as they walk around but it is pure devastation he said.

I am thinking about taking a trip over to the Abacos and bring what I can for supplies. I just don't know if it would be better to wait until they start rebuilding then go over and help for a week. After Irma we really couldn't do much until we got rid of the debris and had supplies for rebuild.

Bud

Bud, I think you would just be in the way at the moment. The wife and I had this discussion over lunch and we feel the only thing we can do right now is give financial help. We are just going to wait until the right vehicle comes up - as there are so many unofficial Go Fund Me springing up right now, plus boating groups looking to go and help. We also want to be a bit more targeted than the Red Cross.

This from the six o'clock update. If this is as bad as it gets for that part of the island then OBB may make it through OK.

A recent observation from Settlement Point, on the far western tip
of Grand Bahama Island indicated a sustained wind of 54 mph (87
km/h) with a gust to 66 mph (106 km/h).

Bud, I think you would just be in the way at the moment. The wife and I had this discussion over lunch and we feel the only thing we can do right now is give financial help. We are just going to wait until the right vehicle comes up - as there are so many unofficial Go Fund Me springing up right now, plus boating groups looking to go and help. We also want to be a bit more targeted than the Red Cross.

I think I will wait a week let them get somewhat stabalized. then reachout to see if I can help. If you get any more supply lists from the people your in touch with let us know. I would probably go to Man of War thats really the place we have been the most.

Bud

I am thinking about taking a trip over to the Abacos and bring what I can for supplies. I just don't know if it would be better to wait until they start rebuilding then go over and help for a week. After Irma we really couldn't do much until we got rid of the debris and had supplies for rebuild.

Bud

Make sure you take the receipts for the supplies. Customs may want to see them. Have a specific organization to which the supplies will go. The govt wants to prevent any black market activity.
I doubt even if I overloaded my 34 ft trawler with supplies, I don't think I would do much good.
Sad to say, too many "GoFundMe" pages are nothing but scams. None of the funds make it to the folks in trouble.
Red Cross..... that maybe the lesser of the evils. Alas, their administrative costs are high. I remember the incident when RC decided they would keep some donated money for future needs. In my mind, that sucked and confirmed my opinion based upon previous experiences.
If there is an active Salvation Army organization there, they would (in my mind) would be the best. Their administrative costs are very low, if at all.

My problem is taking enough fuel to return. It may be best to transfer funds to someone you know.

Shockingly Bethenny Frankel is providing information from Miami where a seaplane with former Navy Seals intends to go to the Bahamas tomorrow for rescue efforts. In addition they're loading containers on barges for supplies to be taken as soon as possible.

Now, her shocking words next. All that's been heard from Bahamian sources is 5 deaths, but she says from sources on the islands she's aware of over 50 deaths at this point. This is from calls from those who are there. I obviously can't verify any of it, but the organizations involved that she works with are legitimate and did do a lot in Puerto Rico.

The videos I've seen show new buildings standing and old buildings destroyed.

I hope we all will do what we can for the people there and that includes us as a country. They are our neighbors and friends. They contribute greatly to our lives.

The Miami effort is called BAHAMASTRONG. Here is a link. Many supplies to go were those accumulated for Miami and now not needed for Dorian.

https://www.miamigov.com/Government/BAHAMASTRONG

For anybody considering taking a boat into the disaster zone to help, bless you, but do consider that the bottom out there may be very different from what you may have experienced before. Not only will it be full of debris, the very hydrography of the place will be altered with sandbars in new places.

Make sure you take the receipts for the supplies. Customs may want to see them. Have a specific organization to which the supplies will go. The govt wants to prevent any black market activity.
I doubt even if I overloaded my 34 ft trawler with supplies, I don't think I would do much good.
Sad to say, too many "GoFundMe" pages are nothing but scams. None of the funds make it to the folks in trouble.
Red Cross..... that maybe the lesser of the evils. Alas, their administrative costs are high. I remember the incident when RC decided they would keep some donated money for future needs. In my mind, that sucked and confirmed my opinion based upon previous experiences.
If there is an active Salvation Army organization there, they would (in my mind) would be the best. Their administrative costs are very low, if at all.
\

I know I was worried about that. I think just another working body would help alot. I know after Irma down here in the keys it was a full couple of days for two of us to plug all the water leaks in the houses and yards on our street before we could have the water turned on permanetly. They would turn it on for a couple of hours each day and we go around and mark all the leaks and then fix them after. Mostly pvc water lines down here and the roots from down trees broke alot of them. We needed the water to clean the muck out of the house. We had a crab in the bedroom. The amount of work seemed overwhelming at times.

Bud

I was wondering about that. It will be years before the charts can be corrected, hydrographic surveys are probably low on the to-do list. Except the major population centers, of course.

A potential bit of good news. While the forecast hasn't been updated nor the official numbers, the hurricane hunters who flew in just measured greatly reduced winds. That could mean we'll see a significant lowering on the next release.

The Miami effort is called BAHAMASTRONG. Here is a link. Many supplies to go were those accumulated for Miami and now not needed for Dorian.

Thanks for sharing that.

I would have thought that they need to be careful - we are now coming into the most active part of the season. If those materials were specifically for Dorian and they can build inventory again similarly for the next one, which could be right around the corner, great. Send it all.

CarDude, I won't post the details here as it makes really bad reading, but GTC did not do well. It seems people are trapped in houses and the shelter at the primary school failed.

This all through messaging and second parties of course, but from what I am reading the Cay is in a bad way.

Ugh. I’ve been searching for news about GTC and the shipyard specifically, but can’t really find much. What I have found has just been second hand info and it has not been good generally.

Your news that all the boats have sunk in Man o War is definitely not a good sign. Sigh.

Stuck inside with everything battened down. Practicing my splicing skills. Made a couple of Dyneema soft shackles.

Oh, and a funny repost from Mike's Weather Page...?

Attachments

• 20190902_181007-1612x907.jpg
    20190902_181007-1612x907.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190902_184707.jpg
    20190902_184707.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 54
Thanks for sharing that.

I would have thought that they need to be careful - we are now coming into the most active part of the season. If those materials were specifically for Dorian and they can build inventory again similarly for the next one, which could be right around the corner, great. Send it all.

I think the city's feeling is to help those who need it now and get more for later. There was a lot of aid to Puerto Rico from the same group of people.

They're looking at sending absolute necessities.

Shockingly Bethenny Frankel is providing information from Miami where a seaplane with former Navy Seals intends to go to the Bahamas tomorrow for rescue efforts. In addition they're loading containers on barges for supplies to be taken as soon as possible.

Now, her shocking words next. All that's been heard from Bahamian sources is 5 deaths, but she says from sources on the islands she's aware of over 50 deaths at this point. This is from calls from those who are there. I obviously can't verify any of it, but the organizations involved that she works with are legitimate and did do a lot in Puerto Rico.

The videos I've seen show new buildings standing and old buildings destroyed.

I hope we all will do what we can for the people there and that includes us as a country. They are our neighbors and friends. They contribute greatly to our lives.

We went through Katrina, and the pictures and videos I've seen today of the Abacos of the storm surge and the aftermath, look just as bad as Katrina, so as much as I hate to think it, I feel pretty sure that they aren't going to get away with just five deaths.

There are lots of phases to recovery. Right now, they just need food and shelter, and some medical care. The Coast Guard and the Bahamian government will have to be the ones to provide that this week, and the next.

Phase two is going to be starting to clean up, and then they will need manpower, and a support system for that manpower.

Phase three is going to be rebuilding and that will take lots of money. Lots.

One problem I see, is where in the world are the survivors and rescue workers going to stay? The logistical problems that are going to have to be solved are not insignificant, for sure.

And, it's going to be a long time before their world even begins to resemble the one they lost. Years. But, most of the media will have completely forgotten about the Abacos is a week or two. I know that from experience, too.

I hate it for them and what they are going to be going through. You're never the same.

Reactions: Bud
Seven o'clock update still has it stopped, 145mph winds.

LOCATION...26.9N 78.4W
ABOUT 30 MI...55 KM NE OF FREEPORT GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND
ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM E OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...145 MPH...230 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...STATIONARY
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...941 MB...27.79 INCHES

Seven o'clock update still has it stopped, 145mph winds.

LOCATION...26.9N 78.4W
ABOUT 30 MI...55 KM NE OF FREEPORT GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND
ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM E OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...145 MPH...230 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...STATIONARY
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...941 MB...27.79 INCHES

Unreal.

Back
Top Bottom