Dorian aims for East Coast of Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now at Cat 5 with 160 mph winds gusting to 185 mph, and the track is moved again to the west.
Just 30 miles will make the difference between tropical storm winds and hurricane winds on Florida coast.

No way to predict the outcome for US coast just yet, but certainly parts of Bahamas are being hit with Cat 5 storm today.
https://weather.com/storms/hurrican...-bahamas-florida-georgia-south-carolina-north

Ari metioned 15 to 20 foot surge in parts of the islands.

Last edited:
Crap. NE Abaco getting beat.

We're at Halifax Harbor too though on E dock so not on one of the docks near the entrance channel.

Staff seems to have things pretty much under control and the marina is extremely well built with floating concrete docks and pilings higher than anything currently predicted. Much better than the NY marina I was docked at for Sandy.
When I was in Daytona last month I prepared for this scenario with good lines and moving a bunch of deck stuff to my parent's garage. I'm in NY and they did a check yesterday and gave me an OK.

If Dorian wants to come up to Daytona, she'll come up to Daytona. My onboard Wyze camera is running and I'll go down with the ship if it comes to that.

Hopefully weakens soon for the sake of everybody.

I’m going to call them today and see if they can throw a few extra lines and fenders for me. They did take my stairs down and put them in the sun deck.

Not sure if this is a good thing or not but we basically came in on fumes. Not much fuel onboard at all. Not sure if their fuel dock will be affected.

This is how we left it. Wish I had taken the dink down.

Attachments

• 877E73DE-3F95-4554-B287-5F97DEA1B464.jpg
    877E73DE-3F95-4554-B287-5F97DEA1B464.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 67
  • F1CDB350-4162-4480-BAF2-54202DC00BFE.jpg
    F1CDB350-4162-4480-BAF2-54202DC00BFE.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 62
I’m going to call them today and see if they can throw a few extra lines and fenders for me. They did take my stairs down and put them in the sun deck.

Not sure if this is a good thing or not but we basically came in on fumes. Not much fuel onboard at all. Not sure if their fuel dock will be affected.

This is how we left it. Wish I had taken the dink down.

I would be more worried about all the canvas and curtains.

In fact it would probably be worth it to pay a canvas place to take it down...while they have it do any work done that needs it.

Raise your hand if you and your boat have been in the eyewall of a category five hurricane and both survived (NO, I was not on the boat!). :oldman:

Having been there and lucky enough to have resources to recover, I can only have compassion for the Bahamians whose country could well be changed dramatically. They are likely going to be a neighbor in dire need.

Last edited:

In fact it would probably be worth it to pay a canvas place to take it down...while they have it do any work done that needs it.

Any exposed canvas will be gone. All those sailboats with their sails strapped to the boom will lose their sails and probably the whole rig. I’ve seen that happen many times. Roller furled jibs are the most vulnerable.

Even though Miami is currently not in the Cone of Death, I’m going to continue my hurricane prep. Too far away to trust the Cone yet.

This is the most perfect hurricane I’ve ever seen. In years to come, if you look up Hurricane in the dictionary, you’ll see a photo of Dorian.

Wow! Just heard 180 mph sustained winds. They are calling it the strongest storm in modern records.

Cone center 40 miles off FL coast. Michael wobbled that far left and right as it roared down on us. May it wobble right!

Last edited:
We are at the top of the Hudson and turning around to go back to Ontario.
There will be nothing left in the upper Bahamas where we were headed.

TURN BABY TURN

I can't imagine riding out a hurricane on an island. Not any hurricane and this isn't just any hurricane. This is a monster. God bless Bahama.

I know that would have been smart but it’s sunday and Memorial Day weekend. Doubt anybody will even return a call before this thing hits.

https://abcnews.go.com/

Right now top story at Abc news, and it says speed is at 180 mph and gusting over 200 mph.

Wasn't Camille something similar to this?

Imagine many hours of 180 mph winds and 200+ gusts. The storm is moving very slowly. It is about 180 miles away from US coast.

Can that wind speed blow you off your feet into the air?

Last edited:
1100 am update has max sustained winds 180 mph with higher gusts and minimum pressure of 913 MB. Thats Top 5 territory. God have mercy. NHC says Camille was 909, Katrina 920.

Last edited:
No one anticipated or ever anticipates 180 mph. Can only imagine the devastation in the Bahamas. Just hope minimal loss of life.

I don’t know anything about hurricanes but that was my thought as well. Lots of windage up there.

No advice, and no war stories. Just fervent prayers for the folks in the Bahamas.

I don’t know anything about hurricanes but that was my thought as well. Lots of windage up there.

I know. There’s nothing I can do. Flights are already canceled. The marina is going to throw more lines for me. I hope insurance will cover the canvas.

I know. There’s nothing I can do. Flights are already canceled. The marina is going to throw more lines for me. I hope insurance will cover the canvas.

No chance that someone at the marina can take the canvas down or at least open up the side pieces? My concern wouldn't so much be the canvas getting damaged (canvas is replaceable enough) but the damage the extra wind load could cause on the structure it attaches to.

Last edited:
If the storm does not turn north before it hits FL, everyone between Miami and Ft Lauderdale, (myself included) will be so screwed.

Even though Miami is out of the Cone now, I’m going to finish my hurricane prep. I have two trailer boats in my yard. Any suggestions for securing trailer boats?

No chance that someone at the marina can take the canvas down or at least open up the side pieces? My concern wouldn't so much be the canvas getting damaged (canvas is replaceable enough) but the damage the extra wind load could cause on the structure it attaches to.
Canvas and curtains are incredibly expensive to replace....opening part of it ensures it's total destruction and even more possible damage where the frames attacth and where it can swing and pound.

Somehow, I don't think some supposedly current videos from Bahamas are showing current conditions.

Even though Miami is out of the Cone now, I’m going to finish my hurricane prep. I have two trailer boats in my yard. Any suggestions for securing trailer boats?

Trailer screw-in-the ground tie-downs. See your local trailer home supply store.

Sorry steve91t, that frame and canvas are going to be gone even in heavy tropical storm conditions.

After the current Bahamas reports we're just hoping for the best.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom