Dorian aims for East Coast of Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still a long way to go but the last forecast had it coming ashore at Vero Beach 50 miles from where we are. Has now moved south to Stuart @ 19 miles from our slip. Will do what I can do, which is a lot actually, on Saturday and that's about it. In a pretty protected marina. Surrounded closely by multi-story condos east, west and south. North more expose but I can put out an anchor in that direction as well as triple lines. Like I said, long way to go and lanfall will change 25 times between now and then. Come on jet stream....do your thing....

I can't believe you wish it on anyone. We have family, employees and friends in SC and many people there have still not recovered from Florence.

I don't think anyone is truly wishing it on others. Just wishing it away from themselves. If it were aimed for your dock in FLL would you be grateful and say "Thank goodness we are saving all those people in West Palm"?? No, you would want it to move further north.

I don't think anyone is truly wishing it on others. Just wishing it away from themselves. If it were aimed for your dock in FLL would you be grateful and say "Thank goodness we are saving all those people in West Palm"?? No, you would want it to move further north.

No, I would want it to be less destructive, move off shore, lose intensity. Well, West Palm may not be the best example, but that's another story.

Huge difference now in forecast landfall between 8 PM Monday and 8 AM Wednesday.

Some forecasting it to be comparable or nearly comparable to Andrew as forecast intensity is now 140 mph.

Should start reaching consensus by tomorrow but I'm thinking now it will be Saturday or later with such a difference on it's speed.

Gulf Coast League and Florida State League in baseball both ended seasons and cancelled playoffs.

Wifey B: Just looked back at first post in this thread, "It's a weak one but will do some damage." So much for being weak. I'm almost scared to go to sleep for fear the forecast will be for stronger by the time I wake tomorrow.

One other thing worrying me a bit. If there are going to be evacuation areas we have no idea where or what. Well, if we wait until Sunday, will we have chaos? If it's the middle of the state then do you evacuate south? Has that ever been done as a pattern? All I've seen is heading north or if north heading west. I don't even know the evacuation zones further north and unfortunately we often hear a panicked cry to evacuate many counties. Yet, the experts only call for evacuating east of I-95 in most areas. Again, you get too many trying to evacuated too late and you have a mess. :ermm:

At this point we know there's going to be heavy damage some where. I hope that doesn't include loss of life like on the Gulf Coast last year. That was a shockingly high number. :nonono:

Today's 5am and 11am NOAA reports should start painting a more accurate picture of the weekend. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there is any high pressure system that is going to miraculously keep Dorian offshore and away from people.

Best wishes to the good people of the Bahamas who don't have many places to run.

Be safe everybody, broken boats and broken houses are easier to fix than broken bodies.

Last edited:
Two new houses were built near me recently. Both have poured concrete roofs. I very jealous right now.

Oh goodie. After analyzing all the data, our federal government is pretty sure Dorian will come ashore on the east coast of FL over the weekend, maybe Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday.

Last edited:
Well, West Palm may not be the best example, but that's another story.

Ouch. Sad but true. No one has made the often heard comment that there are some places in Florida that NEED a hurricane.....but of course that would be mean so no one should say it.

Its now moved further south and forecast to pretty much go through my back yard so I will have to kick into overdrive today. Hopefully it will.....move offshore, lose intensity.

"" We could use them." (the FEMA trailers)

Nope , sorry there not hurricane rated , so will stay rotting in a field.

Your gov at work , with your tax dollars!

Hmmm, today, clean the sea strainer of the generator, run it for an hour under full load.
I ran the main engine for an hour last week this week.
Survey and adjust the lines I put on yesterday. Maybe add a couple more fenders on the dock side.
Keep the water tank full..... for Irma, the marina shut off the water w/o warning. I had enough, I was living alone and showers were not on my list of things necessary. Now, with my lovely 'house mouse', Yen, living onboard, I must make allowances for her needs.
Food? Enough for a week.... assuming we are not proud of what we eat. LOL
If I am happy with the lines and fenders, start planning on taking-in the water hose and move and secure the RIB.
Oh, there is another storm coming our way too. Oh joy, oh joy.

Praying for all of you in the path of this monster.
Maybe we could start a check in thread or something to keep track of everyone who will be affected.
If anyone wants to evacuate to Louisiana, we have room!

Of course, there will be those idiots who think they can surf during the hurricane.

From this morning's Forecast Discussion:

Dorian's heading is very gradually turning toward the left, with
the latest estimate northwestward, or 320 degrees at 10 kt. Dorian
is now being steered between a mid-tropospheric high centered near
Bermuda and a mid-/upper-level low located over the Bahamas. The
high is expected to expand westward, with a blocking ridge becoming
established over the western Atlantic during the next several days.
With the exception of COAMPS-TC and HMON, the other reliable models
are in excellent agreement through day 3, with Dorian turning
westward south of the ridge and moving near or over the
northernmost islands in the Bahamas Sunday and Monday. After day
3, steering currents collapse as a break develops in the ridge, and
Dorian will likely slow down considerably as it approaches the
Florida peninsula. There is more spread among the deterministic
models and their ensemble members during that time, with
disagreement on exactly when and where Dorian will turn
northwestward and northward on days 4 and 5. That being said, the
tracks of the simple and corrected consensus models on this cycle
did not warrant much change to the official NHC forecast, with
perhaps just a slight southward adjustment on days 3 and 4. The
biggest concern will be Dorian's slow motion when it is near
Florida, placing some areas of the state at an increasing risk of a
prolonged, drawn-out event of strong winds, dangerous storm surge,
and heavy rainfall.

Does the diameter of the storm affect the high of the resulting storm surge? So if Dorian remains relatively compact, will that lessen the chance of coastal flooding due to the surge?

Greetings,
Mr, dh. Qualifier: I've never experienced a hurricane BUT I suspect the surge is wind driven. xxx MPH winds driving water inland. So a larger diameter storm may have longer sustained high speed winds resulting in a bigger surge.

Does the diameter of the storm affect the high of the resulting storm surge? So if Dorian remains relatively compact, will that lessen the chance of coastal flooding due to the surge?

The speed of the storm over water also plays a significant role. Two extremes, Andrew was very fast moving and compact and even with all it's destruction had very little surge for it's size. Meanwhile Sandy was slow and very spread out and tremendous damage from rain and from surge.

Lots of variables affect how high the surge will be. Low barometric pressure pulls the water up (some) and the inward flowing winds do it too. But a good bit depends on the coastal geography and the speed of the storm (not wind speed, but storm speed). It tends to hold a hump of water under it and if moving fast when that hump hits the shallows, it tends to rise over the land rather than disperse to the sides. Saw that when I rode Hugo out in Chas as a young man in 89. Even higher areas of the island got flooded, the water had enough momentum (like 30mph) that it was like a tsunami and just went over stuff.

Slow moving, but powerful storms can be worse for inland areas as the surge has enough time to push through inlets and flood inland areas. Fast storms are worse at the beach but not so bad a few miles inland. Storm is gone before water can work its way inland.

And on a storm moving to the west, the worst surge will be N of the eye as there the winds will be from the E and push the water to the shore. In Hugo the eye went right over us and we got about 15' of surge, less inland due to the speed thing. 15miles N of the eye, got like 20'.

Here at my place in NC, about a mile inland from the beach strand but close to an inlet and on a tidal creek, we have had a bunch of storms in the 25yrs I have been here:

Cat 2 (Fran, '97) surge was about 11-12'
Cat 1 (Flo, '18) surge was about 7'

Those were direct hits, as in eye overhead. Lots of other storms brushed us, but the surge was elsewhere, and we only got maybe a few feet of surge.

Latest consensus landfall is now around Juno with some models slightly north and some south of there. Still a lot of uncertainty over the path once landfall is made. Things look very bad for the northernmost areas of the Bahamas. Landfall timing appears to have narrowed to the window from about 9:00 PM Monday to about 3:00 AM on Tuesday.

We are still just outside the three day window, so should see greater uniformity in models by tomorrow morning.

As mentioned, how fast it is moving has a huge effect. That's what caused the huge issues here in New Bern, and in Houston a couple years ago.

We live a few miles from New Bern proper up on the non-tidal Trent River , in what some would consider a "protected" spot. Based on the water line left on our lawn leading down to the river, the water came up around 14 feet. Lower lying houses, including a couple of neighbors, and many across the river in River Bend, got flooded badly.

School me a little on storm surge. My plan is to tie my bow and stern lines as close to midships as possible, further forwar/back if I can. That would allow the boat to rise and fall more due to the length of line and angle. Keep away from short lines, piling to bow or stern that would have less give to the surge? Any other hints?

10 hours ago it was nearing cat 3, and expected to smash Florida as a cat 4.

Being on the Virginia SE coast and also vacationing in outer banks many times have weathered hurricanes always left boat in the slip. I had 2 vacations interrupted by hurricanes. Told wife (before kids) I refuse to evacuate with the crowd. All day long rt12 was clogged and barely moving, we stayed at hotel on the beach. I went into the surf with a meteorologist and had a fun time in crashing waves. He was staying to cover the hurricane. Wife said we were crazy.

Next morning hurricane was just offshore with wind driven foam in the parking lot, extreme strong powerful winds but not much rain yet and an empty road and we had a pleasant drive home to Va the whole way. We were north of the very low bad areas of that road, so I had no worries about getting cut off by rising seas.

Last edited:

Being on the Virginia SE coast and also vacationing in outer banks many times have weathered hurricanes always left boat in the slip. I had 2 vacations interrupted by hurricanes. Told wife (before kids) I refuse to evacuate with the crowd. All day long rt12 was clogged and barely moving, we stayed at hotel on the beach. I went into the surf with a meteorologist and had a fun time in crashing waves. He was staying to cover the hurricane. Wife said we were crazy.

Next morning hurricane was just offshore with wind driven foam in the parking lot, extreme strong powerful winds but not much rain yet and an empty road and we had a pleasant drive home to Va the whole way. We were north of the very low bad areas of that road, so I had no worries about getting cut off by rising seas.

So? What's your point?

BandB...are you guys in Florida now?

School me a little on storm surge. My plan is to tie my bow and stern lines as close to midships as possible, further forwar/back if I can. That would allow the boat to rise and fall more due to the length of line and angle. Keep away from short lines, piling to bow or stern that would have less give to the surge? Any other hints?

Floating docks or fixed?

BandB...are you guys in Florida now?

Yes, we're at home in FLL and have family driving home from SC today. We will stay home. We will have large numbers of extended family joining us and if things hold as they are right now even additional close friends as some from Jupiter would likely come south. However, all very subject to changing forecasts as to what is wise for them.

We have employees in three counties that we're thinking of as this progresses too. As South Florida employers and business owners we do have rather extensive emergency plans, notification systems, and follow up procedures.

So what you are saying is that you are one of those "I ain't leavin' for nuttin" guys we see on the news sitting on their rooftop begging for someone to come save them after things go way wrong?

Back
Top Bottom