Dorade vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rubber Duck

Vessel Name
Cabernet
Vessel Make
Resort 35
So
My 10 year old non battery powered solar vents have ceased to work due to age, should I replace with the same , or manufacture/purchase some dorade boxes and cowls ?. The Dorade arrangement seems to be a lot more expensive and will impede deck space but may provide more flow,

opinions please.

So
My 10 year old non battery powered solar vents have ceased to work due to age, should I replace with the same , or manufacture/purchase some dorade boxes and cowls ?. The Dorade arrangement seems to be a lot more expensive and will impede deck space but may provide more flow,

opinions please.

Has what you've been using provided adequate flow? Will a new one be direct replacement? 10yrs seams a good life span.

More flow would be better, and a direct replacement would be possible, however cowls are more expensive, especially stainless.

If you simply replace the solar vent with a newer style unit that does have a battery, it will help keep the interior fresh 24/7.

Dorades are a delight in hot breezy places where even with a bug screen good air flow can be had,

I install them with a 6 inch plastic deck plate inside and out.

Should the unit be swept , the deck can be sealed.

In winter sealing both ends of the thru deck tube and stuffing some foam in the tube will help with heating.

We also cut the center of a deck plate out and hot glue in a 12v computer fan.

These only work in one direction so a pair is needed if you also want to push air out.

Installing a 24v computer fan reduces the air volume and sound , so it can be directly over a bunk with no hassle.

I would likely go with a newer solar fan with the battery. It will go right in the same opening as your existing one making the project pretty cheap and easy.

BTW, I am considering adding a solar vent to the forward hatch above the forward berth.

Back
Top Bottom