Don't tell my wife!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
Our old boat is back on the market. *I will say they dumped some money into it and it shows....mostly cosmetic as the mechanical side was in good shape.*

Anyway....my wife would go nuts knowing it is back on the market. *And to be honest, if we were in a position, we would probably buy it back. *6.7kts at 1.2 gph was not a bad way to go. *And a heckuvalotta comfort packed into 29'7" LOD!!!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981/Prairie-Trawler-2314243/Seabrook/TX/United-States

John.....I gotta tell ya, I really like the boat you have right now, but if I were your Admiral, I'd want that boat back too. *That's the best 29 I've seen, and if I didn't have my Manatee, I don't know if I could resist that one. *It's adorable, practical, and reasonable, desirable, and may be one of the few boats out there that are finished depreciating.

HH.....and it does hold a special place on our hearts. We really regretted selling it. I lived on it for almost 5 years.....she joined me for the last 3 years. Yep, 2 people living on a 29ft boat....we had the times of our lives. Ironically, the listing broker is the holding company for the company she works for....haha! Anyway, given the right conditions, we have our preferences. And the Manatee would be one of them. It is kindofa bigger version of the P29.....way bigger than it's size suggests. There are certain boats that defy their dimensions....the P29(and Manatee) are certainly in that class.

John, no offense, it is a cute, cuddley adorable wee boat, but it is that - a wee boat. You are x number of years older, and as we get older we neeeeed more space. We don't fold as well, and we have more stuffffff. It's sad, but true. Also, on principle, I have found going back is not a good thing. Rose tinted specs distort ones view looking back. You need to get a bigger boat! There - I've said it. You are a bit dissatisfied with the one you have, and have fond memories, but I bet if you bought it back, in 5 minutes you would discover things it does not do or provide that your present boat does, and even so you want more room. Stickin' where you are - or going up a size, even maybe not as new, is surely the way to go - unless cute and cuddley and slow and cramped is your gig, but I don't get that impression you're that kinda guy, is all I'm sayin'
Ducks for cover.......

I'd say you're much better off with the boat you have now.

markpierce wrote:
I'd say you're much better off with the boat you have now.
*Sorry, Mark but I had a Pilot 30 and know exactly what John's thinking. I, however, would go larger and not smaller. (Which I did!)

Peter B wrote:
John, no offense, it is a cute, cuddley adorable wee boat, but it is that - a wee boat. You are x number of years older, and as we get older we neeeeed more space. We don't fold as well, and we have more stuffffff. It's sad, but true. Also, on principle, I have found going back is not a good thing. Rose tinted specs distort ones view looking back. You need to get a bigger boat! There - I've said it. You are a bit dissatisfied with the one you have, and have fond memories, but I bet if you bought it back, in 5 minutes you would discover things it does not do or provide that your present boat does, and even so you want more room. Stickin' where you are - or going up a size, even maybe not as new, is surely the way to go - unless cute and cuddley and slow and cramped is your gig, but I don't get that impression you're that kinda guy, is all I'm sayin'
Ducks for cover.......
*No offense taken and no reason to duck for cover!!!! *Believe me, I know exactly what you are talking about and have thought about those exact things. *Cramped, it is not. *It is barely smaller than your boat....although 6ft shorter. *Look at the cockpit on your boat....it is about 4ft longer than the P29...and there you have it!!!!...all air!!!! *I can't tell you how many "bigger" boats we would go on and come off of them with the thought that it was no bigger than ours and in some cases...SMALLER!!! *The boat we have now is definitely cramped. *You land at the bottom of the companionway and there you are....that is it. *Interior space is probably 10x bigger on the Prairie than it is on our current boat....no sh*t!!!. *So it would not be going down in size. *It would certainly be going slower. *But I do understand your sentiment in trying to "recapture" all of the memories we had on it. I always warn people about emotions going into a boat deal....those are emotions we would definitely have to tame if we were to go forward with it.*

The bottom line is we don't overnight on this boat as much as we did on the P29....nowhere even remotely close. *The Pilot is a day boat....an absolutely fantastic day boat... with basic overnight accomodations. *The P29 is not the greatest of day boats(too slow but we sure used it as such), but it makes a wonderful overnighter and would be a fantastic "looper" for a couple. *IOW, it certainly is a potential liveaboard whereas the Pilot is not...not even close. *I would never consider living on a Pilot 30.....5 years on the P29....3 of them with my soon to be wife....

Soooooooo....I am just rambling here. * But I will defend the P29 in saying that it is FAR MORE than just a cute and cuddly wee little boat. *I would go so far as to say it is a substantial capable CRUISING boat that should be considered by the budget minded cruising couple for coastal cruising. *We shopped this boat heavily against the Mainship 34 and the California 34. *The P29 won the comparison(in our opinion).

FWIW

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 10:40:02 AM

looks like a very good use of space for sure.
can absolutely understand what you're saying, really its not the length of the boat so much, it is the usability of that space.
great fuel economy also, guess thats what its like to go one engine.

John,* Nice looking boat and great use of space.* I have not been on either the Pilot or the Praire but the later appears to have much more interior volume.

10x ?* Not sure-- may be the Rose covered glasses as mentioned.

Can't beat the fuel economy,* tough call but I have been told never look back.

That boat will be great for somebody -- for sure.

JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Thursday 21st of April 2011 06:31:18 AM

John:

**Did you move on that 29 yet? *I got to thinking that if it's speed that's holding up the switch, maybe you could talk to this guy.

Too cute. I like the color they painted the hull.* Must be tough to see your old "baby" back on the market.* Someday the right boat will come along at the right time and price.* Sounds like despite the fond memories this isn't it??

Back
Top Bottom