Old 12-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Brandon, MS
Vessel Model: 1986 Sea Ray Seville, 18.5'
Don't Know Jack?

Back again after just lurking off and on. Been watching more youtube videos about "Boating" most of what I see that interest me are sailing videos of people going around the world. Specifically Sailing Zatara, a family of 6 who got a 50' sail boat and decided to be liveaboards and travel. They are regular folks and I can relate to them unlike a lot of the youtubers who are just annoying to watch.

Anyway to my points! 1)I have not been able to find any full time trawlers making videos everything I see is sailboats, I guess mostly because I am watching the blue water type videos which is where my real interests are. Are there not many passage makers out there that have trawlers, or just not ones that video it?

2) I want a Trawler but Girlfriend (future wife) likes sailing catamarans because of the videos we have watched, plus I have kinda broke down the "estimated" costs of fuel and maintenance vs sails and rigging. Seems like a Trawler or Motor Yacht would be very costly to use as open water passage maker (I hope I am wrong) vs having a sail boat.

3) The more I learn about boating subjects the more I see I do not know and will need to learn (Hence the thread title). To me it seems like a lot less to learn to operate a power boat vs a sailing vessel, and to be honest all the tacking and waiting for the right wind and use this sail or that and ropes all over the place just does not appeal to me at all. I want to "turn a key" and go when I want, of course I still need to have the right weather conditions and seas etc, just would rather not put my efforts into watching sails and wind. Both types have engines (I got all that part covered not much to learn) and all the other systems are on both like water makers, radars, radios, plotters, electrical etc.. just don't want to add how to do all the rigging and "sailing" part.

I know most on this forum think like me or you would be on a sailing forum instead, so I guess the question is how practical really is having a trawler for a fulltime live aboard world traveling boat?

4) Money is not one of the things I have in abundance so budget will be important (insert reality here) So I think to start I would focus on a boat that would stay mostly close to the US gulf coast and cruise the Caribbean at best, circumnavigation may never be a reality for me but I can surely hit some good open water and get away from it all if I want. That is my main goal, to be away from everything when I choose, and go to different places a lot.

I am trying to keep this shorter so to sum up, what do you think is more realistic and cost effective? Just getting a feel for what info I may need to add I think?

Warwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
My guess is that among blue water passagemakers, sailboats outnumber trawlers about 50:1. Why?

Part of it is that sailors are the adventuresome type and really enjoy sailing. Another big part is that properly set up a sailboat can cross oceans and not worry about fuel. And while doing so a sailboat is relatively stable, although heeling all of the time.

A 50' trawler with either paravane stabilization or dynamic fin stabilization can be as or more comfortable than a sailboat but it takes lots of boat to make that happen. A used Nordhavn 47 goes for 3/4 million $ and is about the minimum I would consider crossing the Atlantic in. There are lots and lots of sailboats I would do it in that cost half of that.

World sailing routes have developed over the centuries so in general you don't have to go to weather. I suspect a trawler would follow the same routes. Banging into head seas is no fun in a sailboat or a trawler.

The Nordhavn mentioned above will burn about 2,000 gallons crossing the Atlantic (refueling in the Azores) which will cost $6-7,000, not that big a deal for a 3/4 million $ boat. A 45' sailboat will take a while longer but not much, maybe 6-7 kts vs 8 kts for the Nordy.

Some thoughts to consider.

David

djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Dang first reply and you sided with sailboats

I already knew this was the truth for open water, but was hoping I was just wrong. I will go Catamaran if it is a sailboat though that whole heeling over mess is not my bag. Also the open salon up high with windows like a trawler is a must have, don't want to spend all my time "below deck" and climbing a ladder ever 5 min.

Ughh so much to learn and consider
Old 12-14-2018, 05:26 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
WW, the concept of taking trawlers long distances was written about some years ago in the book 'Voyaging Under Power' by Beebe and Leishman. This is the same Leishman who founded Nordhavn boats. Amazon has this book and it's a great read if you're considering ocean passages in a power boat.
Ken E. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
CEC

City: SF
"Girlfriend (future wife) likes sailing catamarans because of the videos we have watched"

First of all go on a sail boat for a couple weeks and see how you guys like the cabin and the actual sailing part. Then go on a trawler and see how you like it. You tube is on a screen and the videos are typically all the good days in the best places ext..

I have friends that own sail boats that are sailing addicts. I suggest you find out if your in that group first before thinking about buying one. Sailing is can be a lot of physical work, so if you don't like the work you wont like sailing. Sails, rigging and everything that goes into doing it right is not inexpensive. Trawlers take fuel and motors that work - also not inexpensive and can take a lot of work and $.

Here's one that just happened to me:
Few weeks ago my wife says "we should get a bat"

I say why do you want to play baseball all of a sudden?

No no no! she says a Bat like a fruit bat!

What!

She says yes I have been watching videos on YouTube with people that own bats and they are so cute like little flying fox's. They are sooo adorable....

UHGGG!!!

I had to draw the line with a big NO to the pet fruit bat acquisition for countless (and obvious to me anyways) reasons. Thanks a lot YouTube please stick to puppies and kittens - filter out those pet fruit bat videos ASAP!
CEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Happy wife = happy life. Just saying.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently southbound in Georgia.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEC View Post
No no no! she says a Bat like a fruit bat!
I am so glad I was not drinking my coffee

Also some good advise, thanks.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. W. Stop letting your mate watch those videos. East coast, gulf and Caribbean? You can get away from it all in either power or sail BUT if the wind is too strong, too weak or from the wrong direction you'll be under power.

I think the vast majority of the boats that members have on TF are fully capable of doing just what you want to. A minority ARE ocean crossers. All power.

Unless your intending on traveling a LOT, fuel costs will probably be a small part of your budget.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #9
CEC

City: SF
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Happy wife = happy life. Just saying.

Almost every case I do agree with you. This was the exception! Bat crap all over the place = wife would not be happy.. Yes pointing that out helped quite a bit for the no bat side.. My point is Youtube often looks good on the screen, but at least experience before you buy in.
CEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We spent 10 years living and cruising on a sailboat before we went over to the dark side 11 years ago. Why? We were done crossing oceans. The idea of listening to an engine for 10-20 days at a time didnít and still dosenít appeal. We actually went to a sailboat after owning two power boats so we could go off shore. We werenít camping on the sailboat with a watermaker, fridge/freezer, central heat, generator, the same stuff we have on Hobo but for coastal cruising it was a power boat. The extra room and general livability on Hobo is better than our sailboat. Good luck on your choice.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:53 PM   #11
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. CEC. I really think you missed a perfect opportunity there...

Old 12-14-2018, 05:53 PM   #12
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
"She says yes I have been watching videos on YouTube with people that own bats and they are so cute like little flying fox's. They are sooo adorable....

UHGGG!!!

I had to draw the line with a big NO to the pet fruit bat acquisition for countless (and obvious to me anyways) reasons. Thanks a lot YouTube please stick to puppies and kittens - filter out those pet fruit bat videos ASAP! "

As one who has had rabies shots, I side with you
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:58 PM   #13
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
And Mr WW, we are only a few miles from you - over in Jackson. When we get our 42' trawler up to Columbus in the spring you need to come up and take a look and a ride.
Are you familiar with 'America's Great Loop'? If not, it's worth a google
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #14
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwgn View Post
B

Anyway to my points! 1)I have not been able to find any full time trawlers making videos everything I see is sailboats,
Not full time, only five or six months a year, but I put videos together regularly.

AtAnchor.com | The Voyages Of Sonas And Her Crew.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. W. Stop letting your mate watch those videos. East coast, gulf and Caribbean? You can get away from it all in either power or sail BUT if the wind is too strong, too weak or from the wrong direction you'll be under power.

I think the vast majority of the boats that members have on TF are fully capable of doing just what you want to. A minority ARE ocean crossers. All power.

Unless your intending on traveling a LOT, fuel costs will probably be a small part of your budget.
I do intend to travel a lot.......but not sure how that will pan out vs the budget. I still have a lot to figure out and theoretically have plenty of time still, I am only 46 and we both have kids that will be around for a while still. I have an 18, 11, and 7 she has an 19, 15, and 11 so by the time we get the boat and have time to really get out there the oldest 3 will have peeled off, but leaves us 3 to help stand watch

This is why I think a trawler at first will be good, more room and possibly easier and cheaper to store than a Cat and no real plans to go voyaging until I get some captain experience under my belt and down to just one kid onboard. But who knows I have done crazier things with not much planning or forethought
Old 12-14-2018, 06:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
And Mr WW, we are only a few miles from you - over in Jackson. When we get our 42' trawler up to Columbus in the spring you need to come up and take a look and a ride.
Are you familiar with 'America's Great Loop'? If not, it's worth a google
We would love that, I would be grateful to take you up on that offer
Old 12-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Regarding sail versus power and crossing oceans:
You don't know what you don't know. There's a lot to learn and your first boat (based on your limited budget and lack of cruising experience) won't be the one you will likely go to the Blue water in. So, get a starter boat and figure out what it's all about, so boat number two is closer to your needs. Doubt you will find anyone who went Blue water cruising on their first boat.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote