Don't Know Jack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warwgn

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Searching now
Back again after just lurking off and on. Been watching more youtube videos about "Boating" most of what I see that interest me are sailing videos of people going around the world. Specifically Sailing Zatara, a family of 6 who got a 50' sail boat and decided to be liveaboards and travel. They are regular folks and I can relate to them unlike a lot of the youtubers who are just annoying to watch.

Anyway to my points! 1)I have not been able to find any full time trawlers making videos everything I see is sailboats, I guess mostly because I am watching the blue water type videos which is where my real interests are. Are there not many passage makers out there that have trawlers, or just not ones that video it?

2) I want a Trawler but Girlfriend (future wife) likes sailing catamarans because of the videos we have watched, plus I have kinda broke down the "estimated" costs of fuel and maintenance vs sails and rigging. Seems like a Trawler or Motor Yacht would be very costly to use as open water passage maker (I hope I am wrong) vs having a sail boat.

3) The more I learn about boating subjects the more I see I do not know and will need to learn (Hence the thread title). To me it seems like a lot less to learn to operate a power boat vs a sailing vessel, and to be honest all the tacking and waiting for the right wind and use this sail or that and ropes all over the place just does not appeal to me at all. I want to "turn a key" and go when I want, of course I still need to have the right weather conditions and seas etc, just would rather not put my efforts into watching sails and wind. Both types have engines (I got all that part covered not much to learn) and all the other systems are on both like water makers, radars, radios, plotters, electrical etc.. just don't want to add how to do all the rigging and "sailing" part.

I know most on this forum think like me or you would be on a sailing forum instead, so I guess the question is how practical really is having a trawler for a fulltime live aboard world traveling boat?

4) Money is not one of the things I have in abundance so budget will be important (insert reality here) So I think to start I would focus on a boat that would stay mostly close to the US gulf coast and cruise the Caribbean at best, circumnavigation may never be a reality for me but I can surely hit some good open water and get away from it all if I want. That is my main goal, to be away from everything when I choose, and go to different places a lot.

I am trying to keep this shorter so to sum up, what do you think is more realistic and cost effective? Just getting a feel for what info I may need to add I think?

My guess is that among blue water passagemakers, sailboats outnumber trawlers about 50:1. Why?

Part of it is that sailors are the adventuresome type and really enjoy sailing. Another big part is that properly set up a sailboat can cross oceans and not worry about fuel. And while doing so a sailboat is relatively stable, although heeling all of the time.

A 50' trawler with either paravane stabilization or dynamic fin stabilization can be as or more comfortable than a sailboat but it takes lots of boat to make that happen. A used Nordhavn 47 goes for 3/4 million $ and is about the minimum I would consider crossing the Atlantic in. There are lots and lots of sailboats I would do it in that cost half of that.

World sailing routes have developed over the centuries so in general you don't have to go to weather. I suspect a trawler would follow the same routes. Banging into head seas is no fun in a sailboat or a trawler.

The Nordhavn mentioned above will burn about 2,000 gallons crossing the Atlantic (refueling in the Azores) which will cost $6-7,000, not that big a deal for a 3/4 million $ boat. A 45' sailboat will take a while longer but not much, maybe 6-7 kts vs 8 kts for the Nordy.

Some thoughts to consider.

David

Last edited:
Dang first reply and you sided with sailboats:facepalm::banghead:

I already knew this was the truth for open water, but was hoping I was just wrong. I will go Catamaran if it is a sailboat though that whole heeling over mess is not my bag. Also the open salon up high with windows like a trawler is a must have, don't want to spend all my time "below deck" and climbing a ladder ever 5 min.

Ughh so much to learn and consider:thumb:

WW, the concept of taking trawlers long distances was written about some years ago in the book 'Voyaging Under Power' by Beebe and Leishman. This is the same Leishman who founded Nordhavn boats. Amazon has this book and it's a great read if you're considering ocean passages in a power boat.:thumb:

"Girlfriend (future wife) likes sailing catamarans because of the videos we have watched"

First of all go on a sail boat for a couple weeks and see how you guys like the cabin and the actual sailing part. Then go on a trawler and see how you like it. You tube is on a screen and the videos are typically all the good days in the best places ext..

I have friends that own sail boats that are sailing addicts. I suggest you find out if your in that group first before thinking about buying one. Sailing is can be a lot of physical work, so if you don't like the work you wont like sailing. Sails, rigging and everything that goes into doing it right is not inexpensive. Trawlers take fuel and motors that work - also not inexpensive and can take a lot of work and $.

Here's one that just happened to me:
Few weeks ago my wife says "we should get a bat"

I say why do you want to play baseball all of a sudden?

No no no! she says a Bat like a fruit bat!

What!

She says yes I have been watching videos on YouTube with people that own bats and they are so cute like little flying fox's. They are sooo adorable....

UHGGG!!!

I had to draw the line with a big NO to the pet fruit bat acquisition for countless (and obvious to me anyways) reasons. Thanks a lot YouTube please stick to puppies and kittens - filter out those pet fruit bat videos ASAP! :)

Happy wife = happy life. Just saying.

Greetings,
Mr. W. Stop letting your mate watch those videos. East coast, gulf and Caribbean? You can get away from it all in either power or sail BUT if the wind is too strong, too weak or from the wrong direction you'll be under power.

I think the vast majority of the boats that members have on TF are fully capable of doing just what you want to. A minority ARE ocean crossers. All power.

Unless your intending on traveling a LOT, fuel costs will probably be a small part of your budget.

Happy wife = happy life. Just saying.

Almost every case I do agree with you. This was the exception! Bat crap all over the place = wife would not be happy.. Yes pointing that out helped quite a bit for the no bat side.. My point is Youtube often looks good on the screen, but at least experience before you buy in.

We spent 10 years living and cruising on a sailboat before we went over to the dark side 11 years ago. :hide: Why? We were done crossing oceans. The idea of listening to an engine for 10-20 days at a time didn’t and still dosen’t appeal. We actually went to a sailboat after owning two power boats so we could go off shore. We weren’t camping on the sailboat with a watermaker, fridge/freezer, central heat, generator, the same stuff we have on Hobo but for coastal cruising it was a power boat. The extra room and general livability on Hobo is better than our sailboat. Good luck on your choice. :)

Greetings,
Mr. CEC. I really think you missed a perfect opportunity there...

200w.gif

"She says yes I have been watching videos on YouTube with people that own bats and they are so cute like little flying fox's. They are sooo adorable....

UHGGG!!!

I had to draw the line with a big NO to the pet fruit bat acquisition for countless (and obvious to me anyways) reasons. Thanks a lot YouTube please stick to puppies and kittens - filter out those pet fruit bat videos ASAP! "

As one who has had rabies shots, I side with you:hide::hide:

And Mr WW, we are only a few miles from you - over in Jackson. When we get our 42' trawler up to Columbus in the spring you need to come up and take a look and a ride.
Are you familiar with 'America's Great Loop'? If not, it's worth a google :thumb:

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. W. Stop letting your mate watch those videos. East coast, gulf and Caribbean? You can get away from it all in either power or sail BUT if the wind is too strong, too weak or from the wrong direction you'll be under power.

I think the vast majority of the boats that members have on TF are fully capable of doing just what you want to. A minority ARE ocean crossers. All power.

Unless your intending on traveling a LOT, fuel costs will probably be a small part of your budget.

I do intend to travel a lot.......but not sure how that will pan out vs the budget. I still have a lot to figure out and theoretically have plenty of time still, I am only 46 and we both have kids that will be around for a while still. I have an 18, 11, and 7 she has an 19, 15, and 11 so by the time we get the boat and have time to really get out there the oldest 3 will have peeled off, but leaves us 3 to help stand watch:thumb:

This is why I think a trawler at first will be good, more room and possibly easier and cheaper to store than a Cat and no real plans to go voyaging until I get some captain experience under my belt and down to just one kid onboard. But who knows I have done crazier things with not much planning or forethought :eek:

And Mr WW, we are only a few miles from you - over in Jackson. When we get our 42' trawler up to Columbus in the spring you need to come up and take a look and a ride.
Are you familiar with 'America's Great Loop'? If not, it's worth a google :thumb:

We would love that, I would be grateful to take you up on that offer:thumb:

Regarding sail versus power and crossing oceans:
You don't know what you don't know. There's a lot to learn and your first boat (based on your limited budget and lack of cruising experience) won't be the one you will likely go to the Blue water in. So, get a starter boat and figure out what it's all about, so boat number two is closer to your needs. Doubt you will find anyone who went Blue water cruising on their first boat.

Ted

Greetings,

I think you hit the nail on the head for sure, took me a couple years to decide I think we will do just what you suggested. East coast, gulf and Caribbean have more than enough to keep us going for years. Also the decision is in and we will go power.

Oh and she is not my Girlfriend anymore we got Married in 2019, took our Honeymoon trip and stayed a week in the Bahamas to see what we thought about it and we loved it. So now the hunt is on for a 44' to 50' Trawler, so far we both love the Defever 48' and there are several in our price range.

Time to get a little more active in this forum and learning more and more.

It seems 48 feet may be more boat and fuel consumption than you may "like". The bigger the boat, the bigger the fees.

It seems 48 feet may be more boat and fuel consumption than you may "like". The bigger the boat, the bigger the fees.

I think I will have to like it, plan for it to be a live aboard so think it will be just about perfect. Maybe a 44' would work too, it's just the layout and look of the DeFever 48' Trawler makes us both happy.

Might have to work a little longer than planned before I retire to live full time on a boat but in this world who knows what the next nine years will bring. I will be 55 in seven more years but my youngest turns 18 in nine more and that is when I plan to retire or maybe 10 years from now, just have to see what he market bears between now and then.

Gonna sell my house and rent Hers out as passive income to pay for fuel, at least that is the current plan. Might strike oil before then or something and call it early:lol: But most likely we will purchase a good used boat in the next 5 years and learn the ropes see what we like and don't then sell it and move into a more permanent boat that works best for us. Don't think I want to just risk it all and be stuck with something we don't like, so will not liveaboard until after I retire and we know we really like it.

That is wise. I think getting into a boat is vital and understanding that it might be your second boat that you retire/live on.

We got a 40 and love it. And with twin screws quite "easy" to maneuver. Love the teak and all wood interior. I enjoy applying teak oil snd seeing the results. Others want fiberglass everything. To each his or her own.

"The bigger the boat, the bigger the fees."

Yes but,

As folks gain experience they usually enjoy traveling more and being dockside less, until many eventually anchor out any/every place they can.

Many waterway travelers examine the charts for the next anchorage , not the next marina for an overnight or longer stay.

IF a boat is outfitted to be self sufficient in many areas a mooring and space for a dink ashore will cost 1/10 or less than a dock for a seasons rental..

At a marina you can still park, get mail, use the dumpster and pump out and get fresh water. Early AM mid week is seldom a busy time to come in for water and pump out..

"On the hook" the boat ventilates better and the lack of dock traffic is a joy.

Not for everyone and not for every boat configuration. .

Last edited:
To expand on FF's points.

If we couldn't anchor out in comfort we would get out of boating altogether. That is how important a comfortable self sufficient boat is to us.

There are times where we go in and tie up - like going into St Augustine municipal marina for the start of the annual Nights of Lights, and into Palm Coast Marina on the way to and from the Bahamas because it is the right distance for the first and last days with no anchoring available in that part of the ICW.

But of the 180 plus nights we are on the boat every year I would say we are in a marina for less than ten of them. We are also fortunate that there are some great overnight anchorages not far from home when we want to nip off for a few nights.

So I do not agree with the adage that you should aim for the smallest boat that you will feel comfortable in. I would recommend that you go for the largest and best found boat that you can comfortably handle and afford (not just the purchase but the upkeep and dockage). Recognizing that many on here single boat, so that is part of the handling decision.

The risk of not doing so could mean a quick sell and upgrade at best, or at worst losing your significant other's interest in boating if you only have the one shot at it.

I know this doesn't fit the bigger isn't always better thinking, but my two cents.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom