Don't cruise in heavy weather cooking a pot roast!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
Last week I left my marina on a day that was forecaster 10-15 knots NW in the morning with gust to 25 subsiding to 5-10 afternoon. I was on the first day of a two day journey to Annapolis. Since it was going to take me several hours to get to the mouth of the Potomac and it's hundred miles of fetch from the NW I thought I'd be OK and start a Crock Pot pot roast. While I was protected by the western shore all was well. When I started to cross the open fetch of the Potomac with the tide opposed to the wind which had been blowing for days all hell broke. The seas reached 6' vertical in a nice washing machine motion and interval. Needless to say the auto pilot really couldn't keep up. The wind was on the beam at 25-30 knots. I had to let go of the Crock Pot that was sitting harmlessly on a non-skid pad on the counter so I could avoid a capsize by hand-steering. The next sound was the ceramic pot shattering on the salon floor and the sight of the pot roasts (2) sliding on the floor. Now there is meat, broken pottery and meat juice everywhere. I'm still an hour plus from getting to the sheltered northern shore. Needless to say crawling on your knees on the salon floor wiping up meat juices in six foot chop does not do your body good. Did I mention the added benefit of consuming to many adult beverages the night before to add to the pleasantries?

-- Edited by Daddyo on Sunday 10th of October 2010 11:14:30 PM

I'm not perfect either.

We put the crockpot in the sink. no problem (so far)
Steve W.

I made a tray to hold the crockpot. So far it has worked but I haven't (thank goodness) had the opportunity to test it in 6 footers.

The old rag bagger answer is the pressure cooker.

I feel for you. I've experienced the Potomac in exactly thse same wind/tide conditions. To say that waves the size of houses are there would be to understate.

THANK YOU for the levity!* I needed it!*

We usually stick things in the sink when the going gets interesting like that!

We put stuff in the sink also when in rough water. We put the coffee maker/pot there, etc.

We dont cook when underway, unless it is very much expected to be a smooth passage (ie river, or a no-wind day, etc.) But even then you have to be careful about big boat wakes. It only takes ONE wake to spill the pot !

I've had the TV fall over on me when we departed and forgot to lay it down. But I think we are getting better.

Reminds me of our old blow boater days - life on the tilt !
R.

ralphyost wrote:
Reminds me of our old blow boater days - life on the tilt !
R.
I sure don't miss that.* I actually have BREAKABLE items on my trawler and am not completely petrified.**I would never have dreamed of having a decorative breakable item on the sailboat no matter HOW it was attached (museum putty, etc).* OR a TV that was not bolted to the wall.

When someone comes aboard. The first thing I tell them is, if they have something breakable.

It can't fall off the floor.

SD*

Back
Top Bottom