Old 04-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Re: Donations!!!!

I threw in and am glad to do it. Well worth the money, if you ask me. Baker, maybe you guys can run some numbers and let us know what is needed to cover expenses on an annual basis. That and the number of active members would help us know what to contribute.

Thanks for all you both do to keep this site up and running. It's a part of my daily surf...often several times a day.

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #22

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29

This is a no brainer. I am in and happy to support it.

Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

In my opinion, I don't need to know how much it takes to keep this site alive. If it can't be supported by ads, then it needs to have a subscription fee. It's really none of my business what the $$$ involved are.* When you sell a product, you don't give out all your data to your customers. You tally up your costs, attach the appropriate mark up and that's the price! The market decides whether or not it wants your service/product. Although I think John and Doug's intentions (to make this a free site) were very noble, the site can't survive without* donations or subscription fees. BoatDiesel has different plateaus for different fees.

Whether or not these monies make John & Doug millionaires or not is none of my business. All I need to know is whether or not I get value out of* the monies donated or subscribed.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #24
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'

I think Walt summed it up pretty well.
It's nice it was free but I realize that the costs must be mounting past the point af a few bucks for fun for Doug and John and any others involved in starting the site.
Hopefully they can drum up some ads also. It's that or some combination of fees and ads or I'm guessing there will no longer be a site because they can no longer afford to pay for it.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #25
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

To Be - or - Not To Be... That IS The Question

A Private for Profit Business; where books are completely closed or A Communal Non-Profit Business; where books are wide open... I believe that is the primary quandry for Trawler Forum!

Hello Webmasters!* Appreciating your Trawler Forum I recently jumped aboard on*2/9/11.* Its a pleasure to read/place entries and see/place picts while interacting with a bunch of cool members; and to learn things too!* That said... Being a life-long entrepreneur and believing that most (if not all boating forums should be non-profit) I feel you could calculate and provide a recommended per member/contributor donation $$$ target.* Goes without saying too often: All biz operations (profit or non-profit) need at minimum to maintain $$ breakeven... or broke they go!*

Herein I offer a simple layout for a trust based non-profit Trawler Forum that should be able to maintain financial viability while paying reasonable wage to the active webmasters.* This formula of course relies on the circumstances of: Webmaster cleverness to keep costs down / Number of annually contributing members / Whether or not those two items can result in a recommended $$*donation level that contributors feel affordable (of course in a non-profit*any contributor could donate more or less $$*than the recommended donation amount).* By the webmasters, the donation level suggested would hopefully be affordable enough so that new contributing members would be willing to join in for*the forum fun. *
1.**** For first fiscal year: Estimate total annual cost to run the forum website make detail-itemized excel (or other type) spread sheet with the cost total at end of item calcs (including a reasonable itemized income for webmaster efforts)
2.**** Learn the number of current members who are willing to participate in donating divide that number into the estimated total cost = your recommended $$ donation per contributing first year member.* Post that recommended donation $$ amount and ask for all who agree with that donation $$ amount to*post so*on that thread... that way you should be able to learn within a couple weeks if you can keep the forum financially afloat via donations alone.* If so, and you want to keep the forum alive ask everyone who answered yes to donate the recommended amount... or more!*
3.**** As new members come in during first fiscal year add their donation into the sites savings bank account which you can establish under your name to keep away from a costly biz license for the site; because after all this is a simple non-profit operation!
4.**** Upon beginning of second fiscal year, provide any member with access (if a member were to request same) to basic spread sheet results from the first year and for the second year adjust the forums annual recommended donation per member to a $$ amount that you feel will keep annual forum costs cared for.
5.**** Repeat fiscally/annually with recommended donation $$ amount adjustments as needed so forum $$ needs are cared for.* Spread sheet of previous year at beginning of each year should be available to members who request to see same.
6.**** I believe to help make and keep Trawler Forum its most productive, with the highest number of member/contributors, that the recommended $$ donation level should be kept as affordable as possible.

Thats a basic KISS non-profit business model scenario, adjust as desired!* Trust is a prime factor in an open organization such as this!!* There are ways to attract new donating members... the participating donating members are your best bet for word of mouth... the most useful, at times most productive, and least expensive advertising medium in existence.

BTW As an example:

Tollycraft Forum (to which I am, as all others are,*member at no charge) accepts anyone who owns, used to own, seeks to own, is willing to own or would like to discuss Tollycraft* boats; basically no other boat types are ever chatted about and no forum fee is charged to anyone the forum has no popup or other*intrusive ads.* Its format and operations are overseen by rotating execs from the Tollycraft Boating Club, to which I am a paying member.* But, a member to the forum need not be a member of the Boating Club... most forum members do not belong to Tollycraft Boating Club and therefore do not pay a dime to belong to and participate in the Tolly forum.* There is one forum sector re selling privately owned Tolly/boat parts that only Tollycraft Boating Club members have access to.* All other forum sectors are open access*to any forum member

Good luck in figuring how to keep Trawler Forum up and running.* Ill keep my eyes open to see availability to your spread sheet on estimated first year costs, number of members who will participate and your requested donation $$ amount per participant.

Best regards, Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Avista wrote:
Happy to donate, any suggestions on amounts?
*I sent $50.00. $25 for me and $25 for Marin.

Ken

2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #27

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC

I find a lot of value in the information shared here. Donated gladly. Thanks to all the members including those that have not posted lately.
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Fellow TrawlerForum members and guests,

John and I started this site over 3 years ago as a hobby.* We never expected it to make* us rich.* We still don't.* However, our little hobby and our 100 or so friends quickly grew to a level that started to look awfully red on paper.

There is a ton of free stuff on the internet, and there is a ton of stuff that costs $$$.* Some of it, too much $$$.* John and I are personaly not real crazy about advertising.* We tried to go with the Google AdSense and we all know how that worked out.* It was easy, it was going to give us enough money to operate the site at a slight profit, and we didn't have to seek funds elsewhere.

Enough of you are "voting" with the Donate button to probably keep this site ad-free.* That's the way I like it, maybe Baker feels the same way.* We really do appreciate those that have contributed with words and with $$$.* We will never charge to post on this site.

The bottom line is...if you don't want to donate...we do not have a problem with that.* Those with the contribution of good dialog and wisdom will always be welcome here.

However, we have been receiving a lot of donations and we really do appreciate it.* THANK YOU!

One thing you will never see is a Donate Button AND Advertising.* One or the other has to fund this site.* Never both.
dougd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #29
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Donations!!!!

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:Some of the "suggestions" or comments about how to raise some money reminds me of the person who goes to dinner with a bunch of people, orders the most food, drinks the most liquor, then suggest everyone chips in the same amount.
You guys can *criticize* (fixed ) my take on this all you want, but let's not get personal. To use the anaology you mentioned... The way I see it is that for the mods to make a ton of money off a free site is like going to the same dinner with a bunch of people. Everybody throws money in the pot to cover the bill. The person that collects all the money realizes there is way too much in the pot, but then just pockets the rest for himself. Does that make more sense to y'all?

Now leave me alone about this.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Saturday 9th of April 2011 06:35:50 AM
Tom.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:46 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Donations!!!!

Quote:
dougd1 wrote:
Fellow TrawlerForum members and guests,

John and I started this site over 3 years ago as a hobby.* We never expected it to make* us rich.* We still don't.* However, our little hobby and our 100 or so friends quickly grew to a level that started to look awfully red on paper.

There is a ton of free stuff on the internet, and there is a ton of stuff that costs $$$.* Some of it, too much $$$.* John and I are personaly not real crazy about advertising.* We tried to go with the Google AdSense and we all know how that worked out.* It was easy, it was going to give us enough money to operate the site at a slight profit, and we didn't have to seek funds elsewhere.

Enough of you are "voting" with the Donate button to probably keep this site ad-free.* That's the way I like it, maybe Baker feels the same way.* We really do appreciate those that have contributed with words and with $$$.* We will never charge to post on this site.

The bottom line is...if you don't want to donate...we do not have a problem with that.* Those with the contribution of good dialog and wisdom will always be welcome here.

However, we have been receiving a lot of donations and we really do appreciate it.* THANK YOU!

One thing you will never see is a Donate Button AND Advertising.* One or the other has to fund this site.* Never both.
*Very perfectly put!!!

And no worries, Gonzo. *We understood your intent and we appreciate very much your participation on here!!!! *BTW, I will criticize the way you spelled critisize!!!

Thanks all of you for your support!!!

-- Edited by Baker on Saturday 9th of April 2011 04:48:12 AM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #31

This is not like "everybody throws money in the pot to cover the bill. The person that collects all the money realizes there is way too much in the pot, but then just pockets the rest for himself". The "creators" are more similar to the chefs than diners and are entitled to make a profit, if one is to be made. The entertainment and information is worth the donation. God bless them if they are able to make a profit!
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #32
Veteran Member

City: San Leon, Texas
Vessel Name: Always On My Mind
Vessel Model: DeFever Downeast 40 - 1979
Donations!!!!

I just put a few bucks in the bucket as I really enjoy this site and I hope that everyone can help out with what they can.

Thanks John and Doug, for making this site available and for keeping it ad free. I am sure I would not want to have the responsibility of maintaining a site like this, hobby or profession, so thanks for all you do.

-- Edited by Roostor on Saturday 9th of April 2011 02:30:04 PM
Roostor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

I may very well contribute. I enjoy this site, would hate to see it disappear and appreciate that it costs Doug and John out of pocket to run it. However, I feel strongly that the practice of putting $$$ signs in the avatar of those who have contributed is a bit much. What's next, starting a donor list of platinum members, gold members, silver members, and skinflint members depending on the dollar range they have contributed (or not)? Its close to a public shaming of those who, for one reason or another, don't or can't contribute, or can't contribute much.
dwhatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #34
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Donations!!!!

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
* Its close to a public shaming of those who, for one reason or another, don't or can't contribute, or can't contribute much.
******** I could not agree more!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 9th of April 2011 01:28:32 PM
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #35
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I agree David. It seems like a con. Shaming folks to contribute but knowing these guys (to some extent) I think they were just trying to thank and give credit to those that have put bucks in the bucket. I contributed for past services as well and I've been here for 3.5 years and urge others to consider that too. This is my yacht club and I appreciate it very much.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #36
Guru

I'm on the same bandwagon. Perhaps it could be optional? I would opt not to be recognized for a contribution. I appreciate the thought, but would opt out.

Ken
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #37
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Donations!!!!

I contributed to help with the operating cost of this forum.......but I kind of miss the old method of seniority based on number of posts or egos (Wish I could think of a good one). I don't need to know who has contributed, just that Doug and Baker are not going out of pocket to provide this forum and for it to survive for our enjoyment.

-- Edited by rochepoint on Monday 11th of April 2011 09:02:51 AM
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #38
RED

I am happy to donate. I don't need any accounting, nor do I care if there is an excess in the account when it is all done. As I see it, this is a labor of love for John and Doug and they have only asked for help (note, no demands) just for their out of pocket expenses. What we might donate won't begin to pay them for all the time, effort and original ideas in making all this work for us!
Thanks for the great work guys!
RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #39

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse

We donated via Pay Pal... but haven't seen any deductions from our account.... did it actually go through?
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #40
Grand Vizier

Perhaps changing it to "TF Supporter" or something....although some would think you were calling them a jock strap....

I very much appreciate the clean look, and ease of use of this site, and my hats are off to the sponsors for doing what they do.* Thank you!

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote