Old 12-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #1

City: Olympia WA
Vessel Name: Waterford
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Don Douglass passes

Don Douglass, author of the Explorer cruising books, has passed on. He and his wife made huge contributions to the lives of cruisers in the PNW. He will be missed.

https://waggonerguide.com/the-passin...-don-douglass/

Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I'm sorry to hear of Don's passing. His tracks in the sand of Life, through the books he and his wife wrote on the BC and Alaskan coastlines, will last for many future generations of adventurous boaters.

We met them first while my wife and I were in the middle of a long crossing in our sea kayaks, just north of Cape Caution. We couldn't figure out why a boat was making a bee line straight for us, until we saw the double kayak on their pilothouse roof and that the boat was called, Baidarka.

They invited us aboard for a visit, and were grand folks. I believe this is when my wife fell in love with trawlers, as the comforts of home (comfortable seating, sink & stove, toilet, and a bed always made) left a big impact on her!

We met them again about four months later. They were traveling through Grenville Channel and noticed a tent beside Saunders Falls, so boated over to investigate. We were all surprised to see each other again, and it is one of our most favourite memories from our trip.

Their book on BC's north coast is easily one of the most important reference books we own.

They nosed into places most fear to go, and gave those who dare to follow just enough information to fan the hesitant flames of confidence.

Thank you!

Old 12-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
The Douglass 'Exploring' books are certainly the standard by which all other PNW cruising books are measured. Don will be missed.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote