Dogs and Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
where do the dogs go to the bathroom when on the water and do they want to jump overboard? I may need flotation devices for them?

You can train them to go on astro turf with a fifty-fifty chance you will be successful. The dog has been trained not to go in the house, now you are telling her it is ok. Be aware that this training will be just as hard on you as the dog as you will need to leave her until she can no longer wait and has to go on the fake grass - we as humans know how uncomfortable this can be, but dogs handle it differently. Otherwise it is in the dink morning, afternoon and evening!

Re jumping overboard. Our first rescue, German shepherd-yellow lab mix, tried to jump overboard the first few times we took her out. After that she stayed home with the help of good neighbors.
Our next rescue, black lab - pit mix loved the boat and had no issues moving around and staying on board.

We just got our third rescue. So far she had only been on the runabout but no issues. We have started the astro turf training.

Also

We bought a contrasting color life preserver with a handle. I once saw a black lab swimming in sea water. He seemed to enjoy it, but you could hardly see the dog in the water. So when we bought ours, we bought yellow. Be sure it has a handle so you can tie a line to it, or use a boat hook to get him close if the need arises. Also, allows for you to attach a light beacon that goes off when wet. Once we start cruising long range, the wife will require that I will get a auto-PLB for the dog. Much cheaper than a divorce:)!!

Take care at the flotation under the dog's snout, because when dog became tired they let the head down and a drowning could happen.
This added flotation it is like a folding half circle fitted under the neck.
I am not clear ...normal I am French :hide:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom