Old 10-19-2015, 04:10 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Dogs on deck

Jenny was as much a newbie to boating as we were when we purchased Phoenix Hunter in June 2013. She was 7 years old and we made the decision to try to get her to shore for the same 3 walks that she gets when we are at home on land. Some of the trips to shore are less than ideal, and sometimes she doesn't do her business, but as they say in recreational fishing, "it's a all about the opportunity," and she's quickly learned we don't mess around.

She was quite nervous about the skiff when first introduced to it but she quickly learned that it was her opportunity for a trip to shore so quickly figured out the routine. While we don't worry about her on deck on the mother ship, we do put a life jacket in her when on the skiff and the handle on the top of the jacket has saved her from going overboard on several occasions. The brand name of her life jacket is called "Paws aboard"

She's not a particularly active dog now at 10 years of age, but as a rule we don't allow her on deck wen. Travelling except when we are approaching a dock or anchorage as she gets anxious to see what's going on. Once outside on deck she's well behaved. There's lots of side deck for Jenny and we really don't worry about her falling overboard. I lift her on and off the foredeck from the dock.

The cat is a good traveller. We crate her when we are getting ready to leave or when preparing to dock or anchor. When travelling she goes to sleep in the Pilothouse and stays that way for as long as we normally travel, which is up to 8 hours. We have to watch her like a hawk when she's out on deck and we restrict where she can go. She's fallen overboard once and was not a happy kitty! Fortunately I had my salmon net, which to date has only been used to land a cat!

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:01 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Human-friendly decks are dog-friendly, unless you're cheating yourself. Sixteen-inch-wide decks are the minimum.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:15 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Human-friendly decks are dog-friendly, unless you're cheating yourself. Sixteen-inch-wide decks are the minimum.
Um, I don't think so.
Doesn't matter how wide the deck is a 2 gallon dog is going through a 10 gallon opening. I ain't.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Um, I don't think so.
Doesn't matter how wide the deck is a 2 gallon dog is going through a 10 gallon opening. I ain't.
But haven't seen a dog wider than I.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #25
Guru

"Spanky McPartland" in full rest position. Being smarter than a dog, he uses a litter box. No need to go ashore to do his thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Catalina 2015 015 (1280x960).jpg  
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote