Old 08-18-2015, 01:59 AM   #1

City: Sidney BC
Doggy dew.

Just got back from 2+ weeks in Desolation Sound. First time back in 25 years. Seems that most boats had 2 or 3 dogs aboard with constant "doggy dew" runs to shore. My NZ friends commented that most paths on shore were covered with doggy dew. A big turn off for them where collecting the crap from dogs is the norm in NZ. What is the norm for cruising boats in the PNW? Do you let your dogs crap anywhere they wish without a thought for other users of the shore? Just want to know what the normal practice is?

maac16324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:49 AM   #2

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
Picking up is the law here in Australia and although some don't there are significant fines. When you get down to it its common courtesy really.

Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:16 AM   #3
Guru

In terms of remote natural areas, the problem maac16324 raises may explain partly why The National Parks and Wildlife Service here gets so upset and issues fines for taking dogs into national parks. Unfortunately for dogs and owners, I believe the waterways are part of the Park. And most owners take the dogs ashore, for obvious purposes. I understand that even if the wildlife don`t get chased, what`s left behind is not good and upsets the wildlife, though some of our 2 meter plus lizard "goannas" are far more likely to chase than be chased.
It`s a difficult issue, people and dogs like to go boating together, I don`t take a dog but friends do and I enjoy their dogs. Maybe cleaning up is the answer, at least in part.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:58 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sydney
I take my dog everywhere and I do as I do at home or anywhere we go "I PICK IT UP" simple ? We empty William in the morning and again around 7pm

gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:38 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Yup, pick up after Fido or get a SMART dog that will go on board without necessary trips to shore.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers
We always pickup!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
In Alaska...

When anchor'd out we do not pick anything up. There is just not the kind of population or traffic to warrant it. We generally anchor in a cove with nobody there, and the next rain, and or the weather will dissipate the dookie.

At the harbor we have 10' tides. My dogs go below the high tide level.

Everything that eats craps. dogs, people, seals, bears... every animal. I suppose in a different climate or with more people it would be a big deal with all the dooki laying around, but not here in Alaska.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #8
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Normally pet owners should pick up, especially in an area where there are lots of folks. In more remote areas, without a lot of folks, I don't see an issue. Fido owner will say I have to do something with the poo when I get back to the boat. Owners problem and I am not shy about saying so when Fido poos in the middle of the hiking trail.

The reason we don't have animals on ASD. If I did have one, a cat that was boat savvy would do.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #9
Guru

Better yet, a cat that uses a litter box....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalina Trip 057 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	43293  
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
In Alaska...

When anchor'd out we do not pick anything up. There is just not the kind of population or traffic to warrant it. We generally anchor in a cove with nobody there, and the next rain, and or the weather will dissipate the dookie.

At the harbor we have 10' tides. My dogs go below the high tide level.

Everything that eats craps. dogs, people, seals, bears... every animal. I suppose in a different climate or with more people it would be a big deal with all the dooki laying around, but not here in Alaska.
Good enough reason to bypass Desolation Sound which in itself is just an extension of the city where poop finds it's way from the sidewalks to the restaurants and blue bags adorn the shrubbery like Christmas ornaments.

The down side is, if you shame people into picking up, the waters and sea strainers are overwhelmed with little blue bags.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #11
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Better yet, a cat that uses a litter box....
Even better....my boat is a "pet hair free zone". No pets allowed. They all stay at home when we're on board.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #12
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Good enough reason to bypass Desolation Sound...
Hawgwash-- Partially true. Good reason to avoid Desolation Sound during those times when everyone else is visiting it, too.

Other than going to our property in the islands we never cruise during the summer. We do all our cruising in the fall, winter and spring. Our fortunately very short boating "season" is WAY too crowded with people and boats for our taste. We bought our cabin cruiser to get away from people, not to be surrounded by them.

So if you simply do your boating when all the noisy, inconsiderate, and annoying people are at work or in school these are still the best boating waters in the world including Desolation Sound.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	43295  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #13
Guru

Go to sea without Spanky? Never!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Catalina Trip 023 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	43296  
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:24 PM   #14
Guru

City: NC
My wife started feeding our dog a raw meat diet. Danged dog eats better than I do, well usually, I was not so keen on the internal organs the dog was eating a few days ok. The dog has been a bit sensitive food wise and even with good quality, meaning expensive dog food, the dog had some health issues. Since changing to the raw food diet the dog is healthier and has more energy.

What heck does this have to do with Doggy Doo, well everything.

The volume of dog poop is much, much less on this raw meat diet. Drastically less. Furthermore, the poop degrades very quickly in the yard, though it would not surprised me if foxes or coyotes don't eat the poo. The poo also does not stink much at all and draws very few flies since what I do see dries out quickly.

Even good quality dog food is full of fillers like corn and rice which goes right through the dog and just makes a mess. The fillers bulk up the food bag and thus the dog poo.

Never thought I would be discussing dog poo on a boat forum!

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
My wife started feeding our dog a raw meat diet. Danged dog eats better than I do, well usually, I was not so keen on the internal organs the dog was eating a few days ok. The dog has been a bit sensitive food wise and even with good quality, meaning expensive dog food, the dog had some health issues. Since changing to the raw food diet the dog is healthier and has more energy.

What heck does this have to do with Doggy Doo, well everything.

The volume of dog poop is much, much less on this raw meat diet. Drastically less. Furthermore, the poop degrades very quickly in the yard, though it would not surprised me if foxes or coyotes don't eat the poo. The poo also does not stink much at all and draws very few flies since what I do see dries out quickly.

Even good quality dog food is full of fillers like corn and rice which goes right through the dog and just makes a mess. The fillers bulk up the food bag and thus the dog poo.

Never thought I would be discussing dog poo on a boat forum!

Later,
Dan
I'm thinking that I should eat more very rare steak
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
So if you simply do your boating when all the noisy, inconsiderate, and annoying people are at work or in school these are still the best boating waters in the world including Desolation Sound.
Couldn't agree more.
My grown kids still talk about our Easter runs to anywhere in Jervis or Sechelt Inlets with a stop at Buccaneer for a swim in the pools on the way.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #17
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Depends. Jenny usually goes off the trail for her business. For the most part we leave it. In more heavily trafficked areas, I pick up. While in the north of Caution, rarely picked up except on the manicured property of the of the Hakai Institute at Pruth, Shearwater etc.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #18

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
I have heard the island at the north end of Squirrel Cove in Desolation sound, called Dog S--- Island. And from watching the parade of boats coming and going, I would say that it was aptly named.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:46 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
We always pick up....here, it's just the respectful thing to do. At any given time, I bet Tom or I or both have a poop bag in a pocket.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
We always pick up....here, it's just the respectful thing to do. At any given time, I bet Tom or I or both have a poop bag in a pocket.
Yup, me too and I don't even have a dog. Friends do but I got used to carrying them in Vancouver where everyone "forgets" or "just ran out."

We are a disgusting species.