Dog Life Jackets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
The dog that would most often be aboard has a collapsed trachea, both cervical and intrathoracic, so cannot wear a collar or any "vest" that rises above the sternum. It took months to find a suitable everyday harness.

A thorough search of PFDs shows they all have some kind of front enclosure or wraparound. Obviously that is ideal to eliminate the chance of him swimming out of it.

I fear just floating in one of these would put unwanted pressure on the neck and throat.
The Modern Bark | Dog Training Tips: 5 Best Dog Life Jackets Reviewed

Has anyone come across this rare predicament or is using a brand that fits low in front?

Something like this is about a low fitting as I've seen.
Available from Dog Life Jackets

If that is still too high, you may be able to cut off the "round the neck" portion of a standard dog life jacket and sew a couple "round the foreleg" straps onto the main body to minimize the risk of the dog slipping out.

Attachments

• tex25125.jpg
    tex25125.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 167
Something like this is about a low fitting as I've seen.
Available from Dog Life Jackets

If that is still too high, you may be able to cut off the "round the neck" portion of a standard dog life jacket and sew a couple "round the foreleg" straps onto the main body to minimize the risk of the dog slipping out.

Now if that isn't the WWW at work.
Guy in Australia tells a bloke in Canada about a life jacket in Texas.

Thanks AusCan, that looks like it would work.
We thought about modifying one with one of his harnesses but would rather have a manufactured one.

Glad to help out, Hawgwash; and Happy National Dog Day, as I read in another post.

Attachments

• seadog.jpg
    seadog.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 41

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom