Does your boat have any decorative wood carvings aboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ben2go

Guru
Vessel Name
Shipoopi
Vessel Make
derilic sailboat
I was curious if anyone has decorative wood carvings aboard their boats.If so,would you mind posting pics?I have a recent affection for such things.I did some simple carving and wood burning in my youth.It's something I am considering as a hobby over winter.

Definitely not except for the documentation number. (All wood is interior.)

Not on our boat other than a couple of circular wood frames I made that hold small brass portholes that I use as picture frames. But the husband of the friends we boat with carved a long backboard for the galley of their lobsterboat out of a piece of Yellow Cedar some years ago. As I recall it's a sort of coast Indian motif. If I get a chance I'll shoot a photo some day or perhaps he has one himself.

Our Present 42 doesn't ('83), but I have seen a later model that had beautiful teak carving on the interior doors. Is that the sort of project you are considering?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I made this medallion with a big CNC router when I worked for a high end millwork shop . I had to make 200 for a house that had huge mahogany crown mold and had one of these every three feet or so . I had this blank spot in front of the sink and had this just laying around .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 72
Not as good as the whale I'd made and didn't pre-drill (it cracked) -- this fish is on the inside near my door to the cockpit. I wanted a fire extinguisher above the propane locker and the bulkhead wasn't substantial enough to bolt it up. So, I made a fish. Er, backing plate. Well, whatever it is, the thing works.

FireInsideFish.jpg

One day I'd like to make another one -- better of course. I've seen some beautiful ones. For certain any pictures here will be better than my fish.

Our Present 42 doesn't ('83), but I have seen a later model that had beautiful teak carving on the interior doors. Is that the sort of project you are considering?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I haven't decided.I saw a boat many years ago that had ebony and ash affixed to each other.On the lighter ash side there was a carving of half the sun with flames, and the other side was half the moon with pock marks for craters carved in.It was 2D more so than 3D.It was hung in the center of the over head console that goes from side to side over the helm.

I'm not very artistic.Just something I thought I would possibly give a try.

I've purchased some local native carvings. Only two so far but I keep my eye open. Some of them are simply too large, both physically and monetarily.

Or do you mean carvings that are part of the boat such as was in the older Grand Mariners, local name, which have fully carved and arched interior doors and frames.

I've purchased some local native carvings. Only two so far but I keep my eye open. Some of them are simply too large, both physically and monetarily.

Or do you mean carvings that are part of the boat such as was in the older Grand Mariners, local name, which have fully carved and arched interior doors and frames.

I'm thinking something that can be mounted like a picture or wall plaque.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom