Old 02-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #1

Does Marine Trader / Marine Trading still exist?

Do they still make boats? Seems they went out of business? If so, when?
7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Port Charlotte, Florida
Vessel Name: Reef Drifter
Vessel Model: 1983, 34 ft., Marine Trader
RE: Does Marine Trader / Marine Trading still exist?

I think they don't make boats anymore but we found a phone number several months ago.**We called and they were able to answer some questions if you give them the boat HIN. *I was trying to locate and additional key for our exterior door.* That was the one and only question they could not help me with.**The key we have is one of a kind skeleton type key.* I went to several locksmiths to have them duplicate this one.* Only one guy said he could for $40.00.* We didn't take him up on the offer and are hoping we don't lose this one.**So far we have*forgotten to take*the key only one time in about 8 months.* Well.....ok...maybe twice, but the first time we were only about half way to the boat and remembered.* It is about a 45 min. drive one way from the house to the boat.* Damn this getting old is a pain!!!!******
reefdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:

Do they still make boats? Seems they went out of business? If so, when?
********* Marine Trading International is still building boats and you can buy a new one today if you want to.

Parts are another issue,* The nature of the beast is that so many different variables over the years makes any kind of parts inventory impossible.

******** MT main yard is located in Toms River NJ just a stones throw from where our boat is docked.* The last time I spoke to Don Miller he said he had tried a yard in China but I believe he is not building in China now.

******** This Fall they took at least one of their new MTs down to the Baltimore Trawlerfest.* I don't know how many he sold last year, but when I was at his yard* I met a couple who just took delivery of their new 36 and they were pumped.
Their first trip was to take her home to the Carolinas then retirement cruising.

******** It was a sedan model and really roomy, somehow they even tucked a washer/dryer under the steps to the flybridge.

******** Anyway, Yes they are still in business and that means something in this economy.** JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Port Charlotte, Florida
Vessel Name: Reef Drifter
Vessel Model: 1983, 34 ft., Marine Trader

That must be an old posting of their website.* They are still advertising things going on in 2009.
reefdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

Don is a bit of a character, and I am not sure of his internet marketing techniques.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #6

City: baltimore
Does anyone have detail drawings or pics of how the decks are constructed? I think im leaking and dont want to just start ripping into it.
jenstrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:08 PM   #7

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Marine Trader was not a builder but was an importer. Don Miller, the founder of the company contracted the building of boats to different yards in Taiwan which led to different quality builds for different models. Some yards bid low to build the boats with lower quality, some yards did a great job to keep more future business. Don died in 2012.
Try some research on which yard built the boat, maybe at MTOA website which started as Marine Traders Owners Association but morphed into Marine Trawler Owners Association. Check the back of the electrical panels and the labels on the fuel tanks to try to find out which yards built the boat.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
Guru

City: Trenton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenstrawler View Post
Does anyone have detail drawings or pics of how the decks are constructed? I think im leaking and dont want to just start ripping into it.
You are going to have to just start ripping into it. They are very simply constructed and I don't think you'll have a problem figuring it out. Be careful taking the interior teak trim apart as that will be difficult to replace. The rubber-cloth headliner can be matched from the big marine stores. Interior teak is another matter. That can be a challenge to match. The outside is just fiberglass and gelcoat. Try and do everything from the inside but if you can't it shouldn't be too hard to find a break point and begin with new materials.

The good thing about Marine Traders is that no matter what you do, you are probably improving it.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville, NC
Vessel Name: Tra Sea Time
Vessel Model: 1989 Marine Trader 38 DC
There is some interesting history with a brand called Mariner Orient and Marine Trader. They were made up until a few years ago and used the Marine Trader 38 molds. Don Miller sued claiming the molds were his. They stopped production in 04 I think. Maybe some other members can shed some light this story.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:45 AM   #10
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald View Post
There is some interesting history with a brand called Mariner Orient and Marine Trader. They were made up until a few years ago and used the Marine Trader 38 molds. Don Miller sued claiming the molds were his. They stopped production in 04 I think. Maybe some other members can shed some light this story.
Believe Mariner Orient is now Helmsman.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Middletown
Vessel Name: Kindred Spirit
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 39
Donsan, you are correct. Mariner Orient is now Helmsman.
Al W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
You are going to have to just start ripping into it. They are very simply constructed and I don't think you'll have a problem figuring it out. Be careful taking the interior teak trim apart as that will be difficult to replace. The rubber-cloth headliner can be matched from the big marine stores. Interior teak is another matter. That can be a challenge to match. The outside is just fiberglass and gelcoat. Try and do everything from the inside but if you can't it shouldn't be too hard to find a break point and begin with new materials.

The good thing about Marine Traders is that no matter what you do, you are probably improving it.
...that's about it for the vintage Albin TT's also.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:31 AM   #13
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
The structural decks of most cruisers like this are typically a fiberglass-plywood-fiberglass sandwich with a thicker layer of fiberglass on top than is on the bottom. If the boat has teak decking the planks are screwed into the subdeck sandwich although later, higher end boats often have their decks glued down starting in the late 1990s or early 2000s.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:52 AM   #14

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Quote:
Where is your leak? That information could help locate it. I have seen foredeck line hawses and anchor windlass deck penetrations leak turning up in the interior amidships (bad cores all the way). Water can go under the teak and exit elsewhere, it can go between the caulk and come out elsewhere, it can go around deck fills straight inside or it could get into the core one place and come out another.
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote