Old 08-17-2016, 12:37 AM   #41
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
Comparing a Beneteau with an Island Packet is like comparing a Chevrolet with a Cadillac. Nothing at all wrong with either vehicle but.........which would you really rather have?
I get the gist of what you are saying....I think. But I do not think it is a good comparison. The IP is a better built boat. But it is a HORRIBLE light wind boat. So If all you are gonna be doing is sailing the bays and day sailing, the IP is a very bad choice. The Beneteau is a perfectly fine boat. Nothing wrong with it and it is a decent light wind boat. And it would serve perfectly well offshore. I have a friend with a House in Roatan and a 47 Beneteau. He takes that thing back and forth all the time. Perfectly capable offshore boat as well as light wind boat. So for what most people do with their boats, the Beneteau is a better boat....although the glass may not be as thick or heavy. I see this mistake all the time....buying a boat for the wrong reason. And I agree with DLHays.......I would go Catalina over Beneteau. But that is personal preference as I think they are pretty close in overall quality and build.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:23 AM   #42
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Cardude: Put a hydraulic davit on your 'comfortable boat' and carry a Zuma, Laser, Sunfish or some 'fun toy'. Who knows. A jet ski may add another dimension to a 'speed challenged' trawler!

After you muck about, haul it back aboard and relax in the AC using some of the wonderful hot water you have, then sit back and regale everyone with your adventures that day.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:31 AM   #43
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
If you want sails keep what you have and add the mast. You already own a capable motor sailor.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:50 AM   #44
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
If you want sails keep what you have and add the mast. You already own a capable motor sailor.
This is probably what I would do.

Didnt we go through the exercise of you wanting the mast awhile back?

It would be a nice boat that would certainly be fine for western Hemisphere cruising. Maybe more as I don't know the boat well enough.

A friend of mine left the Bahamas in May on his 40 something Lagoon Cat. Motored 5 straight days because of wind patterns.

Helped move my friends sailboat from Jersey to Charleston, motored 80 percent of the way.

Seems to me, unless crossing oceans with favorable tradewinds, distance (not necessarily long distance) sailing has become a motorsailing sort of adventure. Mainly, because no one wants to get caught some place by bad weather or they just want to get there.

A motorsailer is the best of both worlds and the worst....but fits my brain ....so that ought to tell you something about my brain...

The cost of swapping boats probably wouldn't cost much more than you adding that mast. Use the mast for your wanderlust in the Carribean, then take it off for your Great loop, put it back on for one last grand sail. Then take it off when you are absolutely too old to be climbing masts ....... and you can still have it for sale with the boat when you buy your final boat like the rest of us.

A beautiful, handmade wooden canoe on some far off mountain lake. By then I will be so sick of maintaining boats and salt water.......maybe you will be too....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #45
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Does anyone go from a trawler to sail?

I probably need to go on a long offshore cruise in a sailboat to get this out of my system. 😁

"Didnt we go through the exercise of you wanting the mast awhile back?"

Yes, but that was almost a year ago. Cut me some slack! 😂

I can't wrap my head around adding a mast-- it seemed too involved with the chain plates and rigging and winches, and I don't think it added value (maybe reduced it?). My estimate from the factory, back when they were still in business, was like $80k. I don't know any local riggers who could do it for a reasonable amount, and I don't know enough to supervise the job, so that's why I backed away from that idea.

I appreciate all the ideas and advice so far. I didn't expect, posting this on TF, that I would get a chorus of: Do it dude! You're a genius! Why didn't I think of that! (You people are my reality check).

My pipe dream is to get to the Caribbean some year, but I'm cheap enough that I don't want to spend mega bucks chasing my dream, which I realize might not actually happen. And really, I don't know why the Caribbean is stuck in my head-- I've never even been to the Bahamas in my own boat (but have chartered two times). If I'm never going to get to the Caribbean, and it's possible that I will not, then I agree the sailboat swap idea is probably a stupid one.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:26 AM   #46
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I probably need to go on a long offshore cruise in a sailboat to get this out of my system. ��
probably the quickest and cheapest fix....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #47
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
That's what I was thinking. I was wondering if the mast step was alredy in place.Pull that drawing back up that you had with all the rigging on it. I thought it looked pretty cool .
Old 08-17-2016, 08:33 AM   #48
Guru

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471440684.431789.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	55323

This was a drawing Tad did. I agree it looks cool, but I never found a builder. I had a buddy who was sort of interested, but he moved to NC to get away from my crazy ideas.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #49
TF Site Team

Quote:
Attachment 55323

This was a drawing Tad did. I agree it looked cool, but I never found a builder. I had a buddy who was sort of interested, but he moved to NC to get away from my crazy ideas.
Yep, I still like it . If your bored and looking for something to do this would be a cool project to take on. Texas is a big place somebody will want to do the fabricating .
Old 08-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #50

City: Matagorda Bay
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: 2005 Defever 44
CarDude,

Might a fellow sail addict offer a modified 10 step plan for your recovery.....

I too came from sail (6 boats from 14' to 41'), and currently searching for the perfect (for us) trawler. I knew I wouldn't be able to do without my occasional "sail fix" even while enjoying the age induced compromises of a more stable trawler type boat.So, when I sold our 1998 Beneteau 411 Marea (the last beautiful line boat they made IMO), I bought a nice little trailerable catboat with a folding mast that can be rigged and launched in 10 minutes.I use it in the local lakes and bays to maintain my sanity while continuing the hunt for our trawler.My intention is to also tow it behind the trawler to enjoy with grandkids as we anchor along the barrier islands between home (Matagorda Bay) and Port A....our sailing grounds for the last 30 years.

If your IP suits your needs as a trawler, why give up the $$$ and comfort just to get your sail fix?

Not to unapologetically hijack this thread, but if anyone out there along the gulf coast knows of a 10-15yo DeFever 44 or a DeFever 49CPMY owner that may have hinted at selling, please hook me up with them! I've scanned Yachtworld daily for the last couple years, so if it's listed, I already know about it....
greysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #51
Guru

Hey Greysailor,

I'm in Rockport so really close to you. Thanks for the thoughts and advice, and if I see one of those Defevers I will let you know.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #52
Guru

Think of that rig as a square master. You'd do awesome reaching or running with that rig.

Sometimes I am a little wistful for the silence of sailing.

Then I'm brought back to the view out the salon, the wide open view, 100 gl of fresh water, no heeling, the view out full size Windows, sitting above the waterline for dinner, the view. I'm happy with occasional sunfish forays to refresh my sailing time.

I'm planning a cat charter this march in BVI. Easier to fly to a boat for 10 days use than owning two boats.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #53
Guru

A cat charter in the BVIs is on our to do list. I think we are going to go in July with some sailing friends.

I was thinking about charting through LateSail. Have you ever used that service?
Old 08-17-2016, 09:32 AM   #54
Guru

Sailtmm.com
Old 08-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #55
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
What's the concern with "hearing the engine(s)?" I hear them when I fire them up, when I go to pee, when I grab a snack, and just before I shut them down. Other times I keep a watchful eye on the gauges. Seems quite enough for me. BTW, at our average ages we are lucky to even hear the engines.

When I had a sailboat I also used the term "motor sailing." Now that I'm on the dark side, I've come to understand that "motor sailing" is like being "a little bit pregnant."
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #56
TF Site Team

cardude ,
With this rig just think of all the shade rigging options you would have for the
Carribean .
Old 08-17-2016, 12:08 PM   #57
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
"Not to unapologetically hijack this thread, but if anyone out there along the gulf coast knows of a 10-15yo DeFever 44 or a DeFever 49CPMY owner that may have hinted at selling, please hook me up with them! I've scanned Yachtworld daily for the last couple years, so if it's listed, I already know about it...."

I know you said you know of all the DeFever's on yacht word but still I wonder if you talked with the Jay Bettis brokerage house in Kemah. He had a couple at his dock that looked pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #58
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
At $2/gal diesel, I want a fast boat.

At $5/gal, I go slow.

At $10/gal, I'm getting a raghauler.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:15 PM   #59
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

Quote:
Attachment 55323

This was a drawing Tad did. I agree it looks cool, but I never found a builder. I had a buddy who was sort of interested, but he moved to NC to get away from my crazy ideas.

I'm willing to bet that if you contracted with Tad Roberts he could find a rigger and fabricator that can pull that all together before Halloween. To me his design is far more aesthetically pleasing than the factory rig.

Besides, since when has boating been about adding value to anything besides your sanity?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:27 PM   #60
Guru

Yeah really, I don't know where I came up with that "added value" comment. 😂