Old 08-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #141
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Does anyone go from a trawler to sail?

Bob,

I understand. I've been to Galveston bay a few times on my boat and couldn't figure out where to cruise either. Coming into Clear Lake I did have to dodge tons of sailboats out day-sailing.

I kind of have the same problem you do down here in Rockport. We don't have that many interesting places to go either, but maybe more than you do. Most of my problem is we just don't use the boat enough. Wife is not that into it right now-- she has so much stuff going on during the week and most weekends that we don't have that much time. Or we are not making the time. So, I usually go down to the boat once a week and work on it, and cruise around sometimes, and make lists of what to work on next. 😂

I've thought about something like this to sail around on. Keep it here in town on the trailer. Ever seen one of these sail?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2012...s#.V8bwKDQ8KnM

cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:11 AM   #142

City: Jacksonville,Fl
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: Chien Hwa Senator 43
After having sailed for over 60 years both recreationally and for a living, there is a big part of me that misses that unique feeling of trimming sails and working with the weather that I have before me but there comes a time when the mind is still willing but the body refuses to follow. Making the transition to our Senator 43,I enjoy the creature comforts she brings to me but will always miss easing a sheet and just slip sliding away.

FredB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:33 AM   #143
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Having the boat close by is definitely an advantage. I like to get away and tinker, there's always something that could be improved. We live right by Lake Conroe so a small sailboat on a trailer (another Hobie) might cure the sailing itch, but still not the same has going out on the big water.
Oh well, just have to wait and see.
We may yet get around to do the loop.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #144
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredB View Post
After having sailed for over 60 years both recreationally and for a living, there is a big part of me that misses that unique feeling of trimming sails and working with the weather that I have before me but there comes a time when the mind is still willing but the body refuses to follow. Making the transition to our Senator 43,I enjoy the creature comforts she brings to me but will always miss easing a sheet and just slip sliding away.

I agree completely Fred. Sailing is an active process that I do miss. However, my back and knees don't miss it at all. If I lived in a different part of the world, I likely would have stuck to sail, but where I am, and at my point in life, power makes more sense.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:04 PM   #145
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
145 post and no one, that I noticed, has asked the question "Why the h*ll would anyone want to?" One can wax nostalgic about the calmness, serenity, enjoyment of fiddling with the strings and rags and back up to an engine BUT, and I think it's been mentioned more than once, just remember sitting in an unprotected cockpit for 8 hours in a gale, soaked to the skin and longing for a hot bath.
Seriously people. You want calmness and serenity? Take up yogic meditation. You like fiddling with strings and rags? Take up sewing/knitting. Save on fuel? How much does a set of sails cost? I'll bet more than 5000 gallons of diesel.
Sorry, just don't see the attraction. No room. Cave dwelling. No level surfaces. Yup, a sailboat WILL take much heavier weather than the majority of power boats but...
National Weather Service among a plethora of others.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:21 PM   #146
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
HAHA RT,
I enjoyed your sorta negative post and can comment.

I/we may actually go from a trawler to a sailboat .. If I'm not too old when we sell Willy. For years I've been looking (not actively) giving the McGreggor 26 a passing thought. I really like OB's and the variable displacement feature appeals to me tremendously. I like my Willard 30 for many reasons. But a 15 knot cruise it does not have. Also another biggie is the moorage bill every month and the trailerability is golden. The open cockpit could be enclosed and a Wabasto could supply some warmth.

But this is not a typical trawler to a typical sailboat. So though I would actually go from a trawler to a sailboat I'm probably not addressing the OP's question ... to his liking . Sorry. Is that you RT?

OH I see it's cardude and he talks of going from an air conditioned trawler obviously not very much like Willy. But perhaps after our fall cruising I'll call on some advertised McGreggors and see if I find a trade in posibility. A California gent that I really like wants to part trade his Nexus 22' OB. I'm only luke warm on that.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:41 PM   #147
Guru

Eric,

You would be going from what appears to be a very nice boat (although slow) to an outboard boat with an mast. If you want to go to a sailboat, pick a boat that was designed to actually sail reasonably well.

Not that I'm biased or anything... ;-)

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-31-2016, 05:46 PM   #148
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Surely you must be joking. McGreggors? Might as well consider a Seagull kicker for it to really enjoy personal endurance
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:08 PM   #149
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Eric,

You would be going from what appears to be a very nice boat (although slow) to an outboard boat with an mast. If you want to go to a sailboat, pick a boat that was designed to actually sail reasonably well.

What he said!
Sailing in a boat that performs well is a joy...
Anything else is like comparing a Twinkie to a French croissant!
Just my .02 cents
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:24 PM   #150
Guru

Dave, foggy and Bruce B,
Well I misled ya'll quite seriously .. sorry.
Don't know if you sailors are ready for this but I'd probably not sail the McGreggor at all or very little if I kept the rig. May take the whole rig mast sails and all off and substitute a much shorter mast for a very short rig good only as a steadying sail or get me home. I would rig it as a motor sailer very heavy on the motor. I don't have any interest in sailing boats over 20' and then only light boats. A Star may be fun but the keel is too much trouble. I love to row and paddling is OK .. sailing not so much.

And foggy I have no use for the Seagull OB's. I have a 60hp Suzuki that would be perfect for the McGreggor.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:36 PM   #151
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Dave, foggy and Bruce B,
Well I misled ya'll quite seriously .. sorry.
Don't know if you sailors are ready for this but I'd probably not sail the McGreggor at all or very little if I kept the rig. May take the whole rig mast sails and all off and substitute a much shorter mast for a very short rig good only as a steadying sail or get me home. I would rig it as a motor sailer very heavy on the motor. I don't have any interest in sailing boats over 20' and then only light boats. A Star may be fun but the keel is too much trouble. I love to row and paddling is OK .. sailing not so much.

And foggy I have no use for the Seagull OB's. I have a 60hp Suzuki that would be perfect for the McGreggor.
When we where building our Sabre, there was a man building one of their 426 sailboats who came to the factory to see it being built. He asked them if he could simply delete the rig as he would never sail it anyway!
I think he was serious...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #152

City: Union, WA
Vessel Name: Touch of Grey
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I will let you know in 10 days or so how it goes when making the transition. We bought our Nordic Tug last year with the thought that we might get old someday. We decided to keep our Catalina 36.
So, we just spent 30 days on the Nordic. Tomorrow, about 0530, we will head back to Canada in the Catalina. It's going to be interesting.
bcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:04 PM   #153
Guru

Catalina 36 is, I believe, the most successful production sailboat of its type in the world. Great boat. I still miss mine.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-04-2016, 04:04 AM   #154

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
Yes, and I miss our C36 too, hull number 2015 I think it was. Ahh,, fond memories.

Btw, we finally made it to FIJI. Will be exploring Fiji for a month, then onto NZ.
Bruce - Aitutaki was awesome,, our latest post is up - as of this afternoon.
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:23 AM   #155
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Eric,

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Surely you must be joking. McGreggors? Might as well consider a Seagull kicker for it to really enjoy personal endurance
Hey, guys, before you stomp all over Eric's idea of the MacGregor 26, water ballasted trailer yacht, I would suggest a re-think, and consider the points I myself posted earlier on this thread re this same vessel Eric is referring to...to wit

Post 82, P 5...

....now there is a nice MacGregor 26 trailer yacht for sale right here at our marina, just to rub it in. Because thanks to the fact that model uses water ballast, so, it can not only be roomier than the yacht we had, but it is much lighter to trail, but then once in the water, one can either take on ballast and sail, or drop the water ballast and actually plane at 20kn, because of the much more powerful 50hp outboard they now use on these, compared to the 8hp ones we used to use.
The pic is our Gazelle 26 we had in NZ. The link is to a Macgregor.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-fo...=0&pss=Premium

Because unless anyone on here has personal experience of using a decent sized trailer yacht, you can't really appreciate the sheer practicality of being able to drop your ballast at the ramp, drop the mast, and take what has now become your mobile camper trailer, and go inland, or up or down the coast, to any cruising area you fancied, much faster and more cheaply re fuel than in any larger power boat, and the maintenance savings of never having to anti foul is not to be sneezed at either.

So don't you listen to them Eric. I can absolutely understand your angle, and unlike the naysayers, I have owned a 26' trailer yacht for 5 years, back when the kids were young. When they got older the larger trawler style was great, but, now they have grown up and gone...?
Cruising, when you want to at ~ 20kn...or going slower and more economically under sail has certain attractions.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #156

City: Union, WA
Vessel Name: Touch of Grey
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcam View Post
I will let you know in 10 days or so how it goes when making the transition. We bought our Nordic Tug last year with the thought that we might get old someday. We decided to keep our Catalina 36.
So, we just spent 30 days on the Nordic. Tomorrow, about 0530, we will head back to Canada in the Catalina. It's going to be interesting.
So we headed north last Thursday. 15 minutes into the trip, the auopilot packed it in. After a couple of hours hand steering I had a list of 15 or so reasons the Nordic Tug was the better boat.

8 days later, we leave Cadboro Bay for Seattle. Six hours of motoring in dense fog and five hours of fighting foul current after the fog. A pretty good test of the boat and our patience.

And the current vote is sell the tug and buy a larger sailboat. Some people are simply not cut out for power boating, it seems. I'm not sure how fast it will happen, but the day is coming. Maybe when it's time, there will be some sailor on TF who is looking to make the move.

Bruce
bcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:51 PM   #157
Guru

Thank's Peter,
Not shopping .. yet .. as we're about ready to take Willy out for perhaps several weeks.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:33 PM   #158
Veteran Member

City: Renton
Vessel Model: 1981 Hardin Sedan 42
Having just recently moved from sail to trawler. There are many thing I will miss from sailing. Like going out in the afternoon to go no where but just to sail. My last boat was a very nice Catalina 36. I had 3 trailer sail boats on the way up to the C 36 including a macgregor 26. The Mac does have a lot going for it. We took ours to desolation sound, yellow stone lake and many places the c36 would never see. It does have issues with storage. You can carry 12 gallons of gas. All drinking water is in jugs. No anchor locker. But it does sail nice. And in the northwest current can be an issue. This little boat can get through current and then go anchor in 3 ft of water. Willy you mention adding a heater. Not sure where you would put the desiel. You would be better off with a propane unit.

Mach_cat is offline   Reply With Quote