Does anyone go from a trawler to sail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still have my trailer sailer, a Hunter 23.5 sitting in my back yard. When we're done with the loop we may go back to sail either with a larger boat or just keeping the Hunter. If I need a sailing fix, I can rig the Hunter and just take off. I think there are lots of folks who came to trawlers via sail and most remember it fondly. I do.

Kevin

Jsta Rebel >> welcome to Trawler Forum!

Bruce K >> we depart Rarotonga for Aitutaki this afternoon!! :thumb:

I'll be uploading our Rarotonga / Aitutaki experience to our website once we arrive in TONGA, perhaps in two weeks from now.

Ya know, I just registered on this forum today because of the excellent information I got from Forklift's post about adjusting valves on an SP 135 Lehman. This is the first thread I've read, and gotta tell you all that I've been missing out on a great forum.

Eleven years ago I couldn't decide between buying a trawler or a sailboat. The sailboats just didn't have enough room, but since I was going to be living throughout the Caribbean, I wanted to realize my dream of sailing in the Caribbean. Then I ran across a Marine Trader IT40 Motorsailer and fell in love. Set up like a trawler inside with a helm in the cockpit and down below out of the weather. Lots of storage and high sides that make me feel safe. I also liked having a second means of propulsion which I have used on a few occasions including when we lost our gear and ended up sailing from Providenciales TCI to Puerto Rico. It is to me and my wife the best of both worlds. The sailing forums are not as open to motorsailers and the beauty of having a trawler that sails as you all seem to be on this forum. I'm posting from my phone, but I will load up pictures of our adventures here and our boat in a day or so, and thanks for making me feel welcome here.

Welcome! Looking forward to your photos.

You guys are killing me here!

1. CLEARLY, my driver is a bit on the light side (physically, not mentally)

2. Obviously this Achilles is designed for a MUCH larger engine than that puny 2HP Honda.

3. The tubes appear to be under-inflated.

(That's all I've got at this time, Your Honor. Defense rests.)

Thanks To Ted and Bruce for their attempts to salvage my honor.

Here's a shot from a half hour later. Looks like the dinghy is even more deflated than before. Thankfully, they were mindful enough to put on their beer belts!:popcorn:

Attachments

• beer belts.jpg
    beer belts.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 66
A fine example of Achilles heel.

Brilliant repartee Bruce..!

I have to agree they are sedate, even compared to my old 4hp Merc, but I just love the air-cooled 4 stroke Honda, because it is so light to lift on and off, starts almost first pull every time, even after quite long periods of non-use, and best of all needs no flushing. Being air-cooled you can even do a check start-up up on the deck rail mount before putting it on the dink, just to be sure it will go 1st pull once in the water. Love it. :D

Sorry, thread hijack over, but you guys started it. Oh, and Al and Mark need to get a bigger boat - now where did I hear that phrase before..? Oh, and yeah...have you guys heard of the 5:2..? :lol:

Here's a shot from a half hour later. Looks like the dinghy is even more deflated than before. Thankfully, they were mindful enough to put on their beer belts!:popcorn:

Ha! That's the biggest fish I've caught all month!

Thank God for beer belt PFDs. They make falling overboard a much more pleasant experience. :eek: :facepalm: :D

Does that mean the more we drink beer, the better we'll float?

I don't think so! :nonono:
However as you "take on the contents" I've heard your
perceptions can differ vastly from what other people
think. :lol::lol:

Ted

.... Being air-cooled you can even do a check start-up up on the deck rail mount before putting it on the dink, just to be sure it will go 1st pull once in the water....

Just a quick FYI. Although you are correct in that the engine will not overheat if run out of water, there is a driveshaft bushing that will self destruct if deprived of water for lubrication. Be careful....
Bruce

Lol yea. Because they are made of wood! ?

Just a quick FYI. Although you are correct in that the engine will not overheat if run out of water, there is a driveshaft bushing that will self destruct if deprived of water for lubrication. Be careful....
Bruce

Good point, but I mean only enough to be sure the motor is firing, and of course one does not rev it enough to rotate the gears, as there is no clutch other than centrifugal.

I always hear about folks coming from sail over to the "darkside", but has anyone ever successfully done the reverse? Can one go from an air conditioned and heated pilothouse to an open cockpit and survive the change?

Sometimes I get bored cruising the ICW, and wonder if I would be happier fiddling with lines and tweaking sails (and getting wet). :eek: I've only sailed small boats like Hobie Cats and never a big boat, so of course I don't really know what I'm talking about.

If you are itching for more hands on sailing, travel to the nearest docks that have seasonal sailboat races. They are ALWAYS looking for crew. You don't have to be athletic to trim a jib. Anyone and everyone is welcome. Get your fill of the sailing environment and at the end of the race day go sip a cold beer in the comfort of your trawler. Best of both worlds.

WE went from sail to power to run the loop and a few other trips.

Happily the sail is still in our yard , so this winter we will probably be putting the launch on the market and returning to our 90/90.

Think of that rig as a square master. You'd do awesome reaching or running with that rig.

Sometimes I am a little wistful for the silence of sailing.

Then I'm brought back to the view out the salon, the wide open view, 100 gl of fresh water, no heeling, the view out full size Windows, sitting above the waterline for dinner, the view. I'm happy with occasional sunfish forays to refresh my sailing time.

I'm planning a cat charter this march in BVI. Easier to fly to a boat for 10 days use than owning two boats.

You can have the salon, the wide open view, the 100 gallon water tank, the view out full size windows, and sitting above the waterline for dinner with a motorsailer. As a bonus, you get back up propulsion and a good stablizer system. Perhaps not the sailing performance that some sailboats have, but you can always fire up the diesel as well.

Going to look at that Beneteau with my wife today. I will defer to her impression of the living spaces and the open cockpit seating while underway. I'm learning! ?

" Perhaps not the sailing performance that some sailboats have,"

Most sailboats are actually sailing auxiliaries , which with engine and prop do not have the performance of a "pure" sail boat.

Living in the hull can be very pleasant with a Great Cabin Aft design

10 windows 8 opening allows good cross ventilation and 270 deg of view.

What was a motor sailor ,,a 50/50 with many compromises,, is no longer required.

Hence the 90/90 .

The biggest downside is 54ft air draft , required for good sailing performance , but a PIA in an ICW transit.

Ok Fred, that's it. What the heck, exactly, is a 90/90? Google is no help whatsoever.

Good luck boat shopping cardude

Ok Fred, that's it. What the heck, exactly, is a 90/90? Google is no help whatsoever.

Good luck boat shopping cardude

I think it is 90% of the boat that you want to use for your purposes 90% of the time...or something like that.

Could be Baker... But as he mentioned the air-draft issue I'd like to know what his is.

B this is my idea of a 50-50

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471969618.592685.jpg

Originally motorsailers were termed 50/50, 30/70, 60/40 etc depending on their ratio of
motor boat to power boat.

From what I've read/heard, a 90/90 supposedly does 90% of a motor vessel does, and 90% of a a sail vessel does. Somehow the ratio idea was lost in the equation.

FF may correct me on this though.

Math teacher?
Bruce

Wifey B: No, but it's like the old line, you have two items for sale, one for $5 and one for $8. So, the customer asks what the difference is. The smarta.. like me says, $3. :)

Just 90/90 as a ratio makes no sense. But then I guess until you know it neither does 20/20.

No, not a math teacher. Hubby is the math guru. He and Jenn are like human calculators.

I use the 50-50, 90-10 rule.

Which is; when given a 50-50 choice, there is a 90% chance I will get it wrong.

Grocery store lines verify this theory on a repetitive basis.

Back
Top Bottom