Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #61
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,056
Does anyone go from a trawler to sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I'm willing to bet that if you contracted with Tad Roberts he could find a rigger and fabricator that can pull that all together before Halloween. To me his design is far more aesthetically pleasing than the factory rig.

I agree. It looks better than the factory rig.

If it could be done that quickly and without much effort from me, and at a reasonable cost I might do it.

However (as dhays reminded me), this rig doesn't make my boat a sailboat. This rig was designed for stability with the paravanes, and the sails were really for "get home" purposes only although they might add a little speed underway.
__________________
Advertisement

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #62
Guru
 
Northern Spy's Avatar
 
City: Powell River, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,607
I'll jump on the "do it" bandwagon early.

Do it.
__________________

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #63
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5,034
Silly question, but do you think that the proposed rig would actually provide any realistic motive power to the boat? I can see it helping to make the ride more comfortable in a sea, but I just can't see it actually being able to sail the boat.

Seem to me that if you want a boat that will sail, then buy a sailboat, or a well designed motorsailor.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #64
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,056
That rig is really just a "get home" rig, but it might add a knot underway I think he said.

So yeah, not really a sailboat.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #65
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Country: USA
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Yeah really, I don't know where I came up with that "added value" comment. 😂
Yeah I figure we spend 5 to 7 k per year just to keep our "DREAM" alive .
__________________
Marty
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #66
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
not really a sailboat.

Who said it has to be?

Mark Pierce gets as much if not more satisfaction with his Coot than any two other boaters I know. His sail rig adds perhaps 1/2 a knot downwind but guess what, he doesn't care. Playing with the laundry once in a while is all he cares to do and brings him joy. It looks cool and puts a smile on his face is all that matters.

Besides all the sailors and ex sailors up thread just told you they mainly motorsailed anyway.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #67
Guru
 
healhustler's Avatar
 
City: Longboat Key, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I'm willing to bet that if you contracted with Tad Roberts he could find a rigger and fabricator that can pull that all together before Halloween. To me his design is far more aesthetically pleasing than the factory rig.
Plus one here, although I know that Cardude really likes the "equipped" look. I proposed this shrimper setup, but he was concerned about shading his solar panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill's Shrimper 2. wide.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	55326  
__________________
Larry

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #68
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,056
I do like the tires however. 👍
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:38 PM   #69
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Yeah really, I don't know where I came up with that "added value" comment. 😂
I think chartering and then finding out if that increases or diminishes your desire is a good idea. Or maybe it fulfills your need and you decide doing that periodically makes you happy.

Now, as to your saying that what you're thinking doesn't make sense, nothing about boating does. The moment one tries to justify any of the financial investment it's a losing cause. Better to simply ask if you can afford to do something, but all of boating is a money losing proposition.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:43 PM   #70
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,056
Yeah I struggle with the financial irresponsibility of big boat boating from time to time. I am usually pretty penurious, so it's a hard habit to break. I'm working on it.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #71
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
...

Mark Pierce gets as much if not more satisfaction with his Coot than any two other boaters I know. His sail rig adds perhaps 1/2 a knot downwind but guess what, he doesn't care. Playing with the laundry once in a while is all he cares to do and brings him joy. It looks cool and puts a smile on his face is all that matters. ...
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:15 PM   #72
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Yeah I struggle with the financial irresponsibility of big boat boating from time to time. I am usually pretty penurious, so it's a hard habit to break. I'm working on it.
Most of the pleasurable things we do in life are costly. Just a simple thing like going to a concert. Ultimately, it's how we want to use the dollars and time we have available. We have two limited resources to consider. If I wanted to sail more then I'd have to do less of something and I don't have anything I want to give up for that.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #73
Guru
 
BobH's Avatar
 
City: Montgomery, TX
Country: USA
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 778
We are presently trying to sell our trawler type boat and get back into a sailboat. We lived aboard a sailboat for six years and spent half that time cruising. Full cockpit enclosure kept the weather at bay. Summers we either spent in a marina or somewhere cool like Maine. Our main gripe with the power boat is the noise and constant need to be looking for the next fuel dock. Yes, we did motor quite a bit but it was not anywhere near as noisy and our NMPG was a whole lot better.
Coming back from cruising we ended up in Clearwater, FL, and decided to head back to Galveston so we took off across the Gulf, can't do that in our current boat. Another time coming back we left out of Mobile Bay and headed back to Galveston, no ICW at all.
Besides that, a power boat is boring, there is nothing to do, set the throttles and go along for the ride, no sails to trim or change or constantly tweak.
Maybe it's just us,
Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #74
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,005
I kinda feel sorry for those sailboaters we pass exposed to the elements while putt-putting along, having to work at every tack. It just looks like such hard work to go so slow in such little creature comfort. And when you go below, you're really below. Don't expect to look out the ports for a view. It ain't there.

Give me my 7.5 Kt pseudo-trawler at 3.2 gph and the ability to travel in straight lines in comfort, ease and efficiency. If I need less engine noise and a fresh breeze at the helm, I can solve that with a climb of the ladder to the flybridge.

If my only choice of boating was to do it in a tube boat with tiny windows, an open cockpit and many yards of dacron to haul and control while zigzagging to my destination, I'd find another passion. Even bowling sounds like more fun than that!!

I've been onboard for 10 days so far and have remained anchored in a favorite spot for the last 4. My 3 doors and all hatches and ports are open. No bugs to speak of, no need for AC with temps into the high 50s at night. I'm sitting in the comfort of my salon watching the wildlife around me as I contemplate my dinghy trash run to the local marina less than a mile away. It's sometimes hard to tell when the outside world stops and the inside of the boat starts. That's what I need in a boat.

Here's a short video I made yesterday of my Secret Cove.

__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #75
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
We are presently trying to sell our trawler type boat and get back into a sailboat. We lived aboard a sailboat for six years and spent half that time cruising. Full cockpit enclosure kept the weather at bay. Summers we either spent in a marina or somewhere cool like Maine. Our main gripe with the power boat is the noise and constant need to be looking for the next fuel dock. Yes, we did motor quite a bit but it was not anywhere near as noisy and our NMPG was a whole lot better.
Coming back from cruising we ended up in Clearwater, FL, and decided to head back to Galveston so we took off across the Gulf, can't do that in our current boat. Another time coming back we left out of Mobile Bay and headed back to Galveston, no ICW at all.
Besides that, a power boat is boring, there is nothing to do, set the throttles and go along for the ride, no sails to trim or change or constantly tweak.
Maybe it's just us,
Bob
I understand the appeal Bob. I miss sailing. However, I must admit that my power boat is much quieter than my sailboat under power, and as quiet as my sailboat in a moderate breeze.

I am a "fiddler". I love to fiddle with stuff. Sailing is great for that. So far, I have NOT been bored with the power boat. We'll see what happens over time.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #76
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,056
Does anyone go from a trawler to sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I kinda feel sorry for those sailboaters we pass exposed to the elements while putt-putting along, having to work at every tack. It just looks like such hard work to go so slow in such little creature comfort. And when you go below, you're really below. Don't expect to look out the ports for a view. It ain't there.

Give me my 7.5 Kt pseudo-trawler at 3.2 gph and the ability to travel in straight lines in comfort, ease and efficiency. If I need less engine noise and a fresh breeze at the helm, I can solve that with a climb of the ladder to the flybridge.

If my only choice of boating was to do it in a tube boat with tiny windows, an open cockpit and many yards of dacron to haul and control while zigzagging to my destination, I'd find another passion. Even bowling sounds like more fun than that!!

I've been onboard for 10 days so far and have remained anchored in a favorite spot for the last 4. My 3 doors and all hatches and ports are open. No bugs to speak of, no need for AC with temps into the high 50s at night. I'm sitting in the comfort of my salon watching the wildlife around me as I contemplate my dinghy trash run to the local marina less than a mile away. It's sometimes hard to tell when the outside world stops and the inside of the boat starts. That's what I need in a boat.

Here's a short video I made yesterday of my Secret Cove.


Damn, you drive that dingy like a fighter pilot. 😀. What engine do you have on that thing?

You make good points.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:29 PM   #77
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I understand the appeal Bob. I miss sailing. However, I must admit that my power boat is much quieter than my sailboat under power, and as quiet as my sailboat in a moderate breeze.

I am a "fiddler". I love to fiddle with stuff. Sailing is great for that. So far, I have been bored with the power boat. We'll see what happens over time.

You are already bored with your power boat?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
City: Seattle
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The couple that I bought my trawler from had been long time sailors. They switched to power, he enjoyed it but his wife missed sailing. So, they sold the Monk to me and were buying another sailboat.
The couple we purchased our boat from were lifelong sailors, but when they turned 80 they couldn't handle a sailboat physically. So they purchased the Sabreline and boated another decade.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #79
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
You are already bored with your power boat?
Typing error on my part. Corrected above. I have definitely not been bored yet. Very much the opposite. After spending 2 1/2 weeks on the boat during vacation, I can't wait to get out on the boat again and felt that way the first day back.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:19 PM   #80
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,056
I didn't think you were bored. Figured that was a typo.
__________________

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012