documented vessel dingy registration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amelia Rose

Vessel Name
Amelia Rose
Vessel Make
California 34
Does anyone know the rules as to weather or not you need to register your dingy if your vessel is documented? I understand that there is a possibility that you can just write tender too T/T followed by the boat name in place of the CF#'s. Any input would be appreciated.

Depends on the state, the size and power of the dingy. Most states view it as a separate boat.

Ted

The states I operate in state if it is a power vessel it will have to be state registered.

Mechanically powered or with sails on an 8-foot-or-longer dinghy and you'll need to register it here. Google your state's boating laws. Registration free:

232323232%7Ffp54358%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D395872%3C7%3C7336nu0mrj

Last edited:
If you are cruising in different states you will need to be registered even if your home state does not require the tender to be registered. The state you are visiting will require registration.

Also the exception in some states for a tender applies only when you are going directly from your documented / registered vessel to shore. If you are using the tender for snorkling, beaching etc the exemption may not apply.

If you are cruising in different states you will need to be registered even if your home state does not require the tender to be registered. The state you are visiting will require registration.

Also the exception in some states for a tender applies only when you are going directly from your documented / registered vessel to shore. If you are using the tender for snorkling, beaching etc the exemption may not apply.

:thumb: agreed

Also, the bad guys know when you're not on your boat because the dink will be tied to the bar's dinghy dock with Amelia Rose tattooed on it!

In WA you can do the "TT to....." thing, but then you're restricted in using it to go only from the boat to shore. No joyriding.

It only costs me about $25 to register my 2010 Boston Whaler, and we trailer it to distant lakes, so I register it as a separate boat.

Since you're in California, it's basically what Mark said. Here's the quote from the state's website:

Generally, every sail-powered vessel over eight feet in length and every motor-driven vessel (regardless of length) that is not documented by the U.S. Coast Guard which is used or on the waters of this state are subject to registration by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The vessel must be located in California.

The exception in California is a documented vessel, which of course your dingy isn't.

Every state is different. Florida it is:

Vessels exempt from registration include: non-motor powered vessel less than 16 feet in length, and any non-powered canoe, kayak, racing shell, or rowing scull, regardless of length; vessels used exclusively on private lakes
and ponds;

So Florida is similar to California but slight differences. Also Florida does require registration of documented vessels.

Now I also agree with the other advice on registration in those states that have "tender exemptions." Sometime, somewhere, not registering will come to haunt you. For instance, bring that tender into Florida. Well, Florida exempts boats registered in other states and in Florida less than 90 days. So, you would not be exempt and would be required to register it in Florida. Although minor on a dingy, that would also mean paying use taxes.

Interesting thread,

Over the past 30 years I have had (1) inflatable dink registered.

I have boated in California (10 yrs) and had 2 different 10' zodiacs. Cruised most of the island groups in the S.Pac. for a couple years. And been in Washington and Oregon for the past 20 years and have had 4 different inflatables.. so I have registered 1 in 6. Legal?.. I guess not. I have been stopped and boarded a few times and no questions have ever been raised about the dinks.

As a side note we use them a lot.. but they have ALL been based off the big boats and have been used as "tenders".

I guess I should be a good citizen and register the damn things but I guess it is my small way to "stick it to the man".
I even had one impounded by the notorious San Diego harbor police and got it back no questions asked about the registration.

HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD
Since you opened the door..... Do tell how you managed to get a dink impounded.

Can someone explain the difference between registering a boat or documenting a boat. The advantageous and disadvantages. Thank you. Pattyshades

Can someone explain the difference between registering a boat or documenting a boat. The advantageous and disadvantages. Thank you. Pattyshades

There are a number of threads on this in the archives if you are willing to search them out.

Registering is a state thing and is generally required, Documenting is a federal thing and is not required, at least not for boats like most of us have. If you do a lot of international cruising, particularly south (Canada sensibly doesn't care) having a documented boat can make life a whole lot easier when it comes to entering another country.

Documenting puts the owner on a permanent federal registry, which means that if one is buying a boat that has been documented in the past it's easy to find out who the owners are. Sort of like the title search with a house.

I believe there are some states where, if your boat is documented, you don't have to register it with the state. In this state (WA) everyone has to register their boat but if it's documented the owner does not have to display the state registration number on the outside of the boat. He or she does, however, have to display the annual state registration sticker showing that the annual registration fee has been paid.

As to the OP's question, I believe in this state the requirement to register a boat's dinghy (or any small watercraft) is tied to the power of the engine and the length of the boat.

Well, first this is a US concept, not worldwide. In other countries what we call Documenting a boat is often called registering.

In the US, Registration is a process of recording it with the state. It's very similar to registering a car. It works fine for relatively small boats. They're sold, transferred and financed much like cars are. May have very similar titles.

However, larger boats have some factors that required development of documentation. Those used for commercial purposes are required to meet and comply with USCG standards. Also, larger boats tend to travel to other countries more. While registration is acceptable to most countries, it may not be to all and difficult to explain to those not use to it. Then comes one of the keys. Mortgages. Boats cost considerably more than cars, so when financed need mortgages that work more like house and property mortgages than car loans. They need to be recorded in a national form as well to make it more difficult for theft by the owner or anyone else. It provides greater title assurance.

Some states require documented boats still to be registered while others do not.

If you finance a boat over 5 net tons (and that is tons by volume, not displacement) you will be required by most any lender to document it.

One other quirk is that boats can only be documented in the US if wholly owned by a US citizen. Now, there are workarounds with LLC's and Corporations but that's a very different and complex topic and does entail risk. So, a non-citizen generally will just register the boat or will document it in another country.

HOLLYWOOD
Since you opened the door..... Do tell how you managed to get a dink impounded.

The Admiral and I spent the day in San Diego doing museums and shopping.. we chained the dink to a piling offthe beach at Mariners Cove close to the SDYC. There happened to be a large concrete storm drain next to the pipe so one could walk up to the beach and plainly read the sign that said " No landing of dinghy's on beach".. which the boat never touched the beach.. splitting hairs but it was never on the beach. Had to walk all the way to the end of Shelter island to the Police dock (where the big boat was tied up by the way). The officer at the desk got a bit miffed when I started to get very insistent that I never "landed the dinghy on the beach" but pointed out it was tied up and floating and that they now also owed me a new lock!.
I was told to go get my dinghy and not do it again.. they never questioned the registration.
Other than that small brush with the infamous SDHP they have always been most helpful and polite.. I never looked to see if they reworded the sign
HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD

That definitely sounds like my logic as well. And your Admiral promptly threw you in the Brig I bet. Because I know mine would. :)

One small advantage to documentation is when you report sea time for a MMC. The owner is "known" to the USCG, as is the tonnage.

My vessel is 37 tons. You are qualified at 150% of the primary sea time, which (for me) was 50.5 tons, therefor my 100 ton license is qualified in the 50-100 range and is not de-rated.

One small advantage to documentation is when you report sea time for a MMC. The owner is "known" to the USCG, as is the tonnage.

My vessel is 37 tons. You are qualified at 150% of the primary sea time, which (for me) was 50.5 tons, therefor my 100 ton license is qualified in the 50-100 range and is not de-rated.

Very important to note. Our first "100 Ton Master" was actually 25 Ton Inland. I had 1862 sea days but only 40 were coastal and only 60 were coastal and only 20 were over 25 tons. So I had 25 Ton Inland for about nine months, then 50 Ton Near Coastal about 6 months, then 100 ton Near Coastal about 6 months, then 200 Ton Near Coastal. Still working toward next step. But at the start I had to prove all the boats I'd operated on the lake really existed and I was the owner. Not all that easy for a boat you traded nearly 20 years ago and was only registered in NC.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom