Dockwa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems like it would be a good utility in a competitive market with more slips than boats.

It would be a pain for markets that have more boats than slips.

As BC is the latter, I don't see it making much headway except in the high end markets which already have premium pricing.

First come, first serve still fills the harbour and you don't have to share profits with an app company.

Seems like it would be a good utility in a competitive market with more slips than boats.

It would be a pain for markets that have more boats than slips.

As BC is the latter, I don't see it making much headway except in the high end markets which already have premium pricing.

First come, first serve still fills the harbour and you don't have to share profits with an app company.
Dockwa does not charge a fee for the service. Only a very reasonable credit card transaction fee which you would be paying to whatever clearing House you use to process your credit card transactions currently.

Also to note, Marinas that sign up for Dockwa are NOT required to run the transaction through their system. The Marina can still take a reservation however they like, and accept any form of payment (cash, check, wire transfer, Bitcoin, etc.)

Ok, I have to rant. I spend my career helping to create the computer revolution over the past several decades, and there are times I look back and think “OMG what have we done”.

Computers are an awesome tool, but they are there to assist humans, not be humans. We have completely lost sight of this, and are trying to automate everything, and it’s a HUGH mistake. Cortana, forking Alexa, forking Siri. Just stop. It’s torture talking to some disconnecting call agent who can barely understand you, and who you can barely understand, and now we think some AI piece of shirt is the answer?

There are just some things better done by people. Companies talk about wanting to have a “relationship” with their customers. Well, start by sending a forking person to talk to me. That, after all, is the definition of a relationship. When I call a company and a computer answers the phone, it tells me that I, as a customer, am not worthy of a person, only a machine. Well fork you. And when your machine just wastes my time trying to keep me from taking up the time of your employees, well, fork you. If you want a relationship, and care about me as a customer, answer the forking phone, and show you forking care.

Sorry, only slightly relevant to the topic, but this ever increasing distance between supplier and customer I think is bad, not good

Ok, I have to rant. I spend my career helping to create the computer revolution over the past several decades, and there are times I look back and think “OMG what have we done”.

Computers are an awesome tool, but they are there to assist humans, not be humans. We have completely lost sight of this, and are trying to automate everything, and it’s a HUGH mistake. Cortana, forking Alexa, forking Siri. Just stop. It’s torture talking to some disconnecting call agent who can barely understand you, and who you can barely understand, and now we think some AI piece of shirt is the answer?

There are just some things better done by people. Companies talk about wanting to have a “relationship” with their customers. Well, start by sending a forking person to talk to me. That, after all, is the definition of a relationship. When I call a company and a computer answers the phone, it tells me that I, as a customer, am not worthy of a person, only a machine. Well fork you. And when your machine just wastes my time trying to keep me from taking up the time of your employees, well, fork you. If you want a relationship, and care about me as a customer, answer the forking phone, and show you forking care.

Sorry, only slightly relevant to the topic, but this ever increasing distance between supplier and customer I think is bad, not good

Interesting, I agree with what you said. Also, as an aside, when recently looking for an F-150 truck, we signed up to be contacted by stealerships in our area. One which instantly sent us an e-mail was represented by "Cassandra", picture and everything. I called the dealership, asked to speak to "Cassandra" since "she" was the sales person who contacted me . . . . I was routed to Steve, but stated that since the contact had been initiated by "Cassandra" I felt obligated to deal with her first . . . I was told later on in the process that "Cassandra" didn't exist, She was an AI, just a name and a pic that some think tank probably came up with that resulted in a higher number of return calls . . . didn't buy from them anyway, hard to establish a rapport when the relationship starts on a falsehood in my book.:whistling:

...One which instantly sent us an e-mail was represented by "Cassandra", picture and everything. I called the dealership, asked to speak to "Cassandra" since "she" was the sales person who contacted me . . . . I was routed to Steve, but stated that since the contact had been initiated by "Cassandra" I felt obligated to deal with her first . . . I was told later on in the process that "Cassandra" didn't exist, She was an AI, just a name and a pic that some think tank probably came up with that resulted in a higher number of return calls . . . didn't buy from them anyway, hard to establish a rapport when the relationship starts on a falsehood in my book.:whistling:

Did they ever say anywhere that "Cassandra" WAS a real person? Maybe you jumped to a conclusion that you shouldn't have.

I would expect that unless you know for sure otherwise, any interaction via a computer has a high probability of being AI of some sort. If nothing else, it can just be an automated email reply.

IMO, as long as you get what you want out if the interaction (e.g. customer service problem resolved, new truck, whatever) what difference does it make if you are communicating with a live human being or not?

Given a choice between an overworked exhausted minimum wage human and a computer, I vote for the computer. For instance at Home Depot, I always choose self checkout, the same at the grocery store: at least I can ensure that my stuff is bagged correctly!

My cut is that Dockwa works great much of the time I need a reservation for a place several days in advance when I have time to find out answers to my questions.

If I need those answers in the very near term because weather, tides, etc for that day are forcing my hand..then direct contact seems to work better.

Like phone trees when you call a place...if your problem isn't self explanatory or hit a given option...you wind up talking to a representative anyhow.... If your problem fits the template...you breeze through without human intervention.

So far my Dockwa experiences are 66.6% smooth, 33.4% I wind up calling.

Unless it does now, or until I can go live on that app/website and get answers.... I still usually just call the marina if making resevations within a day or so of needing them.

Last edited:

Ref your rant :)

Ref situation, agree. :(

-Chris

As a businessman, I 100% agree. The only way to protect your customer base is outstanding service and that starts with customer interaction and building relationships. Read reviews of successful brick and mortar businesses and they mention names of those people who were really helpful to them.

Old method, "Hello, how may I help you?" You say and they send you to the right person if it's not them.

New method, a phone tree that ends up without a choice for your need and then you on hold for a live person.

Old school (and I'm not old), I never went home with any voice mails or emails I hadn't returned.

New school surveys show 20-40% of voice mails never returned. New school surveys show 20-40% of emails not responded to and 10% never read.

A couple of our policies and practices.
-We consider it a problem if anyone ever waits more than 30 seconds for a live person.
-We consider it a problem if more than 1% of calls go to voice mail.
-We consider it a problem if any voice mail isn't returned within two hours.
-Our stores take orders online but then a store employee pulls your order and calls you (or emails if you request that instead of a call), gives you their name, tells them they're packing your item now and it will go out to you today and suggests another item that goes well with what you bought. They may also mention how much they like what you bought and how happy they think you'll be with it. Often, they are someone who has waited on you in the store. They have your entire buying history too and may ask how you are enjoying a previous purchase or mention something relative. It's personal service facilitated by a computer rather than you having to go to the store this time.

You don't fight Amazon or anyone else with pricing. You'll always lose in those battles. You fight and win with service.

When I worked for my long term employer, I was involved in several turn around situations. Never did I accomplish one or attempt to do so with reductions in staff or with price reductions. It was always sales and service.

One other aside. A group of customer service reps of companies like AT&T and Time Warner and Spectrum and Comcast were surveyed. They pointed out many problems, but one was that by the time the customer ever spoke to them they were already furious over the phone tree and the hold times. Then often they'd be sent back through the tree to be transferred to the right person to help them.

I love technology, love the gadgets, must try everything new. However, they're all tools to help us, not to replace and eliminate.

Another pet peeve of mine is to call for support and not only is there a language challenge, but worse, an awareness shortfall as the person helping you is thousands of miles from the problem. They don't know what is going on in South Florida or NC or Texas. They can't even reach that office. It's like following up on an Amazon shipment, you'll never talk to anyone at the Amazon logistics or UPS location actually in possession of your package.

If you make it hard enough to for the customers to contact you, a lot of them will give up the effort. This can be useful in situations where the customer has no other viable options (e.g. home cable tv service).

Attachments

• apathy.PNG
    apathy.PNG
    182 KB · Views: 33
  • disservice.jpg
    disservice.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 36
Getting back to Dockwa.... For those who have found it helpful, what did you like about it vs booking directly with the marina?

Getting back to Dockwa.... For those who have found it helpful, what did you like about it vs booking directly with the marina?

Ease of use.

Don't have to call and hope someone is available/will feel like answering the phone (see post #44). Less chance of miscommunication when making a reservation. Can request a reservation at anytime, not just during marina office hours (might not get an immediate reply though).

Facility info for multiple marinas is available in the app. Don't have to call multiple places to ask what services/facilities are available at each place. Can quickly locate a marina that has a facility you need (e.g. laundry, pump out, courtesy car).

Folks that have used this, ( I have not yet) can you still later get your discount? I have a participating yacht club discount that everyone has applied, but I see the rates on the App much higher than I’ve paid? Do you just use the App for the reservation and pay later?

Thanks.

Folks that have used this, ( I have not yet) can you still later get your discount? I have a participating yacht club discount that everyone has applied, but I see the rates on the App much higher than I’ve paid? Do you just use the App for the reservation and pay later?

Thanks.
Yes, you put it in the notes and the marina can adjust the charge. They can also do it when you get to the marina and adjust.

We have used Dockwa in New England for the last 4 years and it is fantastic! We have never had an issue in the event that we have to cancel due to weather or mechanical issues. The descriptions of the marinas that we stay at are always accurate and the facilities associated with Dockwa are always top notch. I cannot say enough good about this app. Good luck!

QUOTE=Alaskan Sea-Duction;835450]Has anyone used this service?

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/indu...AwnrH3BQBkoeEbMjPel5xbEwb2wdQw&_hsmi=81639664[/QUOTE]

When you are cruising in unfamiliar water, it is a great app to use in order to see what options you have for Marinas. It is easy to use and I have never had a problem with it. I've probably booked 20 - 30 times through Dockwa.

Let' face it folks, Dockwa is the clearing house and it is a great tool. You still have to rely on the 10 dollar an hour person on the other end. They are usually nice people but not always on their game nor do they work like they own the marina.

I have used Dockwa maybe a dozen times over past couple of New England seasons. Works well. No problem getting immediate refund if cancel, sometimes despite the marina's policy. Marinas like it, so treat customers w reservations well. So far, so good.

I've used Dockwa, but only because I was forced to do so. Some places are essentially outsourcing their booking system to dockwa to be automated. (e.g Edgartown Public Mooorings, Hyannis Marina, etc).

If you want to make a reservation, their website redirects you to Dockwa when you attempt to make a reservation online. In fact, I once called a place and reached a human, who then directed me to their website, which then redirected me to Dockwa. :)

It's as good as any online booking site (Expedia, Travelocity, etc).

We have used Dockwa and Snag-a-slip a few times, but no longer do. The reason we stopped is because of the difficulty getting a refund when we had a mechanical problem and arrived to the marina a day late. It was a hassle getting a refund, both for us as well as for the marina.

Its just easier and more friendly to call the marina, at least for us.

Dock wa

All the comments regarding customer service aside, transients are just that, and not looked at the same way by marinas as long term customers, even though they pay a premium. Here today, gone tomorrow.

We see often marinas are short handed and have no extra bodies to answer phones as well as provide fuel and line handling assistance, so often we leave messages for return phone calls

We use Dock Wa in Florida, but primarily for information, where we make the actual arrangements direct. So far no marina has demanded we use Dock Wa in lieu of direct contact.

Lots of folks don't like it because CC payment processes when res. is accepted by marina. Lots of folks don't show for their verbal res. either apparently. I find Dockwa app preferable to waiting for someone to pick up during busy times. I don't have a lot of restrictions so usually I let the system process on its own. If time is critical, I put in the reservation, but call before pushing send. If they pick up and can meet my needs, I push send and all the details are there for them-much better than trying to shout over the wind and engine noise, relaying size, beam, single 50A etc. Since all the vessel details, BoatUs discounts etc. are already stored in the app, it's much faster and easier imo.

Dockwa is a service to Marina owners. It is basically carrying out a glorified merchant bank services on credit card transactions. Unless everything goes well then the customer will be involved in doing a lot of the work in resolution. Most Marina owners have not empowered the dock hands with a view to what’s going off or the ability to modify leaving the customer and the dock hands to figure it out on arrival. It’s not a best practice for marina reservations from a customer perspective but may be attractive to Marina owners wishing to shave something off the cc transaction fees. My experience has been prices increase and the experience is neutral to worse than pre implementation. The cancellation policies have only started post Dockwa ( so thank them for planting that idea). I have and will continue to boycott such marinas where I have a choice. The trend is not a good move for the transient cruiser.

Pitiful

I have been screwed more by this group “ Dockwa “. I prefer to speak with the dock master, too often dockwa is simply a middleman that skims a little off the top and block any ability to book dockage with the marina. Headache after headache after headache !

We used it several times bringing the Endeavour from Ft. Myers to New Orleans. Found it easy to use and a lot of marinas use it. However, you do have to commit and give a credit card to reserve. Have not tried to cancel yet, but I can see that it might be a hassle

Back
Top Bottom