Docking and Handling Single Engine Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to comment on the "necessity" of side doors. MANY boats do not have those. I agree that they are a good feature but they are not "necessary".

I have only the rear door into the cockpit. However we have no problem handling and securing our boat. Our lines , bow and stern, come to the cockpit entry passage through the railing at the sides.

Either my wife or I, when single handing, prepare the lines ahead of time for easy grabbing. The bow is secured normally to the last rail stanchion just ahead of the cockpit entry.. The stern line, to its cleat, after wrapping through and around the rail stanchion immediately astern of the cockpit entry.

When needed the bow line is set into a camcleat [sail boat gear and a good one] . The stern line is left with one loop, not a wrap, around the cleat with the bulk of the line easily available on the deck. Both lines can be grabbed and either handed to some one or when alone I can grab and go with both.

Yes, potentially we could goof and have a line go overboard but since we have done this for more than 30 years without hiccoughs I think I can say it works and well.

The only mistake I made was not providing a camcleat for the stern line, something I think I will remedy in the near future after a few other things get remedied.

A boat without side doors can be made to work with some thought. If you can find one with then great.

They are actually variable speed electric motors. There are a couple of good YouTube videos. One titled "Back Cove 37 Docking System". Another is by SidePower which does a walk through on replacing the old style with the variable speed motors. As they are not just on/off anymore you just give them the juice required. They are also much quieter than the old. I don't know if they will adapt to all boats but they work very nicely on the Downeaster.

I can't remember if anyone has mentioned "Yacht Controller" on this thread. I'd guess something like that could be the logical extension of single with bow and stern thrusters. Assuming wireless control, one could be single-handing and standing just about anywhere on any boat. I assume compatible with mechanical engines and so forth...

Just takes more money$$$...

-Chris

I'm not proud of my ability to handle my boat single handed although it's only a Mainship 34 it doesn't have much rudder nor a bow thruster.

I simply make do. to those of you with bow thruster's I and i'm sure no other single engine captains looks down on you and like myself are simply jealous.

I operate from inside the salon and while visibility is slightly reduced I find it much easier/quicker to already be downstairs to grab something that presents itself.

Backing in under stiff current in my new spot can be tricky so if it's difficult and i'm alone I simply pull in forward.

When needed the bow line is set into a camcleat [sail boat gear and a good one] . The stern line is left with one loop, not a wrap, around the cleat with the bulk of the line easily available on the deck. Both lines can be grabbed and either handed to some one or when alone I can grab and go with both.

Can you talk about how you use the camcleat? Just to have a smaller tail on a longer line when you stage it? Do you pop it out of the camcleat once you are on the dock?

They are actually variable speed electric motors. There are a couple of good YouTube videos. One titled "Back Cove 37 Docking System". Another is by SidePower which does a walk through on replacing the old style with the variable speed motors. As they are not just on/off anymore you just give them the juice required. They are also much quieter than the old. I don't know if they will adapt to all boats but they work very nicely on the Downeaster.

Thanks for the clarification Rob.

With twin engines, thrusters are expensive and non-essential unless one expects significant sideways currents while docking. Leastwise that's my conclusion observing friends handling their two-engined boats sans thrusters.

Thrusters are extremely handy on manyvtwins if you lose an engine though.

Some twins are bears to maneuver single.

I use the thruster every time I take the boat out, if nothing else than to "exercise" it and to confirm it continues to work.

If I get a single screw I'd like to have a thruster in the 21st Century! Back east in the 1960's I docked singles with not even a whisper on the docks of boat's having thrusters.

Twins are by far my preference.

Back
Top Bottom