Docking "aha!" moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're learning about this important aspect of boating and offer the following:
Twin screws, bow thruster.

1) Establish good communication with crew. Radio headsets are great! No need for her to yell when she can cuss me out in a normal voice. Radios allow this.

2) When docking, I'm in neutral 80% of the time- offering only appropriate short bursts, much like a capsule in space.

3) No jumping onto dock. I get vessel close she get her secured. Fine tuning of the lines can happen later.

4) She gives specific instruction to "helpers" who may appear. They almost never listen, though.

5) Never get your hand or finger in the loop as it is dropped over the cleat! Her fingertip was 2/3 severed! She was distracted as the vessel was nearing the "end" of it's fixed spring line.

Attachments

• IMG_1792.jpg
    IMG_1792.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Dang man!
That looks painful :(

You're right.
Hands and feet clear of all objects at all time.

Had a crew member trying to "help" dock a small boat we were on, in high wind and rough water conditions once. She kept sitting on the dock, and placing her foot between the gunnel and the dock "to keep us away."

We really do have it under control, and I keep telling her to remove her feet/hands from between the two before she loses a body part!!

Hope your lady is doing well with that injury.

OD

This happened in late March.

She applied direct pressure (she's a nurse) and I immediately drove her to the the local urgent care, which was open that Sunday evening. We arrived around 5:15!

They took her in quickly and the doctor used 10 stitches. The nail is a wait-and-see situation. The fingertip is still numb but seems to be healing great.

BTW- I was amazed that the dish cloth she pressed on the wound had very little blood- probably less than an ounce! Direct pressure was the reason, I'm sure.

I (we) had never been cautioned about this but it was a tough lesson-learned!

Thanks for the well wishes.

Quick thinking on her part.
It was one of the first lessons I learned way back when I had hair-LOL.

Hell of a way to learn, but neither one of you will ever forget.
Thoughts and prayers for a full recovery.

OD

One problem with docking with only one method, or relying on lines to get and keep the boat alongside.....is you are setting yourself up for failure when cruising as all the tricks in the book need to be practiced regularly.

I don't know about you boys, but for me getting on the VHF and saying "I'm not very good at docking" brings out all the help one could imagine. And then if the landing is less than spectacular I'm already covered.

But if it's picture perfect I can smile and say "Thanks boys"

For the record, I'm not the best at docking and along side works great for me. Backing into a slip scares the bejeebers out of me! Of course I can bow in and then swap her around with lines. There is a distinct advantage to having a small boat.

I can reach out the helm window to grab the line, but my midship cleat is about 2 meters foreword. Slipping the line on there is probably more difficult than reaching the dock cleat.
I was going to move the cleat further back but the aft end of the boat doesn't pull into the dock nearly as well.

Ditto on Seaweed when I bought her. The forward cleat was near the bow and the dinky toy pretend cleat only useful for a fender was just aft of the pilothouse doors.

One of the first things I did was add two proper sized cleats about a foot forward of the doors. Seaweed has doors on both port and starboard so docking is not too problematic. Helm is on center.

And if it were looking like an issue, I'd just anchor. That's easy.

Also, I go slow -- which is sometimes a problem (not enough forward momentum) ... It's something I need to practice at a deserted dock once this new engine install is complete.

rclarke246:
Rt. Hand Communication finger February, 2015 Dominican Republic. Removing anchor chain from gypsy without double checking anchor. From entering to exiting the E. Room at the local Midico was 20 minutes cost $0.00. They asked for my name when I was leaving. Same numbness, etc...and # of stitches.

Your right Janice. We rarely "have to" dock in a particular place or method.

You have a distinct advantage, though. You don't have a male ego to get in the way.

I occasionally suck it up and dock (or anchor) wherever is easiest, and wait it out until the winds become more favourable.
Radioing for assistance would be a struggle though. It's a bit like asking for directions when driving. I prefer to wander around lost for hours.

We use this when hooking up to oil platforms for bottom fishing. a 10' piece of pvc pipe, a 1/2" rope with a loop the piece of garden hose keeps the loop open to fit over a cleat or even a piling. It would be a big help docking, I recently made a smaller one using vinyl coated SS wire instead of rope it works well too. it has a large loop about 20" dia on one end for pilings and a smaller loop on the other end for lock pins or cleats I don't have a picture of it now but will post in a few days. Of course a bow thruster and a big rudder help on a single engine boat.

Attachments

• rig loop 1.jpg
    rig loop 1.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 94
Ray is on Mahalo Moi's port stern quarter, a guard position he took when we departed (with single engine) Pittsburg Marina at our March TF get-together. It was a tight squeeze, only inches separated our boats and despite my boat's starboard prop walk, no fending off was necessary. I took a similar position on my starboard stern quarter when Ray arrived after I a day earlier. Ray's expert handling his boat's twin engines made fending unnecessary too. ... Everyone's waiting for the Coot to toot its horns.

img_329994_0_241fe027cf62d85a50d0aac4f68f43f4.jpg

Last edited:
Well thank you for that picture Koot... I now have a serious case of Cary'D Away transom envy. And the beautiful pup on the swim platform looks right at home too. [A tuna-door is on the someday wish list.]

Life is good afloat, isn't it? :)

Ray is on Mahalo Moi's port stern quarter, a guard position he took when we departed (with single engine) Pittsburg Marina at our March TF get-together. It was a tight squeeze, only inches separated our boats and despite my boat's starboard prop walk, no fending off was necessary. I took a similar position on my starboard stern quarter when Ray arrived after I a day earlier. Ray's expert handling his boat's twin engines made fending unnecessary too. ... Everyone's waiting for the Coot to toot its horns.

img_330009_0_241fe027cf62d85a50d0aac4f68f43f4.jpg

..."toot its horns"? Heck, we're standing around preparing to hold on to loose objects that fall off our boats when you "unleash" your horns!!!

With 2 screws and a bow thruster I have never used the rudders in docking.
I suppose that if I knew what I was doing their implementation could be a benefit, especially in strong cross wind or current. Remember, we're new at this stuff.

Stern-in, it makes sense that the aft edges on the rudders should "point" the way in, right? (I have a rudder indicator to lessen the confusion)

Oh, as an aside, when preparing to cast off, we rig 2 short temporary lines, doubled- back, to hold the boat close to the finger pier. Once we're ready we find it easy to deal with just these 2, from the boat of course.

Thank you for all your tips! We need all the help we can get.

With 2 screws and a bow thruster I have never used the rudders in docking.

We have a twin and almost always use the rudders while maneuvering. They make the boat vastly more maneuverable. With the rudders, power and a single spring line we can pin the boat to a dock even with a strong wind or current (or both) pushing us off the dock.

The use of the rudders and differential thrust and a bow line ready to slip lets us get off a dock with a wind pushing us hard onto it and boats moored immediately ahead of and behind us.

The rudders and differential thrust let us pivot the boat much faster and more positively than differential thrust alone.

More recently, after observing the maneuvering of the commercial fish boats and tugs in our harbor, we introduced the use of power into our maneuvering, sometimes with both engines, more often with just one in combination with differential thrust. This opened up a hole new level of versatility when maneuvering and is one reason we will never own a single engine boat. Playing with two engines, transmissions and the rudders is way more fun. (We have run single engine boats so know the difference in maneuvering versatility).

Last edited:
I posted on an earlier thread regarding a similar topic. On our smaller single screw boat without any additional docking equipment, we have found a simple solution. As I operate from the fly bridge when docking a small mountaineer grappling hook was purchased which has its own 35 foot nylon line. We contain this in a small bucket with holes cut in the bottom next to the helm. When approaching in a comfortable mode and close to the dock I heave this grapple hook out over the bull rail or if the dock is clear and no bull rail, over the other side of the dock or float. I can walk forward and back as deemed necessary, acting like a bow or stern thruster to a degree. Tie off on a center board cleat and then proceed to full line handling.
Lots of surprised dock watchers as the grapple hook sails over the side! Yes, I clear the range before firing!!
Al- Ketchikan

I posted on an earlier thread regarding a similar topic. On our smaller single screw boat without any additional docking equipment, we have found a simple solution. As I operate from the fly bridge when docking a small mountaineer grappling hook was purchased which has its own 35 foot nylon line. We contain this in a small bucket with holes cut in the bottom next to the helm. When approaching in a comfortable mode and close to the dock I heave this grapple hook out over the bull rail or if the dock is clear and no bull rail, over the other side of the dock or float. I can walk forward and back as deemed necessary, acting like a bow or stern thruster to a degree. Tie off on a center board cleat and then proceed to full line handling.
Lots of surprised dock watchers as the grapple hook sails over the side! Yes, I clear the range before firing!!
Al- Ketchikan

Wow! What if there is a vessel on the other side of a pier? I guess the answer lies in making a very controlled toss from close in.

Is it a Rocna grapple?
Sorry I just had to ask.

My home slip is a double fingered one. I came home from my maiden voyage single handing Stillwater today. A couple of folks came to my slip to help - it was nice of them - however there's nothing for them to do really. Attempting to fend off would be downright suicidal and once I'm in and stopped the boat isn't going anywhere. So I can just as easily step off and tie up as have someone do it for me. Now if I am trying to dock on a side tie where either wind or current is blowing me off, I would be very happy for a couple of people to be there to grab lines and make them fast.

The challenge for me is that the slip is only 2' wider than my boat and there are two concrete pilings on the ends of the fingers. There's usually a cross wind blowing too - so getting the bow between them is a challenge - and I have a large overhang - so I'll hit the pilings well before the boat touches the dock.

Richard

Last edited:
Not a Rocna, However, one could cut off one of the fingers, bend a couple of the other fingers,chrome plate it, add a section of chain to weight down the scope of the heaving line and you may have a close copy of an "Eric" approved Rocna.:flowers: Be careful though because of you don't read the instructions, you can easily hit the boat on the other side of the dock. Like don't read:facepalm: "Clear the range before firing" in the first post.:banghead:

Al:hide:

I enjoyed all the airplane landing comments, I just wonder how well a plane would land if the runway was moving with a 3 or 4 knot current.
I somewhat take exception to the wind and current being referred to as "threats", I am sure that they can be at times but not always.
dan

ANYTHING that can be a threat "sometimes" should be considered a threat ALL the time. I realize you can use some adverse conditions to your advantage. But generally, wind and tide are a threat to your operation. Even in your example, the tide was a threat until it shifted in the other direction. Your master knew the threat....and he waited for it to minimize.

And as far as the questions of "how did you get good...."....
My answer would be humility. You never ever assume that you are good or that you have mastered the art. You are in a continuous state of trying to master it.

The drummer for Rush, Neil Peart, said it perfectly in an interview. The interviewer asked him if he ever got tired of playing the song "Tom Sawyer" in concert. His Answer......"No because I haven't played it perfectly yet!!!".....and he wrote the song!!!!
There is a lot to be learned in that simple statement!!!!

And as far as the questions of "how did you get good...."....
My answer would be humility. You never ever assume that you are good or that you have mastered the art. You are in a continuous state of trying to master it.

The drummer for Rush, Neil Peart, said it perfectly in an interview. The interviewer asked him if he ever got tired of playing the song "Tom Sawyer" in concert. His Answer......"No because I haven't played it perfectly yet!!!".....and he wrote the song!!!!
There is a lot to be learned in that simple statement!!!!

That's a great quote. The way I saw it, every flight is just a series of thousands and thousands of corrections, most we never think about and a few we can never forget. No flight ever came off without a mistake being made in some small way. Most mistakes are subsequently compensated for, but they occurred nonetheless.

After each flight, I'd review my significant mistakes in my mind as a sort of personal skills inventory and devise a way to prevent it in the future...much like a flight instructor would review a student's performance.

Boating is much the same...a series of corrections and recorrections. I make mistakes and then I correct. Sometimes along the way, I learn how to avoid the mistake in the first place, but without a plan, it ain't gonna happen by chance.

This weekend I was at a fishing club campout. One of the new guys was having troubles maneuvering and handling his new-to-him 23 ft cuddy and asked for help. So I went out with him and observed his operation, then made suggestions on how I'd do it differently. He was very receptive and saw an immediate improvement in his performance which led to greater confidence.

Then we came in to the marina to dock. It seems that every docking event is a near-emergency with this guy and he keeps blaming his wife for not doing it right. As it turns out, this guy has ZERO anticipation skills. He only reacts to events and does not plan ahead in his mind to avoid problems. He never discusses what he needs or expects from his wife while docking. It's like he expects it all to go well by chance! I've never met a boater like him before but I'm sure there are plenty out there.

Sort of like learning to sail. Learning to sail takes maybe an hour. Learning to sail well takes the rest of your life.

It seems that every docking event is a near-emergency with this guy and he keeps blaming his wife for not doing it right. As it turns out, this guy has ZERO anticipation skills. He only reacts to events and does not plan ahead in his mind to avoid problems. He never discusses what he needs or expects from his wife while docking. It's like he expects it all to go well by chance! I've never met a boater like him before but I'm sure there are plenty out there.

I think there are a lot of those out there. I(we) take for granted our aviation background and how important it is to brief everyone that is participating in the event. One of my passengers once asked me if flying big planes has any relation to operating a boat. And my answer was that that it certainly helps. Not necessarily the immediate dynamics of it all....but the mindset. I get into much hairyer situations in an airplane where the consequences of mistakes are obviously extreme. Like I said in 2008 when this thread was started....you have to know your threats and you have to have a plan to mitigate/eliminate those threats. And you must brief those involved with how you are going to execute that plan and be open to suggestions. And if you get into an "Unsafe Aircraft State"(UAS) you have to be able to recover. Recovery is your last chance at avoiding an incident/accident. That is when you have to "do some of that pilot ****".

As the saying goes.....a superior pilot uses his superior judgement so he does not have to use/rely on his superior skill!!!!

It seems that every docking event is a near-emergency with this guy and he keeps blaming his wife for not doing it right. As it turns out, this guy has ZERO anticipation skills. He only reacts to events and does not plan ahead in his mind to avoid problems.

Amen....I always instruct my crew on what is about to happen and what they need to do. (Plus, by bow thruster makes me look like a genius every time!!)

If it's just my wife and I on the boat we know what needs to be done in a docking situation so well that regardless of who's driving and who's the "deckhand" we rarely have to actually say anything to each other as we're executing the maneuver aside from the deckhand letting the driver know when such-and-such a line is attached. Or in the case of pivoting backwards out of a tight spot while being blown onto the dock, the driver tells the person with the bow breast line when to release and haul it in as the boat backs off.

And since we always drive from the lower helm, communication is easy since both of us are only a few feet apart.

When we have guests and we feel that they are competent to help in a challenging docking situation (which is the only kind of guest we allow on the boat anyway:)) the rule is that whichever one of us (me or my wife) is being the "deckhand" he or she has charge over the helpers. The driver just drives and communicates only with the deckhand.

We have found that this eliminates conflicting orders and this confusion on the part of our "assistants."

Prior to every docking or departure other than our home slip my wife and I discuss the situation and what our plan of approach (or departure) is prior to executing the actual maneuver. If there are options or "what happens if?" questions we figure them out beforehand.

If we have guests, whoever the deckhand is tells each guest exactly what their task is, why they're doing it, and what their actions area supposed to result in.

So far in all the years we've been doing this, it's worked great.

Then we came in to the marina to dock. It seems that every docking event is a near-emergency with this guy and he keeps blaming his wife for not doing it right. As it turns out, this guy has ZERO anticipation skills. He only reacts to events and does not plan ahead in his mind to avoid problems. He never discusses what he needs or expects from his wife while docking. It's like he expects it all to go well by chance! I've never met a boater like him before but I'm sure there are plenty out there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom