Docking a 44' twin screw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First, my manual and I were approved by the USCG, plus they NEVR dock single handed and rately have single engine/ rudder boats. :)

I think I am in charge of docking my boat, in fact I know I am....but some dockmasters don't know that and one I argued with would not let me stay for my overnight reservation despite the guy in the Flemming in front of me who agreed the dockmasters method endangered his boat.

And usung a midship line.... I still feel it is only occasionally the best or OK line. Single handed in a single screw boat iit is almost or is impossible in some situations to get parallel to the dock close enough without linehandlers... So if that is your go to without being good at using other lines, you are screwed.

Oh, and some places the current is definitely a bigger issue than wind as it happens every day, twice a day in varying amounts and switches to reverse the difficulty sometimes.

Good points.

And, regarding the single engine, solo operation.... that's me a lot of the time. And yes, there's times that I just can't get the job done but fortunately not many. The worst is backing into a slip with a cross wind or current. I can really make that one look comical. So the answer is to put a fender board up to maneuver on the downwind, outside piling and go in bow first and secure the upwind side. Sometimes that works.

Good points.

And, regarding the single engine, solo operation.... that's me a lot of the time. And yes, there's times that I just can't get the job done but fortunately not many. The worst is backing into a slip with a cross wind or current. I can really make that one look comical. So the answer is to put a fender board up to maneuver on the downwind, outside piling and go in bow first and secure the upwind side. Sometimes that works.

. . .and to our single engine brethren - a tip of the hat. We stayed in Beaufort Yacht Basin for a couple months last year. Watched those watermen park their commercial boats, all singles, like a ninja over and over. I'm a boating 101 compared to your skills. Wonderful to watch a single come in smooth. Total respect for that talent.

I think I am in charge of docking my boat, in fact I know I am....but some dockmasters don't know that and one I argued with would not let me stay for my overnight reservation despite the guy in the Flemming in front of me who agreed the dockmasters method endangered his boat.

Wait, you actually had a dockmaster argue with you about how to run your own boat? Crazy... I am thankfully yet to encounter a dockmaster who doesn't understand the basic premise of captain is in charge of the vessel.

On the rare occasions I have had someone dock-side try and yell orders at me or my crew (usually some "hotshot" captain off another boat), I pull away and resolve on radio or pull up bow or stern-to and speak with them face to face. Sometimes find it helpful to frame as "I'm trying to practice with my crew so appreciate if you let us dock unassisted" or "I'm practicing my single-handing" if ego is encountered.

Breast lone

Not sure I understand.

Define a "breast line", and a boat "to far out of position?"

Re: "Define a "breast line"...

A breast line (or, a 'line abreast') is any line that is perpendicular to the centerline of the vessel and secures it to a dock or another vessel.

Usage: (from painful personal experience) "When rafting up with other vessels, using only the short breast lines can be dangerous, as wave or wake action can impose shock loads that can snap the lines or rip out a cleat."

Usage: (from painful personal experience) "When rafting up with other vessels, using only the short breast lines can be dangerous, as wave or wake action can impose shock loads that can snap the lines or rip out a cleat."

Also from experience, use of a springy nylon line will greatly reduce those shock loads and possible avoid ripping out that cleat.

A breast line (or, a 'line abreast') is any line that is perpendicular to the centerline of the vessel and secures it to a dock or another vessel.

A breast line will also pull the cleat out of a dock if things get rolling. Best not to use if you are at a dock subject to big wakes or rolling seas.

"Professional" docking assistance as from a dockmaster or its assistants is virtually absent here. Is this an East Coat practice? Here you are basically on your own except for possible boat neighbors whose assistance I often decline. I'm keen on using a breast line for the initial tie-up. It's helpful when deck access is possible immediately (one step) from the pilothouse and the boat's deck not far from dock level. :D

Attachments

• leaving berth.jpg
    leaving berth.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom