Dock Pedestals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sea hag

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Jubilee
Vessel Make
Prima Seahorse
We have a freshwater lake house, grandkids beginning to swim, and an older electric boat lift at the dock. Recipe for potential disaster. So, I'm having an electrician rewire the dockhouse and lift pursuant to the applicable codes furnished by Boat US. While doing so, I am interested in the installation of a dock pedastal in order to dock our trawler overnight with power and water. There are a tremendous number of types and options available. I would appreciate thoughts from the electrical gurus on wiring suggestions, and dock owners regarding the good and bad of pedastals. Anything else I should consider is welcomed.

We design and build marinas for a living and unless the client specs a different product we use Eaton. We typically install the Lighthouse pedestal but the Hatteras would probably be adequate for non-commercial application. Take a look at their website

Marina Power Pedestals and Marine Lighting

Cheers!!

Lots of pieces and parts can be made to work and work safely.

Some of the worst/ cheaply made, easily broken setups I have seen are the pre made pedestals.

Some of the best, least corroded, longest lasting, and probably less expensive have been custom made and built into dock boxes or hung on posts.

think of what would work for you....and price it out with a competent electrician.

I and several of my neighbors have Tidewater Pedestals. 50 Amp, 30 Amp and 15 Amp outlets plus water and TV and a docklight with Photo Cell to turn light on and off. Powder coated and sits about 12" off the dock. I think I paid around $700. for mine.

Thanks for suggestions. Now to find the Boat Bucks after Tax Day !

If you are handy , and its only for one or two boats , a commercial electrical store will have fine waterproof GRP boxes you can build up what you want.

As a minimum 250/50 marine and 125/30marine and 120/ 15 house plug would be useful with each protected by a breaker.

Less than half price of the pretty commercial marina units.

If you are handy , and its only for one or two boats , a commercial electrical store will have fine waterproof GRP boxes you can build up what you want.

As a minimum 250/50 marine and 125/30marine and 120/ 15 house plug would be useful with each protected by a breaker.

Less than half price of the pretty commercial marina units.

And probably more durable.....I couldn't believe the number of broken and severely corroded fixtures that I came across this year to/from Florida that were on standard posts.

Also of note, my power cord would not fit into the single, yellow 50A fixtures because of the locking ring. I had to cut it off to use that type of receptacle. For the ones with exposed female ends, no issue, but they were also the worst corroded ones.

Casper Marina in Swansboro had a pretty good idea, they hardwired pigtails with the female connectors that were just long enough to nearly reach the dock. No stress from some 90 degree connection, especially nice for the 30A.

".I couldn't believe the number of broken and severely corroded fixtures that I came across this year to/from Florida that were on standard posts."

Its been years , but remember most of these power poles were probably underwater in past Hurricanes.

Takes a long time but they do eventually dissolve.

Back
Top Bottom