Old 07-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #1

City: Hampstead,NC
Vessel Name: HoneyBadger
Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
Dock mate crushes comment by another

Sunday i was at my Slip removing my Center Console to clean the bottom , Two slips down a guy lets his wife dock the boat ( Joy stick with bow,stern thrusters and twin engines) still i thought it was a nice job, Upon setting the lines and hooking up shore power . He walks over smiling looks at the old salt i am talking to " owner of a round stern wooden trawler" and comments "impressive docking don't you think"? before i could say Nice Job the old salt chimes in " well put a solo cup over that joy stick and remove the thrusters and do it with one engine that would impress me he said ! Poor guy said see you guys and walked away i looked at the old man he laughed at me and said " don't worry i am sure all those boats that never leave the dock were impressed" i was pretty impressed with the electronic controled docking the old guy Not so much !

honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The comment does seem pretty harsh. Maybe if I put some thrusters on my boat, my wife wouldn't be so nervous about docking it.

HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Monday a passerby noted my bow thruster due to the symbols on the hull. Responded it is handy when maneuvering with a single screw. Yeah, he said, without it it would be difficult to maneuver between the dock fingers. Responded it could be readily done without the thruster, but it is a heck of a lot easier with the thruster. (And to myself, no less sinful than those with two propellers controlling them independently.)

Old 07-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
Sunday i was at my Slip removing my Center Console to clean the bottom , Two slips down a guy lets his wife dock the boat ( Joy stick with bow,stern thrusters and twin engines) still i thought it was a nice job, Upon setting the lines and hooking up shore power . He walks over smiling looks at the old salt i am talking to " owner of a round stern wooden trawler" and comments "impressive docking don't you think"? before i could say Nice Job the old salt chimes in " well put a solo cup over that joy stick and remove the thrusters and do it with one engine that would impress me he said ! Poor guy said see you guys and walked away i looked at the old man he laughed at me and said " don't worry i am sure all those boats that never leave the dock were impressed" i was pretty impressed with the electronic controled docking the old guy Not so much !

I think the old salt and I would have been more impressed had the guy and wife been standing on the dock and bringing the boat in.

I have seen that once. A captain had to move his 80 foot or so motor yacht. While standing on the dock, by himself, he started his engines, untied from the dock and moved the yacht ahead 40 feet to fit us in behind him, thrusted tight and retied.

That impressed me..but for a completely different reason than boat handling/seamanship.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I think the old guy is an a$$hole. Impressed or not, there is no excuse for rudeness especially for a man who is proud of his wifes accomplishment. I'm sure there are a lot of men on here that couldn't get their wifes to dock under any conditions. Some of us are more fortunate than others.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I think the old guy is an a$$hole. Impressed or not, there is no excuse for rudeness especially for a man who is proud of his wifes accomplishment. I'm sure there are a lot of men on here that couldn't get their wifes to dock under any conditions. Some of us are more fortunate than others.
True...I missed the part where the wife was the operator.

I have a friend who docks her twin gas, 34 Sea Ray pretty good...and it's not an easy boat because of the small props.

A lot of guys comment, nitpicking when their own performances are't exactly stellar.

So yes the old guy could have been more gracious.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I agree with the old man, but being a good marina neighbor often means keeping your opinions to yourself.

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I am impressed anytime a woman navigates a vessel close quarters. Not downing women but mine won't touch the controls unless we are going straight. My son on the other hand is 7 and he can't wait. That technology is impressive though and hey, the old man has earned his opinion.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
Guru

City: Georgia
Mark: Is there some reason to having your sails up while dockside?
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Mark: Is there some reason to having your sails up while dockside?
Mark docking under sail? Now, that's impressive!
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #11

City: Hampstead,NC
Vessel Name: HoneyBadger
Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
I had to check the Honey Badger the only joy stick on her is the search light control,closest thing to a thruster is make sure the bow is into the wind when backing into the slip. i would LOVE a thruster but shes so shallow in draft i think it would just spray water all over my dock mates boats. Yea the old guys wife told me the last Florida trip he did entire thing with nothing but charts and a depth sounder. left all the nice electronics off ? Hey it is his boat his wife just rolls her eyes
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
Guru

We were fishing the Gulf Stream off Morehead City when a northeaster moved in about 12 hours early. It kicked up 12' seas in the Stream, and 8' outside the Stream. With about 60 miles to run home it was a tough slog. We had to ride the backs of steep breakers coming in Beaufort Inlet. We were beat up pretty badly, and looked it.

When I got back to the dock, one of the old local salts took a look at me. He asked if it was a tough day. I said yeah we got the crap beat out of us.

He looked at me and said, "son, what were you doing out there in that skiff". I must have looked crest fallen. I just stood there. He waited a minute. Then grinned gave me a wink and walked away. He knew what he was doing. They will jerk your chain. That was 40 years ago.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
i would LOVE a thruster but shes so shallow in draft i think it would just spray water all over my dock mates boats.

Maybe mount a modified electric trolling motor to the bow?
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #14

Let them say what they may, in the six years we've had this boat I have never had to back out and try again to get in to the slip or had a problem at the fuel dock or any where else for that matter. A single engine and bow thruster is a great combo.
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
Guru

The "old salts" in our club say, "thrusters are for people who can't handle a boat."
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
More like "old s**ts" and pretenders with toy boats and not much else.

Real mariners don't need to say crap like that because they know better and don't need to.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Sometimes it is easy sometimes not. (Single no thruster) The most trouble I have is solo. Either the bow or stern will drift away from the finger and I have to scramble to get her tied off without looking like I did it alone, or bumping finders with the boat next to me.
Getting to old to scramble much.

SD
Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowboat 37 View Post
Let them say what they may, in the six years we've had this boat I have never had to back out and try again to get in to the slip or had a problem at the fuel dock or any where else for that matter. A single engine and bow thruster is a great combo.
I have to agree with that. I have had a single without a bow thruster. It was really no problem to handle. I had a single with a bow thruster. It was a joy to handle. I have twin screws with a bow thruster now. The thruster is really used to move the bow over to pilings for tying up in the slip. It is really handy for that. My Blackfin is a single (that prop walks like crazy in reverse). It is no problem because I am used to it.

The world is moving to technology, and that means boats too. Computers driving the fuel system, computers controlling the docking, and pod drives. I guess I am old fashioned, but I love my mechanical fuel injection, mechanical controls, and straight inboard engines. It won't be many years before there will be little choice in this.

To me the best set up is a single with a bow thruster. It is the best of both worlds.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Sounds like a bitter old man. Some people have class and some don't.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
Guru

errror in movie upload...stand by